• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

My biggest fear happened today

weeman

Hello all!

While riding up from Seattle going north to Bellingham on my 1995 R1100rsl I was following a big rig keeping a distance behind as most of the traffic had a close proximity to me. As I was paying attention to the guy beside me and taking my site off the big rig momentarily I then focused back on my forward path only to briefly see what was fairly solid semi wide on the ground cross under my front wheel. When the front of the wheel hit this object the bike immediately jumped 6 inches came down with a very brief wobble then settled back on my path forward. I then traveled to the side of the road unharmed to assess the damage only to find the wheel had bent a little bit on both sides. I finished getting home after riding an addition 20 miles with the bike and a very slight difference in rolling but knowing I cannot ride the bike after that.

I guess in a way I'm damn lucky to be writing this while at home on my computer safe and sound. I guess now I will be hunting for a straight used front wheel for my bike....any suggestions where I can find one?
Thanks for reading this post.

Steve

Thank Christ you're OK...I have nightmares about scenario's like that...lol
The fact that you didn't go down is pretty amazing...
I'd check flea bay for wheels...I'm sure you could get it straightened locally...tons of wheel straightening shops around here

Thanks for all your kind words and good info! I was extremely lucky today and count my lucky stars for sure. I was just on Fleabay and noticed that most of the wheels are rear wheels that are available so my search continues. So, it seems that this must be a very weak link in the wheel chain on this bike....very soft alloy!

Good to hear you are OK.
Don't forget to check the comprehensive coverage on your insurance.
Some times comprehensive claims have a low deductible and does not affect your rates.

Last edited:
Sometimes, the local rim repair places can straighten it. Find one that does mag wheels and you may get lucky. I've used one here in Winnipeg numerous times and they have done a very good job.

Good to hear you are OK.
Don't forget to check the comprehensive coverage on your insurance.
Some times comprehensive claims has a low deductible and does not affect your rates.

Thanks Lee! I will for sure look in to that.

It was good that things happened just as they did. If you had tried dodging the piece and hit it, you probably would have gone down. I've hit loading pallets and garage doors amongst other things, with no chance to dodge 'em...

It was good that things happened just as they did. If you had tried dodging the piece and hit it, you probably would have gone down. I've hit loading pallets and garage doors amongst other things, with no chance to dodge 'em...
It fortunately worked out the way it did as it came up too quickly hidden by the bloody truck in front of me to even avoid it so I hit it square on.
Geez, I'm still thinking how quickly it happened!

I've had Snowflake wheels successfully straightened. Have your local BMW expert check them afterwards, to make sure they're within BMW spec. One of my wheels had to go back twice.

Good luck.

Back