• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW1600B introduction

Looks a little like a mash-up of a K1600GTL front and an HD Street Glide rear. Doing something like this with an R bike would be of more interest to me, but then, I think the boxer engine has a more classic look suitable to a cruiser.

The article mentions a great deal of customization available. Does that include chroming every surface and adding loud pipes? :dance

Up next, forward conversion and floor boards. Ape angers. LOUD exhausts. Chrome covers for everything. And leather with fringe. Fringe. And get back whips.

BMW cuts

graphite half hemets,

chaps and fingerless gloves.

Up next, forward conversion and floor boards. Ape angers. LOUD exhausts. Chrome covers for everything. And leather with fringe. Fringe. And get back whips.

BMW cuts

graphite half hemets,

chaps and fingerless gloves.

Now hold on thar....my godson bought me a pair of finger-less, bout 10 years ago......I like'em...the dog-gone things are just comfortable ....seriously !

(Yogi Berra)

It's deja vu all over again!

(/Yogi Berra)

Shades of the R1200c, the Montauk, etc. during BMW's first attempt to mimic and capture a share of the cruiser market. Looks like another trip to that well, this time copying the Honda E6B and assorted H-D baggers. Could BMW at least not have ended the model designation with a "B"?

Like the first go-around, I'm sure there will be an assortment of appropriate associated clothing and trinkets. My fav from the original cruiser era was the BMW "Duster", styled after the dusters of the old west cowboys.

Still, lots of fun potential here--I'm sure there isn't an H-D or E6B that can hang with it in boulevard and stoplight drags. But, how do you say "potato-potato" in Deutsch?
:)

DG

I don't know whether to ROFLASTC or flee in terror from this monster. Every so often BMW Motorrad decides to do an eyes-on inspection of its lower intestines. This thing is proof that once again BMW Motorrad has put its corporate head where the sun don't shine.

Why non-H-D manufacturers think that somehow they're going to profitably peel off part of the H-D market escapes me. I rode the Triumph bagger (mercifully, the name escapes me) as a loaner (cruel prank from my dealer). Aside from the miserable ride, the tiring wind blast under a "wind shield" last seen on a old heavy Schwin I had as a kid, the inability to comfortably run with the 70+ MPH traffic on the PA Turnpike, the minimal instrumentation, and the bogus bag straps, it was fine. I suppose I'm grateful it didn't leak any fluids on my garage floor. But it wasn't a V-twin and didn't have at least a pretension to sound like one. All of the discomfort of an H-D with little of the macho of wear a do-rag for a helmet and hang out in titty bars for a few brewskis.

This thing is one more mistaken attempt to peel off from the H-D market. And the 1600 motor isn't going to help - four cylinders too many in the wrong configuration. OK, maybe the motor size is OK.

Last edited:
Looks like a pale white guy trying to dress like he belongs in the 'hood. He is going to get dissed, then beat up.

This won't take long.

We all like what we ride and seem to deride the other guy's n gal's choices. Human nature I guess. BMW may get stomped for this one, but the oft used term "metric cruiser" demonstrates that Honda and others have succeeded in capturing a reasonable share of this market. A high performance cruiser just might sell.

That would of course pose a new challenge for the BMW MOA as we ponder how to integrate this new style enthusiest. I surmise it might not be too hard - just a slightly different variety of gray haired old guy.

I really like the bike. Since I already own a K1600, I probably wont shell out for the bagger just yet, but it is a definite possibility. I really like the larger panniers.

I recall seeing another bagger being mentioned last year:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/news/233244/Concept-101-The-spirit-of-the-open-road.htm

Any connection between them?

Yes.

BMW used Roland Sands for a pre-production tease for the R nineT the Concept 90 and then the Concept 101. In both cases Sands was given a running bike in near production form and told to create a concept. These have been released at the motorcycle show now part of the Concorso dā€™Eleganza held at Villa dā€™Este. BMW runs the show and has the broad press coverage to gauge reactions to their ideas.

(Yogi Berra)

It's deja vu all over again!

(/Yogi Berra)

Shades of the R1200c, the Montauk, etc. during BMW's first attempt to mimic and capture a share of the cruiser market. Looks like another trip to that well, this time copying the Honda E6B and assorted H-D baggers. Could BMW at least not have ended the model designation with a "B"?

Like the first go-around, I'm sure there will be an assortment of appropriate associated clothing and trinkets. My fav from the original cruiser era was the BMW "Duster", styled after the dusters of the old west cowboys.

Still, lots of fun potential here--I'm sure there isn't an H-D or E6B that can hang with it in boulevard and stoplight drags. But, how do you say "potato-potato" in Deutsch?
:)

DG

BMW couldn't call the bike a "strasseglide" due to possible copyright infringement with H-D.:)

Looks cool. The article seemed to be targeting the US market. One only has to look at the VRod for a high performance bagger that didn't do well. And that one carried the HD badge. I doubt many buyers looking for American baggers will go for it. I didn't catch the price on it. My guess is the high $20k. That won't fly with Harley baggers coming in at or less than it. Not to mention Indian and Victory. That's another point. The Victory Crossroads is a very aggressive designed bagger. It doesn't set the world on fire in the sales category. It doesn't change the fact that's it's a vastly superior bike (mechanically wise)to the Milwaukee iron out there. It just doesn't translate into sales.

To each his/her own.

I am not a cruiser fan. Like the look of the HD and the Indian, but will not ride one.

I like my back. I like to stand on the pegs. I like the better control one has with standard seating.

No thanks. Not for me.

Someone will like it, will extoll it's virtues. One man's garbage, another's treasure.

As a long time HD owner I will have to say I am excited about this bike. I have owned 2 BMW SUV's so I am one who can appreciate the quality of a BMW product. I have not ridden a 1600, but I know some guys who own them and love them. I'm a long distance rider so comfort is key. I for one am far more comfortable with the stretched out seating position when on the highway. I spend about half my time with feet on the highway pegs, and feet on the floorboards on my HD CVO Road Glide.

With the flagship touring HD now north of 40k, the 1600B equipped with a tour pack even at 30k is a very attractive alternative. Even the new HD engine as good as I think it's going to be is still only at about 100HP. The 160 HP of the BMW is very desirable. I admit as I get older I am finding my self a lot more about the technology, comfort, power and handling than being die hard brand loyal; especially when talking about spending 25k plus.

With all that said I think this bike will be a hit, and will convert some of the HD crowd. I will probably always have an HD in the garage, but if this bike rides as good as I think it will I will own one.

I've been seeing more and more HD, Victory and Honda baggers on the road so I'm guessing the 1600B will sell well.

Back