Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BMW concept motorcycle so safe, no helmet needed

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar

BMW concept motorcycle so safe, no helmet needed

From this Road Show by Cnet article:
    https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/b...tag=CAD590a51e

Cars may be gaining advanced safety features, from collision prevention to lane keeping assist, but motorcycles have been left behind. Sometime in the next 30 years, BMW expects to change that, showing its first idea for an unspillable bike with the Motorrad Vision Next 100.

This concept motorcycle includes active safety systems that the company claims would eliminate the need for riders to wear a helmet and leathers.

On a cold day in a hot place. Remember the "unsinkable" Titanic? Besides, when all the things that make a motorcycle a motorcycle are removed, including risk and the need for rider skill, what's left is just an autonomous car. Might as well take the bus...

DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST -- 1988 R100GS "Bee"-- 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C -- 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

still running...somewhere lostbearings's Avatar
    I agree with RTRider. Why ride if there is no skill required?

I feel the same about self driving cars. If all cars have the smarts to simply follow the car in front and turn on the correct street at the correct speed, why buy a BMW vs Ford vs Honda? Why own a car? I might use Uber for everything and save the cash and go downhill skiiing. (unless they take the fun out of that also)

Go like hell, You'll get there quicker
    05-GS Rock Red 101k miles
    2013 TW200

I can't see why a helmet would not be required: that is quite a stretch. Is this bike going to magically eliminate left-turners, drunk drivers, and people on cell phones? How about deer, are they going to stop running out in front of us?

Come on BMW, stick to something at least a little believable.

Harry

Goofy.

And it will come with a projector visor to show the rider the best line through a corner.

Goofier.
    Bill Johnston

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    I can't see why a helmet would not be required: that is quite a stretch. Is this bike going to magically eliminate left-turners, drunk drivers, and people on cell phones? How about deer, are they going to stop running out in front of us?

Come on BMW, stick to something at least a little believable.

Harry
    Snake oil at a premium price.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF Lead RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter/ATV Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Track

All of the marvels of today are the dreams of yesterday's fools. However, most of the dreams of fools never pan out.

We can hope that this is one of the latter.
    Lee A. Dickinson - Danielsville, GA USA
    MOA 80364 | RA 29650 | ABC 3480 | IBA 8914
    1992 R100RS - 1993 K1100RS - 2013 R1200GS

"BMW says a visor that each rider will wear will help control and direct the bike. The commands from the visor are controlled by moving your eyes." Source: BMW Group

Oh my! No more looking at the scenery!

Also unbelievable:
    1) Looks like they beefed up the driveshaft
    2) No other vehicles on the road - anywhere...
    3) Deer will be implanted with similar collision-avoidance systems

Next iteration likely a virtual reality helmet so we don't need to leave the garage to ride or rally. Will old bikes just go zoom by these new bikes? See ya later, zoom.

Airbag suits?

so...
    you know i kinda keep up with this technology thing a little bit. So I watched the same video and listened to the same speech. Unfortunately it created more questions than it answered. Video was nice, presentation... a little cheesy for my tastes, and the information a little confusing. So the no helmet, suit it integrated into the concept, believe it or not I understand. I've recently purchased the Helite air bag turtle vest to go over my BMW riding jacket. Before I made the purchase I did a lot of research, some of which was emerging technology. BMW will have a "tether-less" air bag vest available next year I think. I have also seen video of an air bag "hood" that inflates from the collar and rapidly surrounds the head. It occurred to me in the speech that the riding suit was an airbag suit, encapsulating the rider and her head, in the event of a git-off. Though not mentioned specifically, when the presenter mentioned no helmet, this was the only technology advancement that I could imagine that would push the concept forward.

That said,
    The windscreen-less bike with only a visor will not be practical for rain, bugs, cold, high noise environment. The low speed, mild wind, gently blowing the models blond hair becomes a non-reality at sustained highway speeds. Protection from the elements will always be a factor in non bar hopping city commuting motorcycle riding. I suspected the gyro-stabilized bike was coming soon after i watched some video on a gyro-stabilized unicycle a couple of years ago. And ultimately, non emission, aka: electric transportation will not achieve practicality until battery recharging technology brings the recharge to full capacity in a timely manner, i.e. charging stations (not gas stations) that allow the bike or car to be charged in less than, mmmm... 30 minutes would be doable 15 minutes more practical. Speeds... no one wants a swoopy (technical term) new electric vehicle that has a max speed of 50mph. Cool new technology though. I'm all about new and improved, and forward thinking leadership.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 and #364
    SECMOA (BMW MOA secretary)

Quote Originally Posted by 8ninety8 View Post
    Next iteration likely a virtual reality helmet so we don't need to leave the garage to ride or rally. Will old bikes just go zoom by these new bikes? See ya later, zoom.
    Welcome to the Matrix
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

For those who have difficulty with innovation...
    minibike.jpg
    -don
    "If you don't treat yourself right, no one else will."
    '06 R1200RT, '13 F800GS, and '16 R1200GSA (wife's)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by nakwakto00 View Post
    For those who have difficulty with innovation...
    minibike.jpg
    Hey! Looks like the Coleman model for $499 at our local Walmarts.

It's never been innovation I feared ........... it's automation.

If forced to only ride cars and motorcycles that cannot be controlled by humans, time to buy better hiking boots (unless, of course, you would rather just hike in VR from the comfort of your living room?).
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF Lead RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter/ATV Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Track