• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW1600B introduction

Going after Honda F6B

This new version is directly going after the Honda F6B. Looks quite similar but of course brings so much more that the stock F6B. Lack of electronic ride suspension, five speed transmission, heated grips and seat.

Bagger

I love my XR and it will be staying in the man-cave! My wife loves riding as a passenger and has so for the last 12+ years but struggles (read short legs) in adjusting to the XR coming from a Concours14. The "Bagger" looks great for 2 up riding/touring and seems like it would be a better fit for my wife so I would be very interested in adding the K1600B to my BMW lineup! Will wait and do a demo ride with the wife which I`m sure will happen at Eurosport Asheville next spring/summer.

My dealer indicated a trunk would not be available. It would defeat the purpose as regards looks. It also appears that the bags are designed to stay attached as opposed to removable, hence the flip up rear fender for tire changes. It does look cool, though, and my wife thought it looked nice. When I told her there would be no trunk for a backrest, then it was out of the picture.

My dealer indicated a trunk would not be available. It would defeat the purpose as regards looks. It also appears that the bags are designed to stay attached as opposed to removable, hence the flip up rear fender for tire changes. It does look cool, though, and my wife thought it looked nice. When I told her there would be no trunk for a backrest, then it was out of the picture.

Ah, Corbin can make one for it. Al Jesse can too. :)

Ah, Corbin can make one for it. Al Jesse can too. :)
Exactly.

Someone can do it hopefully. Designing a really well integrated small trunk with back rest that doesn't destroy the overall look certainly won't be easy and would require some real design work. It would have to be quite small, but I'm quite sure it can be done and done well with enough thought and dedication to the overall design. Many passengers, understandably, don't want to give up the comfort and security of a good backrest.

Unless I'm dazed and confused, this is the replacement for the GT/GTL. Unless they both meet Euro-4 standards, too. My local dealer said they wouldn't be getting B's until the GT/GTL's are out of the BMW warehouse. Which reinforces the idea the B is it. Once again, BMW works hard to screw up a product line. I have a feeling the used "original" K1600's might just go up in selling price...

My understanding is its Just an additional model to cater to the HD converts. None of these available until the '16 models are sold. Last I hear there are approx. 400 2016s across U.S. that need to be sold first. I like the black engine but thats about it.

I suspect Tim has hit the nail on the head.

The K1600GTL is a completely different beast and market segment than the K1600B. The introduction of the B might put some pressure on the K1600GT, but not on the K1600GTL. BMW have been agressively expanding their product line around the edges. First with the Scooters (Urban Mobility) and the S lineup, then with the R nineT variants (Heritage) followed by the entry-level G310. The K1600B is merely an extension of that marketing initiative which has been all around the edges, not within the BMW core lineup (long-term GS, R, K models).

Sat on new 1600-B @ Daytona Bike Week. You can hammer throttle & shift w/o clutch, and I like the black cases. But I need the trunk for storage when touring. Wouldn't trade my GTLE for it.Prototype.jpg

The B is for Me!

I am constantly amazed at uncontrolled passion surrounding people's likes/dislikes when it comes to motorcycles. Several of the posts in this thread are quite frankly embarrassing. Why does it matter sooo much if you see a bike you don't like? Perhaps it is the machismo oozing out. Anyway congrats to BMW for making the B. I bet my next paycheck ( not much to brag about) that it will be a hit. It may have a similar appearance to the F6, but it has so much more to offer. The low seating and COG. The reverse option and the that wonderful engine.
As far as the GT is concerned, If it is the answer to all things motorcycle, then why are the warehouses full of them? I can't see any similarities between the C1200 and the B. I could be just as wrong as the next guy about future sales, but I promise not to slam everything out there that I don't like, such as the GS, the GT the R1200RS everything Harley, The Victory Vision, the Goldwing etc etc. etc.

I am constantly amazed at uncontrolled passion surrounding people's likes/dislikes when it comes to motorcycles.

Agreed, completely senseless and annoying. Not sure what people think they are achieving.

I'm going to have a look at the B model. The front end styling is still far from my tastes but BMW has done a great job on the rear end. I'd love to own a 6 cylinder motorcycle but the Goldwing and it's derivatives leave me cold. I'm guardedly optimistic that the 6 cylinder has some "character" and is not just a more frenetic inline four. If so, I may be riding off on my first BMW.

Sat on new 1600-B @ Daytona Bike Week. You can hammer throttle & shift w/o clutch, and I like the black cases. But I need the trunk for storage when touring. Wouldn't trade my GTLE for it.View attachment 61114

Hi Dale, would you mind telling me how tall you are? I'm thinking about looking at the B, but at 5'6" Beemers have normally been too tall for me. I have osteoarthritis in both knees, not bad enough to be looking at Canams yet, but I cannot tippy toe bikes around anymore.

But, I ain't got $20,000 laying around, so I ain't gotta worry about. But in about 10 years when it it lists for maybe $6,000 I can buy in. :dunno I'll only be 74. Perfect timing. :thumb

Not to worry, time flies, 2027 will be here before Ya know it. :dance 10 years is probably about the time I need to finish my Classic Bavarian Bagger project. Then I'll have 2 Classic Bavarian Baggers. :groovy

Back