• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oil filter won't release

The Saga continues...

Shop is repairing (Bentonville BMW - Thanks Jerry!). Ordered the part from BMW. Got here. Doesn't fit due to a BMW change in '08. Shop found part casting did not match part number on box. Smart! Shop took pictures, measurements, etc and sent back to Germany. Still awaiting the correct part as what was shipped mis-marked in the box... As of last week the new part has been invoiced by Germany, Hoping it gets there tomorrow. Then if if fits the shop will reassemble motor. And I will have a big invoice.

Engine has low mileage so we can just hope and wait. My wife will be happy to have her bike back! See attached photos of where we stand today.

IMG_3949.jpg
IMG_3948.jpg

Update here? I was just changing an oil filter and verified that the threaded stub is steel (RnineT), and thought of this thread.

What part did the dealership order?

Further updates...

Update here? I was just changing an oil filter and verified that the threaded stub is steel (RnineT), and thought of this thread.

What part did the dealership order?

The dealership ordered the part number under the BMW microfiche twice (I believe it's 11 11 7 702 627. It was listed as the part number for this date of manufacture. It didn't match. Part casing had a different number than on the box. sent it back, ordered again, same results, sent it back.

Found a used motor case in Texas for much less than Germany. Ordered it and upon starting the rebuild notice the auxiliary shafts diameter (part Number 1 31 7 710 842) did not correspond to the new case. Three different versions of the motor seem to exist in BMW land. The owner of the shop nearly blew a gasket.

I asked the him to rebuild the motor using the used case from Texas and put in the few new parts (which he was able to source and which fit). Saw the motor last week on the bench. It's coming together but our shop is so small it's taking time. Another tech just left to be a die punch operator. We have now One tech, one BMW Master mechanic - the owner.

It has been a full six months getting this motor case replaced and the engine rebuilt. The motor only had 20,000 miles on it and will virtually be brand new. Should be finished in a couple weeks. I'll post a picture or two for an update as soon as I get back up to the shop.
Thanks for Checking Anton.

:banghead

OK, so it was the complete housing after all. $1700 for a case is a lot better than a $14,000 engine which is what repairing a damaged Wethead involves.

Oil filter problem

Had this problem happen to me one time changing oil in girl friends car being a dedicated lefty I got confused by righty tighty lefty loosey tow to repair shop easy fix for them I would swear I was loosing the filter

OK, so it was the complete housing after all. $1700 for a case is a lot better than a $14,000 engine which is what repairing a damaged Wethead involves.

Actually the used case was cheaper than the $1700 BMW quoted but then we had to order new 'innards' so it all comes out the same... Oh well, going to be happy to get the bike back.

Interestingly enough, yesterday I received a call, same truck with the same problem-again. This time they stopped before the filter can became "shredded". I was able to get the filter off without the air chisel. The owner told me that there has been 2 oil changes since the first problem. I think the AC filters he is using don't have the structure to hold up during a normal service.
I suggested he change filter brands.
OM

I had a call from a friend of mine recently, filter would not come off his Chevy truck. It was really buggered up after their 2 hours on it, can shredded, punctured with a screwdriver. I thought I could take it right off with my "strap" tool but couldn't get anything on it due to the "can" being so messed up.
I eventually got it off for him with an air-chisel, carefully used on the metal "rim", then back to the strap wrench to equalize the pressure. After 4 or 5 rounds like this, the filter came off. I would have taken a picture but I had oil to my armpit from the event.
I don't know if you have an air-chisel or there is a spot on the filter you can choose to "bump-spin" the filter off- but it's a way to git 'em off.
OM

Back