• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wunderlich or BMW tank bag.

Just joined MOA a few seconds ago. Looking forward to participation as I am a proud owner of the RT1200 2016. This is my second RT as I owned a 2013 and traded it in at Max’s for the 2016 last year. Had a great experience with Max’s NY shop. What a difference between my 2013 and the new redesign.

My question is regarding what tank bag to pick up. I have studied all the stuff on the BMW R tank bag and the Wunderlich Elephant tank bag. Was wondering how members compare each respective product. One of my concerns is the scratching of the tank as I am still babying the bike. Was wondering if the strap system on the Wunderlich is less likely to scratch the tank?

One of my concerns is that the Wunderlich Elephant bag looks huge and was wondering if it obstructs your vision regarding the dash on the bike. Can pick up a Wunderlich Elephant with the strap for 360.00 and a new BMW tank bag for 310.00.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Bob

Welcome to the forum, Bob! Nice to establish a good relationship with a dealer! :thumb

I have the Elephant bag, and it's terrific. It does not obstruct the dash, even when the bag is fully expanded. Check out my avatar. There it is!

Just joined MOA a few seconds ago. Looking forward to participation as I am a proud owner of the RT1200 2016. This is my second RT as I owned a 2013 and traded it in at Max’s for the 2016 last year. Had a great experience with Max’s NY shop. What a difference between my 2013 and the new redesign.

My question is regarding what tank bag to pick up. I have studied all the stuff on the BMW R tank bag and the Wunderlich Elephant tank bag. Was wondering how members compare each respective product. One of my concerns is the scratching of the tank as I am still babying the bike. Was wondering if the strap system on the Wunderlich is less likely to scratch the tank?

One of my concerns is that the Wunderlich Elephant bag looks huge and was wondering if it obstructs your vision regarding the dash on the bike. Can pick up a Wunderlich Elephant with the strap for 360.00 and a new BMW tank bag for 310.00.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Bob

If you're anal about scratching the tank, like me. Buy a Bagster tank cover and mount whatever bag to it.

I have had the BMW tank bag and harness for a couple of years and it works fine and has not scratched the bike's finish. Don't know about the Wunderlich product. Plus, mine is mounted on an F800ST instead of a 1200RT. Good luck with your search.

I can't speak to the Wunderlich or BMW bag, but can enthusiastically recommend the SW Motech Bags Connection City Bag which I have on my 2015 RT. Here's a link:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sw-motech-quick-lock-evo-city-non-electric-tank-bag

It attaches to the tank via a tank ring, which keeps it off the paint, no straps to mess with and makes it easy to detach for gas fill-ups.

I recommend the SW Motech Bags. They have several sizes. I have a smaller one on my 2016 R1200RS. Well made, easy access to refueling...does not touch the tank at all!

I prefer the RKA.

They mold around the curve of the tank nicely

I had those motec snap on-off ones and it was a pain in the rear to pull on that chord sticking out the front

The RKA has one strap toward the seat (two toward the front). I pop that off and prop it up on the handlebars and fuel away...easiest

Another vote for the Elephant here. Doesn't interfere at all with gauges on my '15 RT. Easy to access and quick to flip out of the way for gas stops.

The only downside is that I have Illium Barbacks installed and as a result, a left turn to the lock can cause the bag to hit the horn. But you adapt.

I bought a GIVI 306 tank bag that mounts on a ring that is attached to the gas tank. My only complaint is that because of its width the horn button hits it when the steering is at full lock left. Very, very roomy and mounts/dismounts easy for filling the tank. No contact at all with the tank. Used it on a 7400 mile trip last month; filled the bill perfectly. Now, at home I took it off not needing a tank bag for everyday use. A 10 minute job reinstalling the ring.

Larry

I have a 2016 also. They are available. I bought mine from Motostorm an Italian on line retailer. Longish delivery but quite cheaper than stateside retailers.

You might consider Touratech

For my 2015, I chose the Touratech tank bag. It fits nicely and flips down for fuelling (must remember to zip it up first).

It is a bit smaller than I expected, but does the job.

The plastic map pocket does not reflect sun into my eyes the way the BMW one on my 2011 did, because it fits more to the rear of the tank and I don't see it at all.

Sure miss the mounting rails and the quick disconnect I used to have.

If you're anal about scratching the tank, like me. Buy a Bagster tank cover and mount whatever bag to it.

I used rubber shelf liner under a couple of my BMW bags to prevent scratching. You can see it under the bag on the left.
I also waxed the tank before each trip.

Large_Small.JPG

I used rubber shelf liner under a couple of my BMW bags to prevent scratching. You can see it under the bag on the left.
I also waxed the tank before each trip.

Large_Small.JPG

Lee,

I haven't used it for tank bag padding, but I'm familiar with the shelf liner. In my experience, which might purely be a function of the brands I've used, the rubber compound leaches an oily residue which can stain the mating surface and captures dust. What I prefer and can rarely find is a good 1/8 -1/4" thk closed cell foam with a basket weave (no-skid) pattern on one face. The smooth face product is available on Amazon.

Back when such things existed, some mouse pads were a pretty decent (and often free) source of this material.

Yes, I am that cheap.

I have the BMW tank bag on my GS Adv WC. My only complaint is formation of condensate on the inside of the map case during rain or high humidity weather.

Back