Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil filter won't release

Quote Originally Posted by wkuwiz View Post
    Dave: The center post is where the filter threads on. I would not risk damage to the threads on the bike ($$$ replacement). Now that i have seen it I may try Omega Man's suggestion of the nylon cord....
    I am wondering if you could get channel lock pliers on the collar and turn it and pull on it at the same time??

Quote Originally Posted by 141987 View Post
    I am wondering if you could get channel lock pliers on the collar and turn it and pull on it at the same time??
    Thanks. Yes, I was able to gain a hold on the collar but it did not result in traction. Still working on this one.

Maybe now take a Dremel type tool and cut a line between the holes in the tapping plate. That could relieve any pressure put on the threads by way of where the seal contacts the engine and allowing you to get a good hold on what is left of the tapping plate.

If that doesn't work my next step would be to take that same Dremel tool and start to cut in towards the threads. That should weaken the the tapping plate at the threads and whats left of the tapping plate should come off easily.

or not...but I think it will.

Marty
    "Whether you think you can...or you think you can't -- you're right"

Quote Originally Posted by AHD43 View Post
    Maybe now take a Dremel type tool and cut a line between the holes in the tapping plate. That could relieve any pressure put on the threads by way of where the seal contacts the engine and allowing you to get a good hold on what is left of the tapping plate.

If that doesn't work my next step would be to take that same Dremel tool and start to cut in towards the threads. That should weaken the the tapping plate at the threads and whats left of the tapping plate should come off easily.

or not...but I think it will.

Marty
    That scares me to death! I just got a great tool idea from a rider on the ADV board. It's called the "life saving Oil Filter Wrench". Look it up.

A life saving oil filter wrench....interesting.
    "Whether you think you can...or you think you can't -- you're right"

How is that tool going to help you? You said that the tapping plate spins when you put needle nose pliers in the holes. If the hole is stripped in the tapping plate then this tool will not work.

http://motowheels.com/i-10115677-cor...em-filter.html

Just my 2 cents

Roger L

i should be out riding! wyman.winn's Avatar
    Hmmm....

my thought, take it for what it is worth...

the aluminum case has a nipple of sorts threaded into the case to attach the oil filter....it had to be installed in a threaded boss...YES???

i am not near my RT at the moment, but i would bet that that "nipple" could be un-screwed from the case without much effort....maybe our wise mechanics will chime in on this...
    ~wyman~

2013 BMW R1200RT - Sassy - Fluid Grey Metallic

That nipple is more than likely part of the engine casting. You would not want that nipple to unscrew out of the engine casting when you take the oil filter off.

Roger L

I'd make a tool. Some round stock sized to fit in the holes of the base of the filter. Drill two holes in a some flat metal, spaced apart enough to line up with opposite holes on the filter base. Make sure the flat metal is thick enough (1/4" ought to work) to hold the pins. Make sure the flat stock is long enough to use as a handle. That should give you enough length to get some good leverage. If that doesn't make sense, I'll see if I can find the tool I made that is similar and take a picture.

Basically it is a spanner with two pins that mate with the holes on the filter base plate.
    Rusty
    Austin, TX
    Two Wheeled Texans
    2009 R1200GSA 2013 K1600GT

Quote Originally Posted by Woodbutcher View Post
    I'd make a tool. Some round stock sized to fit in the holes of the base of the filter. Drill two holes in a some flat metal, spaced apart enough to line up with opposite holes on the filter base. Make sure the flat metal is thick enough (1/4" ought to work) to hold the pins. Make sure the flat stock is long enough to use as a handle. That should give you enough length to get some good leverage. If that doesn't make sense, I'll see if I can find the tool I made that is similar and take a picture.

Basically it is a spanner with two pins that mate with the holes on the filter base plate.
    Unless I missed something, leverage is not what is needed. I think the threads are ruined and the filter base turns freely but won't unscrew. I think it needs to be turned and pulled downward at the same time. I envision something with "L" shaped pins that would engage a couple of the big holes in the filter base that would turn it and pull downward on it at the same time.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I envision something with "L" shaped pins that would engage a couple of the big holes in the filter base that would turn it and pull downward on it at the same time.
    Something along this line perhaps (sized appropriately of course)?
    http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Aq...HWA-p/shwa.htm

Ed Kilner #176066
    Quote Originally Posted by wkuwiz View Post
    Thanks. Yes, I was able to gain a hold on the collar but it did not result in traction. Still working on this one.
    Is there any material that you could ease between the threaded nipple and collar? Teflon tape? Very thin plastic?

If so, you might get that traction. I sure hope you get a solution.
    Ed
    2015 R1200RT; 2011 R1200RT RIP; 2000 Triumph 900 (sold)
    http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/

Ed Kilner #176066

Something like this:

http://www.globalindustrial.ca/p/met...nch-flat-sheet

I don't know if this might help. Other thicknesses available, if the premise has any value.
    Ed

Ed Kilner #176066

Or this?

I remembered "Plastiguage" from years ago and ...

http://www.jhps.com/mm5/merchant.mvc...Category_Code=

did a search, found this.
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by wyman.winn View Post
    Hmmm....

my thought, take it for what it is worth...

the aluminum case has a nipple of sorts threaded into the case to attach the oil filter....it had to be installed in a threaded boss...YES???

i am not near my RT at the moment, but i would bet that that "nipple" could be un-screwed from the case without much effort....maybe our wise mechanics will chime in on this...
    Taking a look at the parts fiche for my bike (a 2011 R1200GS) on Max BMW's website, I don't think the nipple is a separate part, (from what I can glean from looking at the diagram...but I could be wrong).