• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wunderlich or BMW tank bag.

36654 said:
;1063526 In my experience, which might purely be a function of the brands I've used, the rubber compound leaches an oily residue which can stain the mating surface and captures dust. What I prefer and can rarely find is a good 1/8 -1/4" thk closed cell foam with a basket weave (no-skid) pattern on one face. The smooth face product is available on Amazon.

I have heard of others having that problem, but I never did. Maybe it had to do with only using the bag on trips where it is removed several times during the day and not left on the bike at night.

Last edited:
I have heard of others having that problem, but I never did. Maybe it had to do with only using the bag on trips where it is removed several times during the day and not left on the bike at night.

Rant hat on........

In the past few years, I've noticed that most every retailer's products have dropped in quality to a Harbor Freight level. And, as we all know and love, that distinctive HF aroma is the leaching / off gas-ing of polymer resins from the top of the line plastics they sell. That same aroma is now found in the tool sections at Lowes and Home Depot. The current offerings for a garden hose are really bad. I can't imagine taking a drink from the hose these days.

OK.........Rant over

I really wanted to get the Elephant Bag. But in the end the costs seemed too high. You have to buy the bag AND then the bike specific mounting piece. I think it was close to $350 bucks in the end. So- i went with the Wolfman Rainier bag.

$199

IMG_0112-M.jpg

It fits the slope of the tank nicely.

I can't speak to the Wunderlich or BMW bag, but can enthusiastically recommend the SW Motech Bags Connection City Bag which I have on my 2015 RT. Here's a link:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sw-motech-quick-lock-evo-city-non-electric-tank-bag

It attaches to the tank via a tank ring, which keeps it off the paint, no straps to mess with and makes it easy to detach for gas fill-ups.

I am a new member and 2016 RT 1200 owner and I have used the SW Motech tank bag on my 2014 FJR 1300 which I traded in on the 2016 RT 1200. Kept the Motech tankbag and all that is necessary is a new tank ring. I really like the easy on, easy off mounting of the SW Motech bag. It is not waterproof like the BMW tankbag but it comes with a fitted plastic rain cover. The Motech bag I have is about 30% larger than the BMW RT bag.

I am a new member and 2016 RT 1200 owner and I have used the SW Motech tank bag on my 2014 FJR 1300 which I traded in on the 2016 RT 1200. Kept the Motech tankbag and all that is necessary is a new tank ring. I really like the easy on, easy off mounting of the SW Motech bag. It is not waterproof like the BMW tankbag but it comes with a fitted plastic rain cover. The Motech bag I have is about 30% larger than the BMW RT bag.

I have the SW Motech City bag and love it. It is a little fiddly to get on and off right at first, but once you get the feel of where to place it on the tank ring, it's easy peasy.

tank bag

Thanks for all the feedback. I went up to Max's and had a weak moment and picked up a new Garmin Nav V. Blew my money for the time being but will be in the tank bag market again soon. Leaning towards that Wunderlich bag.

The good thing about owning a nav 5 is that everytime it cannot find and address u can can use the GPS on your phone

I am really sorry, I hate to burst anyone's excitement about a farkle.

I have been doing some travelling, and the thing is that using a GPS from the google server is a lot more accurate, convenient. and user-friendly than a Nav 5. The google GPS will ask you if you want to re-route given impending traffic jams, and it has always found addressed (way points) that the Nav 5 could not. A couple of times, the Nav 5 stopped working because it had to be updated, so I had to wait until I got into a motel.

You have to pay for traffic report on the Nav 5 which you get free from the google map

In the years to come, it will be impossible for an external unit (any navigator) to keep up with the satellite resources of big brother google.

In my next tour, instead of using my Samsung S5 to navigate (as is my preference over the Nav5), I am gonna use a note and mounted on the handlebars--where I now mount my cell--and thus get a larger display than I get with my Samsung S5 GPS map---though it ain't that bad.

The one potential advantage of the Nav 5 would be to use Base Camp to create routes; but after a couple hours of trying to use Base Camp most people give up. It is the worse program platform I have ever used. I spent weeks and consultation with experts attempting to master Base Camp...and in the short run, its better to just enter way points in the GPS and go from there--much simpler and effective.

I am really sorry, but I got nothing good to say about the Nav 5...it is a 'left-behind' technology.

I am really sorry, I hate to burst anyone's excitement about a farkle.

I am really sorry, but I got nothing good to say about the Nav 5...it is a 'left-behind' technology.

It is clear you have not traveled off the well beaten path and only kept to well populated areas. Where there is poor or NO cell service it is a different story. I do agree Google maps is far superior IF you are in range of cell service (yes I know you can down load area google maps...)

I do a lot of riding in remote norther new england and canada. My Nav 5 works.... google maps on my Cell phone does not.

This Summer I was around UT somewhere and couldn't get the Nav 5 to work. Eventually, I called a shop in Sandy and the service mnrg told me several guys were complaining about the same thing and suggested to try and update it. When I ran an update it began to work again.

The same happened to me once prior to leaving on a teip. I updated it by osmosis and it worked again.

Most of the time, I only set up way points on Nav 5 in order to free my phone to use Waze so I can watch out for speed traps.

Some folks claims Waze is as good as Google GPS. In which case, you are using an app that does:

GPS
Watch for cops
Road hazards warnings
Traffic jam monitors

So why bother with a Garmin?

Wunderlich or BMW Tank Bag

My used 2011 R1200RT (3 years ago)came with a tank bag named Nelson-Rigg (no other info on bag). I really like the bag, unfortunately, several times in a tight right (at fuel stations, etc) the bag contacted my kill switch. Slow, tight right in low gear, unexpected engine stalls, bad situation. I'm in the market for a different bag or a switch protector. Anyone else ever heard of this and possible fixes, realizing bag replacement is number one fix? I'm afraid to do an on-line purchase unless full bag dimensions are posted. I guess the first step is go full right turn, and measure the travel/clearance requirements in the tank area. Prepping for a 12K mile trip in May.

My used 2011 R1200RT (3 years ago)came with a tank bag named Nelson-Rigg (no other info on bag). I really like the bag, unfortunately, several times in a tight right (at fuel stations, etc) the bag contacted my kill switch. Slow, tight right in low gear, unexpected engine stalls, bad situation. I'm in the market for a different bag or a switch protector. Anyone else ever heard of this and possible fixes, realizing bag replacement is number one fix? I'm afraid to do an on-line purchase unless full bag dimensions are posted. I guess the first step is go full right turn, and measure the travel/clearance requirements in the tank area. Prepping for a 12K mile trip in May.

Nelson-Rigg and Cortech make a range of moderately priced and affordable tank/tail bags. Completely serviceable in my opinion. Wolfman is higher quality (design &construction), but also more expensive.

https://www.nelsonrigg.com/luggage/tank-bags/cl-2014-journey-mini-motorcycle-tank-bag-detail.html

http://www.cortech.net/tank_bags?gc...snaj23kQKvYQmUJkHyjo_8Fcgbee9nxruYaAklC8P8HAQ

Speaking generally, what's always impressed me about BMW tank bags is their elegant mounting systems.

Back