Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BMW1600B introduction

BMW1600B introduction

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/bmw/k1600b.html

I kind of like it

Will touratech have apes and forward controls?

Rod

Looks a little like a mash-up of a K1600GTL front and an HD Street Glide rear. Doing something like this with an R bike would be of more interest to me, but then, I think the boxer engine has a more classic look suitable to a cruiser.

The article mentions a great deal of customization available. Does that include chroming every surface and adding loud pipes?
    ~Jason

Up next, forward conversion and floor boards. Ape angers. LOUD exhausts. Chrome covers for everything. And leather with fringe. Fringe. And get back whips.

BMW cuts

graphite half hemets,

chaps and fingerless gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
    Up next, forward conversion and floor boards. Ape angers. LOUD exhausts. Chrome covers for everything. And leather with fringe. Fringe. And get back whips.

BMW cuts

graphite half hemets,

chaps and fingerless gloves.

Now hold on thar....my godson bought me a pair of finger-less, bout 10 years ago......I like'em...the dog-gone things are just comfortable ....seriously !
    Ron Prior {AMA member 30+ years,MOA member 20+years}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

(Yogi Berra)

It's deja vu all over again!

(/Yogi Berra)

Shades of the R1200c, the Montauk, etc. during BMW's first attempt to mimic and capture a share of the cruiser market. Looks like another trip to that well, this time copying the Honda E6B and assorted H-D baggers. Could BMW at least not have ended the model designation with a "B"?

Like the first go-around, I'm sure there will be an assortment of appropriate associated clothing and trinkets. My fav from the original cruiser era was the BMW "Duster", styled after the dusters of the old west cowboys.

Still, lots of fun potential here--I'm sure there isn't an H-D or E6B that can hang with it in boulevard and stoplight drags. But, how do you say "potato-potato" in Deutsch?

DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST -- 1988 R100GS "Bee"-- 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C -- 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Kartoffel-kartoffel. 😎
    Tim C
    2016 K1600GTL
    Matte Ocean Blue

I don't know whether to ROFLASTC or flee in terror from this monster. Every so often BMW Motorrad decides to do an eyes-on inspection of its lower intestines. This thing is proof that once again BMW Motorrad has put its corporate head where the sun don't shine.

Why non-H-D manufacturers think that somehow they're going to profitably peel off part of the H-D market escapes me. I rode the Triumph bagger (mercifully, the name escapes me) as a loaner (cruel prank from my dealer). Aside from the miserable ride, the tiring wind blast under a "wind shield" last seen on a old heavy Schwin I had as a kid, the inability to comfortably run with the 70+ MPH traffic on the PA Turnpike, the minimal instrumentation, and the bogus bag straps, it was fine. I suppose I'm grateful it didn't leak any fluids on my garage floor. But it wasn't a V-twin and didn't have at least a pretension to sound like one. All of the discomfort of an H-D with little of the macho of wear a do-rag for a helmet and hang out in titty bars for a few brewskis.

This thing is one more mistaken attempt to peel off from the H-D market. And the 1600 motor isn't going to help - four cylinders too many in the wrong configuration. OK, maybe the motor size is OK.
    Last edited by RBEmerson; 10-12-2016 at 03:58 AM.
    Some people are wise. Some people are otherwise.

Looks like a pale white guy trying to dress like he belongs in the 'hood. He is going to get dissed, then beat up.

This won't take long.
    Lee A. Dickinson - Danielsville, GA USA
    MOA 80364 | RA 29650 | ABC 3480 | IBA 8914
    1992 R100RS - 1993 K1100RS - 2013 R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
    Looks like a pale white guy trying to dress like he belongs in the 'hood. He is going to get dissed, then beat up.

This won't take long.
    Gotta catch him first... I don't see that happening.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

We all like what we ride and seem to deride the other guy's n gal's choices. Human nature I guess. BMW may get stomped for this one, but the oft used term "metric cruiser" demonstrates that Honda and others have succeeded in capturing a reasonable share of this market. A high performance cruiser just might sell.

That would of course pose a new challenge for the BMW MOA as we ponder how to integrate this new style enthusiest. I surmise it might not be too hard - just a slightly different variety of gray haired old guy.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I really like the bike. Since I already own a K1600, I probably wont shell out for the bagger just yet, but it is a definite possibility. I really like the larger panniers.
    ---
    Jess & Christine, the Chauffeurs, for Tobi & Skye the Border Collies.
    2013 K1600 GTL (the boys' ride), 2016 S1000XR (The grrrl's ride)
    Motorcycle Safety Foundation Coach#166465

I recall seeing another bagger being mentioned last year:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/news/233244/Co...-open-road.htm

Any connection between them?
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Looks like a Honda F6B:

index.jpg
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    I recall seeing another bagger being mentioned last year:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/news/233244/Co...-open-road.htm

Any connection between them?
    Yes.

BMW used Roland Sands for a pre-production tease for the R nineT the Concept 90 and then the Concept 101. In both cases Sands was given a running bike in near production form and told to create a concept. These have been released at the motorcycle show now part of the Concorso d’Eleganza held at Villa d’Este. BMW runs the show and has the broad press coverage to gauge reactions to their ideas.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    (Yogi Berra)

It's deja vu all over again!

(/Yogi Berra)

Shades of the R1200c, the Montauk, etc. during BMW's first attempt to mimic and capture a share of the cruiser market. Looks like another trip to that well, this time copying the Honda E6B and assorted H-D baggers. Could BMW at least not have ended the model designation with a "B"?

Like the first go-around, I'm sure there will be an assortment of appropriate associated clothing and trinkets. My fav from the original cruiser era was the BMW "Duster", styled after the dusters of the old west cowboys.

Still, lots of fun potential here--I'm sure there isn't an H-D or E6B that can hang with it in boulevard and stoplight drags. But, how do you say "potato-potato" in Deutsch?

DG
    BMW couldn't call the bike a "strasseglide" due to possible copyright infringement with H-D.