• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New member from San Antonio, TX

satxbiker

Hi everyone,

I am currently on my second 'new to me' BMW. I have been riding a 2010 K1300GT now for almost 2 years. Prior to that I had a 'new to me' 2007 F800ST. I am the 'odd one' in my all ladies motorcycle club of mostly Harleys, metric cruisers, trikes and CanAm Spyders. Thus I get the great moniker of Beemer in the club! I finally got smart and joined the BMW MOA last month. I am thinking that early next year I will finally buy a brand new BMW. I am considering the K1600GT (which I am thinking will just be too heavy for me to muscle around in the garage), R1200RT or the R1200GS. I am fortunate in that I have a 32 inch inseam. I am looking forward to reading through the posts on the forum and getting some opinions.

rsz_2016-04-10_131739.jpg

Keeping two wheels down and waving to everyone! :wave
SATXBiker - aka Beemer, aka Lynn

Last edited:
Welcome, Lynn! Figured you were from San Antonio when I saw the forum name. I can't help much with opinions on the new bikes...I tend to gravitate to the older machines. Post a picture of your current ride when you get a chance. Any issues or questions, let us know!

Welcome to the forum Lynn:wave

Live north of you in Blanco. Our local club can be found here:

http://www.sabmwra.org/

Be careful , the power of the K bikes has some folks making the swap to a boxer feel underpowered until they adjust:whistle Cause they are not.
I think it's mind over matter on how the K16 handles while not moving. You have the close cousin as it is with the 13GT.

Good luck in your search!

That is one thing that does concern me. I LOVE the power of the inline 4 and its smoothness (heck my bike's name is Bullet!). However another concern is comfort and I am looking for a bike with as little knee bend as possible. My current bike has lowered pegs and bar backs and seems to fit me perfectly. However I do have a horrible hesitation on a slow roll on over 70. Not a big issue riding through the hill country, but when I have to hop on I-10 or 1604 and I am following another rider it just bugs the crap out of me. The local dealer has been unable to fix the issue. I took a look at your site and may just try to meet up with you guys this Sunday morning on your ride from Starbucks. That location is literally 2 miles from my house so I have no excuse!

Be careful , the power of the K bikes has some folks making the swap to a boxer feel underpowered until they adjust:whistle Cause they are not.
I think it's mind over matter on how the K16 handles while not moving. You have the close cousin as it is with the 13GT.

Good luck in your search!

Lynn, welcome to the MOA and the forum.
I see you're close to the great Hill Country roads.
My wife and I are long time K bike riders and this last year traded to a couple Wetheads.
Our last bikes were 2011 K1300Ss. Our new R1200RS do not have the rush of the K1300, but still have good power.
Both of us have been happy with the trade.
When I saw your first post I was going to suggest looking at a RS besides the RT and GS but then noticed you added bar backs and lowered the pegs on your GT, so the RS may not fit you.

Here's a site to let you compare how you will fit on different bikes.
http://cycle-ergo.com/

Maybe we'll bump into you next April on our yearly Hill Country trip.

Back