• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Low beam bulb replacement for 2015 RT

bdfbeemer,

You say you have an Low beam LED in your 2014 RT? No issues?

If so, can you give more details?

I've done this nasty job-yes through the front from underneath. Last time this happened, I just took it to the dealer. I think the time unit is set for 12 minutes. They just charged me for the bulb. Actually, they were just gonna use the bulb I brought, but I like to support my dealer. I mean, it IS good to know how to do it at the side of the road...

Small hands

After spending over an hour sweating and cursing, I gave up. My girlfriend has small hands. It took her about 5 minutes to do the task.

bdfbeemer,

You say you have an Low beam LED in your 2014 RT? No issues?

If so, can you give more details?
No issues. This is the second oneI have tried. I didn't have any luck with HID set up.. The first led had copper ribbons for heat dissipation. That was a pain in the ass. The heat sink is self contained in the current one. I had to hollow grind the inside if the plastic cup but other wise plug and play . No canbus issues. I am trying a different brand on the XR just to see if there are any differences. I am waiting for them to arrive in the mail.

So your using a Hoshi H7 on the low beam and you don't get any dash lights when you switch from hi to low beams?

This is interesting.. your the 1st person I have heard from that got a LED to work..

I might have to order one..

So your using a Hoshi H7 on the low beam and you don't get any dash lights when you switch from hi to low beams?

This is interesting.. your the 1st person I have heard from that got a LED to work..

I might have to order one..
I have used two different brands abs no error codes. A lot of people have used them on XRs.

Have or did you notice any weird light patterns using the led in the RT? I've heard some headlight assy dont work well with Led's and they have shadows or dark spots. Do have any pics of the install?

Sorry for the questions, but I really want to do this to my headlight.

LED Bulb Replacement

I have been using this replacement for 1-1/2 years and 17K miles.
I commute year round and it has been a great replacement. All of the lights on my RT now have the same color range except the high beams.

Scott

I just switched out the low beam bulb successfully, it seems. It took me maybe half an hour and turned out to be much more pain-free than I thought. The harness plug I did have to fight, but it finally gave up. I got one side of the clip off and then practiced putting it back on a few times while it was fresh in my mind. After monkeying with the bulb it eventually clicked into place, then the clips actually seemed to find there way back easier than I thought they would. Anyway it looks like I saved myself a 200+ mile round trip to the dealer.

Ok, here is some feed back from my Hoshi H7 Led canbus headlight install and my thoughts..

#1, you have to remove the head light assy.. There is no way to get the hold down springs clipped with led installed without using tools (small needle nose pliers) and its still a pain.. (3 hr job)
#2. There is about 75-100 screws and pieces of plastic to remove to do this. ( be prepared to clean everything while its apart)
#3. Change your high beams out at the same time if you haven't already ( it takes 2 min when everything is apart)

Final conclusion, I'm not impressed with it all.. The light pattern seems to be wider (good) but fades over distance (kinda washed out and don't carry as far as my Phillips extreme +130) Its very white light, seems like maybe a slight blue tint tho.. Maybe that's just me. Road signs on back county roads light up and honestly almost blind you as you pass them.

If I had seen this before on a RT, I probably would not have done it and there is a high possibility I might go back to my regular H7 ( Phillips or PIAA) halogen bulb. If I'm ever on a trip and have this LED fail there is no way to change it in a parking lot and as a bonus nobody tells you about the LED emits EMI and messes with my radio and all I get is static when the head lights on.

If anyone is around the South Indianapolis area and wants to check my LED out in an RT let me know. I have one extra LED because they come in a set of 2.. and then again I might have 2 if I take mine back out.

My over all conclusion is I'm not sold on it for the swapping pain and radio issues it causes. On the plus side, night or day my headlight is almost 2 bright to look at. You can see my head light from a long distance. But the actual light on the ground in front if you isn't that impressive. After Installing I have been high beam flashed several times now. I even have the light adjusted down.

I might have missed something, so if you have questions please let me know. This is all just my personal opinion.

It wasn't any harder than a regular bulb replacement . There is no static in the audio system. Maybe I was lucky. Vision seems okay, I am also running Darlas and Ericas.

The only static I get is when I use the Radio.. If I use Sat or any other connection its fine. (after searching LED's interfere with the antenna reception)

And I don't see how you got your fingers behind the LED fan to clip the bulb retainers while its still in the bike. I had to use small needle nose pliers to reach between the LEd fan and the light housing. I should have taken pics of the installation. If I take it back out I will take pics..

You need to go buy a lottery ticket if you had zero issues installing and your radio doesn't have static. Your one lucky guy!!

I can change a halogen bulb in the bike, reaching up under the fairing in 2 min.. There is simply no room with the LED.

Last edited:
I had trouble replacing the normal bulb. It was a pita to put in the led but so was the regular bulb. I think I bent the wire. I used a long screwdriver with a notch in it. This winter I may take the front end apart and replace the wire.

Does the connector need to be pinched to remove it? Does the connector pull off in the direction of the rear of the bike

Does the connector need to be pinched to remove it? Does the connector pull off in the direction of the rear of the bike

I changed the low beam today on my '17 R1200 RTW. The connector pulls off, no pinch required. It might take a little wiggling. I put some dilectic grease on the terminals of the new bulb.

Look up Post#9 in this thread. It shows a great picture of the socket. Push in the 2 wire rings just above the slot on the bottom and then move the wire outboard to clear the slot. The bulb will just pull out when both wires are clear of the slots.

You have to push in a little then back then out. If you push out only it stays locked.

Last edited:
I just changed mine Friday night. It took about 20 minutes and a pretty sore fingertip. As others have said, the 1st spring was pretty easy and the 2nd one was a bear. You have to unplug the headlight socket before you can get to it.

I like the idea of making a tool to press against the springs.

Back