• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'06 BMW R1200RT and Vetter Terraplane

jacobite

I'm wondering if I can mate my R1200RT to a Vetter Terraplane sidecar? I had one on my '75 Goldwing. They have been out of production since 1982 or so but are available. The hard part would be getting the hardware to mate the two. Here's a pic of my '75 Wing and Terraplane.
IMG_0644_zpsunbaxul0.jpg

The Terraplane hardware was unique in that we used a "pylon" system specifically designed for each motorcycle. DMC took possession of the last of the "OEM" mounting hardware but scrapped it all in 2013 (or so). I'm sure they would be able to accommodate with a custom set if you had your bike and a Terraplane ready to be fit up. And If you're lucky the Terraplane you find will still have it's "Trim Grip" attached. But most don't.

That doesn't mean you can't rig the chair rigid, it just won't be as versatile as the OEM set up. And with the pylon system each "mount" bolted to a plate on the sidecar frame... which would make an easy-peasy pick up point for the new mounts; no cutting required.

20140111_124311-L.jpg

The Terraplane hardware was unique in that we used a "pylon" system specifically designed for each motorcycle. DMC took possession of the last of the "OEM" mounting hardware but scrapped it all in 2013 (or so). I'm sure they would be able to accommodate with a custom set if you had your bike and a Terraplane ready to be fit up. And If you're lucky the Terraplane you find will still have it's "Trim Grip" attached. But most don't.

That doesn't mean you can't rig the chair rigid, it just won't be as versatile as the OEM set up. And with the pylon system each "mount" bolted to a plate on the sidecar frame... which would make an easy-peasy pick up point for the new mounts; no cutting required.

20140111_124311-L.jpg
[/QUOTE

Thanks for the info. You would think the trim grip would be considered an important part of the Terraplane and kept with it.

You would think the trim grip would be considered an important part of the Terraplane and kept with it.

The three-point mount, with one of them being essentially a turnbuckle ( a hell-for-stout one at that ) got a lot of criticism. Three-point mount alone gets a lot of criticism for that matter.

The Trim-Grip adressess a fine point really. I drive my Dnepr at all speed ranges and never feel the need to "fine tune" the lean out for a particular speed (which is what the Trim-Grip was intended for); a nice feature but not necessary.

The three-point mount, with one of them being essentially a turnbuckle ( a hell-for-stout one at that ) got a lot of criticism. Three-point mount alone gets a lot of criticism for that matter.

The Trim-Grip adressess a fine point really. I drive my Dnepr at all speed ranges and never feel the need to "fine tune" the lean out for a particular speed (which is what the Trim-Grip was intended for); a nice feature but not necessary.
Thanks, IMO. I'll take all the imput I get.

I'm always envious when someone resurrects a Terraplane, the RT would make a good looking combo, IMO. As the Design Lead on the project in 1980, I've driven the wheel(s) off of them, but I've never actually "owned" one of my own.

Good Hunting!

Thanks, Lew

Back