• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oil filter won't release

Maybe I am not understanding what I am looking at, but can you get a pair of channel lock pliers onto the center post area and turn it out that way?

Dave McDougall

Dave: The center post is where the filter threads on. I would not risk damage to the threads on the bike ($$$ replacement). Now that i have seen it I may try Omega Man's suggestion of the nylon cord....

Ok - so in the vein of trying to solve the problem.... And the potential humility of embarrassment... I tore down the filter in an attempt to get at the shoulders here. Got needle nose up in the holes and can turn but she's stripped. Here's what she looks like. I applied heat from a heat gun to see if I could expend the threads and create friction but she just spins. Upon close examination of the blown up photo it appears the filter is cross-threaded but it may be the angle. then again my eyesight is not what it once was up close. As I said, the filter was put on by hand and tightened to spec before a 4,000 mile ride.

My only guess now is to have it cut out with a torch. Suggestions?

That is SOO UGLY!! I feel for you, will fallow this thread, hopping you will get it out!
Are you sure you had the right thread pitch? They could come mixed up, or damaged.
I personally just hand tight the filter, not torque wrench. Just a suggestion, if you
didn't try already, put a punch mark on the threaded bushing, warm it up with a torch,
and try to punch it out when still warm. I tend to believe the thread is striped.
Would also suggest to try with a small hole saw ,or a tubular socket wrench, tap it until
creates a bite, and try then.
(CCW, i hope!!)
Best of luck!!

As I get a chance to look at this from a larger screen, I think the "guts" have separated. I would try to "tap it around" with a chisel....Start around the letter "T".
BTW, that's what the Chebby I just worked on looked like- only it still had the paper guts.

attachment.php

OM

Still at it...

Had a buddy over and he and I removed most all of the housing and took a Dremel to the collar. It is stainless and we ain't making a dent!

Here's the latest pic. I am going to have to put some ratchets on my basketball goal to lift the bike and get some working room. But this is unbelievable to have happened to an OEM filter. I am hopeful the sump threads are not damaged.
IMG_3465.jpg

based on my recent photo and this morning rolling on the garage floor it's the threads on the filter that appear stripped.

Maybe I am not understanding what I am looking at, but can you get a pair of channel lock pliers onto the center post area and turn it out that way?

Dave McDougall

I was confused as to your terminology as far as what part was "stripped" but now have a better idea as you mentioned hoping the piece on the engine was still ok.
I still think, as there is a part of the filter that spins, it's the "internals" of the filter that have separated.

Here is a video of how a filter is made, I believe the what they call the "tapping plate" has come loose be it the weld or the final crimp.

OM

On some models the oil filter screws onto a nipple that is threaded at both ends. Not sure if the same arrangement is present on the R12R, but if it is, then you may be able to unscrew the nipple from the engine with the old oil filter attached. Shop manual or fiche may reveal if this is a viable solution.

If, IF the filter in question is built same way, and the threaded part is a full size plate, not just a bushing, as i thought,
can drill two holes thru the existing holes into the threaded plate, and try with needle nose pliers

On some models the oil filter screws onto a nipple that is threaded at both ends. Not sure if the same arrangement is present on the R12R, but if it is, then you may be able to unscrew the nipple from the engine with the old oil filter attached. Shop manual or fiche may reveal if this is a viable solution.

That would make sense, since the block is aluminum, and the threaded part is steel.
Am not sure how easy would be to remove that, but is a thought.
For that, e pipe plug removing tool will do it.

I would be concerned on drilling as I don't know when you would know to stop. If I had another engine there to look at I guess you could make sure where the clearance is, use a drill stop and then tap the plate perhaps 1/4-20 and bind the two "levels" together.
Gives me another thought, perhaps the piece that rotates already lines up with something and you can hold the part you can't see that way.
If you use a kind of "jamming" method, when it moves, I would only move a little before checking to make sure your jamming device isn't up against something.
OM

That would make sense, since the block is aluminum, and the threaded part is steel.
Am not sure how easy would be to remove that, but is a thought.
For that, e pipe plug removing tool will do it.

Sounds like a good suggestion-

1978702d-4680-4646-8114-e1adedf8f671_400.jpg

Easily obtained.
OM

Dave: The center post is where the filter threads on. I would not risk damage to the threads on the bike ($$$ replacement). Now that i have seen it I may try Omega Man's suggestion of the nylon cord....

I am wondering if you could get channel lock pliers on the collar and turn it and pull on it at the same time??

I am wondering if you could get channel lock pliers on the collar and turn it and pull on it at the same time??

Thanks. Yes, I was able to gain a hold on the collar but it did not result in traction. Still working on this one.

Maybe now take a Dremel type tool and cut a line between the holes in the tapping plate. That could relieve any pressure put on the threads by way of where the seal contacts the engine and allowing you to get a good hold on what is left of the tapping plate.

If that doesn't work my next step would be to take that same Dremel tool and start to cut in towards the threads. That should weaken the the tapping plate at the threads and whats left of the tapping plate should come off easily.

or not...but I think it will.

Marty

Maybe now take a Dremel type tool and cut a line between the holes in the tapping plate. That could relieve any pressure put on the threads by way of where the seal contacts the engine and allowing you to get a good hold on what is left of the tapping plate.

If that doesn't work my next step would be to take that same Dremel tool and start to cut in towards the threads. That should weaken the the tapping plate at the threads and whats left of the tapping plate should come off easily.

or not...but I think it will.

Marty

That scares me to death! I just got a great tool idea from a rider on the ADV board. It's called the "life saving Oil Filter Wrench". Look it up.

Hmmm....

my thought, take it for what it is worth...

the aluminum case has a nipple of sorts threaded into the case to attach the oil filter....it had to be installed in a threaded boss...YES???

i am not near my RT at the moment, but i would bet that that "nipple" could be un-screwed from the case without much effort....maybe our wise mechanics will chime in on this...

That nipple is more than likely part of the engine casting. You would not want that nipple to unscrew out of the engine casting when you take the oil filter off.

Roger L

I'd make a tool. Some round stock sized to fit in the holes of the base of the filter. Drill two holes in a some flat metal, spaced apart enough to line up with opposite holes on the filter base. Make sure the flat metal is thick enough (1/4" ought to work) to hold the pins. Make sure the flat stock is long enough to use as a handle. That should give you enough length to get some good leverage. If that doesn't make sense, I'll see if I can find the tool I made that is similar and take a picture.

Basically it is a spanner with two pins that mate with the holes on the filter base plate.

I'd make a tool. Some round stock sized to fit in the holes of the base of the filter. Drill two holes in a some flat metal, spaced apart enough to line up with opposite holes on the filter base. Make sure the flat metal is thick enough (1/4" ought to work) to hold the pins. Make sure the flat stock is long enough to use as a handle. That should give you enough length to get some good leverage. If that doesn't make sense, I'll see if I can find the tool I made that is similar and take a picture.

Basically it is a spanner with two pins that mate with the holes on the filter base plate.

Unless I missed something, leverage is not what is needed. I think the threads are ruined and the filter base turns freely but won't unscrew. I think it needs to be turned and pulled downward at the same time. I envision something with "L" shaped pins that would engage a couple of the big holes in the filter base that would turn it and pull downward on it at the same time.

Back