Thread: 78 100/7 kill switch

78 100/7 kill switch

The kill switch on my 78 100/7 has a Off ON Off configuration and the red lever rotates from the lower Off up to the ON. Should the red lever go from OFF to OFF with ON in the middle. I am trying to start the bike for the first time in 7 years. Starting with zero knowledge of BMW's. Thanks.

The switch should be in the middle position to run...assuming the switch is working. Confirm with this link provided by robsryder:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread....=1#post1063539
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

I got it. Jumped on the a bit too soon. Like I said, new to me. There appears to be damage to the housing of the kill switch. Is there a stop moulded into the housing? My lever will go past the ON the dash lights go out. I will have to pay attention to that while troubleshooting. I will make a hard stop before I take in on the road. I will check out the link. Thanks

Other precaution

Also, since these carbs have a somewhat unusual choking method. Be sure to keep the throttle closed fully until you hear the engine start to fire up, and then slowly start rotating the throttle. This is kind of "un-natural" if you have had other brands which have a "butterfly" type choke.
    "The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

Appreciate the tip.

New switches are relatively cheap. Buy new ones while you can; they go a long way toward making your bike look and feel nice.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles - YouTube
    Virginia Motorrad Werkstatt BMW motorcycle service and repair in central Virginia