Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I bought a used 2009 R 1200RT. I now have the fuel strip problem

I bought a used 2009 R 1200RT. I now have the fuel strip problem

I bought this last month and rode it to the BMW 100 Years celebration at Laguna Seca. This past weekend I ran out of gas with 85 miles still indicated before empty. I heard of this problem; do I was not surprised. What did surprise me was my response from Garcia Moto in Raleigh, NC

Jerry,

Jon Ross with the Garcia Moto Service Department here.

Sounds like you have the prototypical Fuel Level Sending Unit malfunction.

BMW has extended the warranty on that component to 12 years from the original date of sale, so I'm sure we can take care of that issue free of charge.

The BMW mainframe has no open service campaigns on the VIN you supplied, so it should be a quick in and out visit.

We are currently scheduling appointments for Wednesday afternoon the 28th and later dates.

Do you have a day & time in mind for next week that might work for you?

Let me know what would work best and I'll check our service schedule.

We expect to need the motorcycle for approximately 90 minutes to complete the repair.

Sincerely,

Jon Ross
    Service Manager
    Garcia Moto
    8821 Wadford drive
    Raleigh, NC 27616
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    2009 R 1200 RT,1996 R1100RT, 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

Great service keeps selling bikes

We all expect our cars/bikes/appliances to have issues in its life. It is how the problem is addressed by the manufacturer that keeps us loyal.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    2009 R 1200 RT,1996 R1100RT, 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Unfortunately you need to expect to have this done over and over and over. I am on my fourth and am quite surprised that it has lasted over 4K miles. I no longer rely on what it estimates for mileage left in the tank and instead use the trip meter to track my mileage since filling up.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I don't know of many bike brands that will give you this kind of support
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

The answer to "Will it happen again?" is...maybe. Mike (above) has had a lot of failures, some riders have had many more.

OTOH, a lot of riders have had none. My 9-year-old R is at 45K and still on its original fuel strip. Still, I also do what Mike suggests and set the trip odo each time I fill up. Having years of experience is how my bike uses fuel, and knowing how many miles since I filled, makes me feel more secure than if I'd looked at the fuel quantity indication alone.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbrick View Post
    The answer to "Will it happen again?" is...maybe. Mike (above) has had a lot of failures, some riders have had many more.

OTOH, a lot of riders have had none. My 9-year-old R is at 45K and still on its original fuel strip. Still, I also do what Mike suggests and set the trip odo each time I fill up. Having years of experience is how my bike uses fuel, and knowing how many miles since I filled, makes me feel more secure than if I'd looked at the fuel quantity indication alone.
    Further- my first bikes only had odometer. The 2-pipe petcock was the reserve........and who wanted to "stall-out" in an intersection?
    Next generation had a tach.........moving towards a trip meter. I always thought everyone knew how many miles constituted a "half-tank"".
    It's easy to do with any vehicle, next time at the pump, guess how many gallons to fill. When you reset the trip meter or note the mileage, you will know when you need gas whether the gage is working or not.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Further- my first bikes only had odometer. The 2-pipe petcock was the reserve........and who wanted to "stall-out" in an intersection?
    Next generation had a tach.........moving towards a trip meter. I always thought everyone knew how many miles constituted a "half-tank"".
    It's easy to do with any vehicle, next time at the pump, guess how many gallons to fill. When you reset the trip meter or note the mileage, you will know when you need gas whether the gage is working or not.
    OM
    That's how I started and still look at the trip ODO to confirm what my fuel gauge says.

And don't get me started on riders who insist they need a gear indicator....

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicVW View Post
    That's how I started and still look at the trip ODO to confirm what my fuel gauge says.

Or one of them new fangled foot shifters....
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

I have a 2009 RT I just bought several months ago too

I have about 43k on it currently. Are there any other indicators other than just one day running out of gas when the display says you have many more miles to go?
    Cliff Donald
    2017 R1200RT
    2009 R1200RT
    Houston, Texas (The Woodlands area)

Quote Originally Posted by cliffd View Post
    I have about 43k on it currently. Are there any other indicators other than just one day running out of gas when the display says you have many more miles to go?
    Look for gas when the trip meter you reset at the last fill-up says you've traveled 250 miles.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

If its any consolation, you could have bought a NEW RT and had a fuel strip problem. My R uses the same strip and failed 3 miles from dealership, second strip has lasted 28k miles.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

Quote Originally Posted by jandhumphreyme View Post
    If its any consolation, you could have bought a NEW RT and had a fuel strip problem. My R uses the same strip and failed 3 miles from dealership, second strip has lasted 28k miles.
    On RT's I believe they sacked the strip in 2010/2011 time frame and went back to a float for gas level. Did your float go bad?
    F850GSA

MOA #46783

Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    On RT's I believe they sacked the strip in 2010/2011 time frame and went back to a float for gas level. Did your float go bad?
    My R is a 2011, strip. You are absolutely correct the RT switched to a float in August 2010.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

I think BMW switched to a float for the 2011 model year on most of the bikes. Our 2011 K1300S bikes had a float.
    For some reason BMW continued with the strip on the R1200R until the new liquid cooled bike in 2015.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicVW View Post

Top 5 modern inventions ....
    1. Electricity
    2. Automobile / Airplane
    3. Motorcycle
    4. Motorcycle fuel gauge
    5. Motorcycle gear indicator

My 05 RT is on its second fuel strip.... I sold it and now own a 2010 RT with 22K and no fuel strip problems yet.