• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Where do you put your toll road tracker on your bike?

RUNNOR

I'm heading out on a trip this weekend and want to get one of the Fast Pass toll road ID tags for my b Ike. Question is, where do you put it so that it can be read by the equipment? In Kansas, the tags are just a "sticker" that sticks to your windshield, but I don't want to permanently put this on my bike, or at least find w place that's not so obvious. I'm riding a 2015 RT. Wondered if anyone has had experience sliding it in the map holder of your tank bag and if that has worked ok. Or does it have to be visible to be read anyway?
Thanks for your ideas.
John

I use an Illinois I-Pass occasionally. I also don't want to mount it on the bike.

I put it in a heavy duty ID thing I received at a conference and wear it on a chord around my neck...making sure it faces the right way. A zip lock bag of the right size with a long shoestring will work.

When not needed, it goes in a jacket pocket or the tank bag.

It is worked successfully in Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, New York, West Virginia and other states.

I don't know about other states but in North Texas you don't need the Toll Tag on the bike, your license plate is read by the readers all tolls are applied at the lower toll tag rate vs cash fee for those without a toll tag associated to the bike.

Jay

Vehicle with toll tag is 50% less

I don't know about other states but in North Texas you don't need the Toll Tag on the bike, your license plate is read by the readers all tolls are applied at the lower toll tag rate vs cash fee for those without a toll tag associated to the bike.

Jay

Jay, I am not sure I understand your comment but this is from NTTA: I put my TT on my GSA below the sightline on my windscreen kind of behind the GPS mount maybe even lower.

From NTTA website:
ZipCash offers a pay-by-mail option at higher rates for customers who do not have a TollTag. TollTag customers receive the lowest toll rates on NTTA roads; ZipCash customers pay at least 50 percent more than TollTag users.

When a motorist without a TollTag drives through tolling points, high-speed cameras take digital images of the license plate, and the tolls are billed to the registered owner of the vehicle.

ZipCash is just one of two ways to pay for your NTTA toll road use. Drivers can avoid ZipCash’s higher toll rates and potential administrative fees by getting a TollTag.

Chris

These are good ideas. I taped mine to the inside of my top case on back of the bike and we'll see how it works in the morning. Really appreciate everyone's responses.
Ride safe this weekend.
:wave:dance
John

Jay, I am not sure I understand your comment but this is from NTTA: I put my TT on my GSA below the sightline on my windscreen kind of behind the GPS mount maybe even lower.

From NTTA website:
ZipCash offers a pay-by-mail option at higher rates for customers who do not have a TollTag. TollTag customers receive the lowest toll rates on NTTA roads; ZipCash customers pay at least 50 percent more than TollTag users.

When a motorist without a TollTag drives through tolling points, high-speed cameras take digital images of the license plate, and the tolls are billed to the registered owner of the vehicle.

ZipCash is just one of two ways to pay for your NTTA toll road use. Drivers can avoid ZipCash’s higher toll rates and potential administrative fees by getting a TollTag.

Chris

Chris,

Since the toll tag is associated with the bike's license plate that's all you need you don't need to carry the toll tag with you. The cameras pick up your license plate it's then matched to your toll tag, you are changed the toll tag rate. Try it check your account the follow day or two. The tag is required for airport parking.

Jay

Typically in a drawer, forgotten behind, since I rarely need it and when I do, well it's usually back home somewhere . . . :scratch

Run the toll if you have an out-of-state plate. I don't think its worth their money to hunt you down across another state.

Worse comes to worse, don't you just get a bill in the mail?

I put my E-ZPass transponder in the map pocket of my tank bag. That seems to work well. If in doubt, I can unzip the top of the bag and lift the map pocket up.

Harry

In my backpack. It's only needed on some roads here. At least one road they say their equipment can tell is a motorcycle so the transponder is not needed.
dc

I put my EZPass under the instrument cover. (number 1) You have to remove the windshield and some other stuff but there's room under there at least for the rectangular one - might be room for the square form factor too. Part number 5 is like a plastic anchor thing that has to be completely removed, and there are some studs underneath you'll have to dislodge from their grommets to get it off. I was afraid it'd break it but the studs finally let loose with no damage. Once you get it off you'll see some reinforcing ribs underneath. I drilled some holes in them so I could ziptie it in place. It always worked for me. It's totally invisible therefore no temptation to lightfingered people. Only 2 downsides I can think of: once installed it's not realistic to swap it between vehicles, and you might sell it with the bike!

When I had a GTL I put it under the topbox lid and it worked there, mostly. It did have a tendency to come unstuck from time to time which was a pain.

B0007557.png

I have the same question as RUNNOR. Here sticker tags are in use. The instructions direct the user to apply the sticker tag to the headlight of the bike. I am not super excited about that placement.

I am going to have to test out Chris' idea. I know they used to match my plate with my account.

Shirt or jacket pocket

I usually use a chest pocket in my shirt or jacket. I have also used the small "glove box" with no apparent issues.

I have the same question as RUNNOR. Here sticker tags are in use. The instructions direct the user to apply the sticker tag to the headlight of the bike. I am not super excited about that placement.

I am going to have to test out Chris' idea. I know they used to match my plate with my account.

Here in the Seattle area, if you don't have the sticker on your headlight, they will match your license plate up...and send you a bill for the toll charge plus another $4. With the sticker, for motorcycles, it is free.

Chris

So I Just returned from the Coloado Springs Getaway Weekend, and was on the Kansas Turnpike. I put the transponder under the lid of my top box as was suggested here. I was kind of worried about that because it seemed to take a long time for the reader to locate the transponder, and by the time it finally acquired it,
I was actually passing the stop light waiting for it to turn green. Think I'll try to move it farther to the front of the bike, as in one of the glove box compartments on my RT.
John

So I Just returned from the Coloado Springs Getaway Weekend, and was on the Kansas Turnpike. I put the transponder under the lid of my top box as was suggested here. I was kind of worried about that because it seemed to take a long time for the reader to locate the transponder, and by the time it finally acquired it,
I was actually passing the stop light waiting for it to turn green. Think I'll try to move it farther to the front of the bike, as in one of the glove box compartments on my RT.
John
Around here we have toll gates. No read no pass and then an attendant has to come out and you must hand then your tag. I royal pita if it's in a top case. For that reason mine sits in too if my dash, on other bikes it was stuck low inside the windscreen. Yeah it's ugly, yeah rain is a small concern, but it works every time there.

Back