Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Wunderlich or BMW tank bag.

wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by mopo View Post
    I am really sorry, I hate to burst anyone's excitement about a farkle.

I am really sorry, but I got nothing good to say about the Nav 5...it is a 'left-behind' technology.

It is clear you have not traveled off the well beaten path and only kept to well populated areas. Where there is poor or NO cell service it is a different story. I do agree Google maps is far superior IF you are in range of cell service (yes I know you can down load area google maps...)

I do a lot of riding in remote norther new england and canada. My Nav 5 works.... google maps on my Cell phone does not.

This Summer I was around UT somewhere and couldn't get the Nav 5 to work. Eventually, I called a shop in Sandy and the service mnrg told me several guys were complaining about the same thing and suggested to try and update it. When I ran an update it began to work again.

The same happened to me once prior to leaving on a teip. I updated it by osmosis and it worked again.

Most of the time, I only set up way points on Nav 5 in order to free my phone to use Waze so I can watch out for speed traps.

Some folks claims Waze is as good as Google GPS. In which case, you are using an app that does:

GPS
    Watch for cops
    Road hazards warnings
    Traffic jam monitors

So why bother with a Garmin?

Talk about a sidetracked thread about tank bags
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

BMW or Wunderlich?? Why not Rube Goldberg.........

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post

Talk about a sidetracked thread about tank bags
    This is what we do in my low rent neighborhood.......

Tank Bag.jpg
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Wunderlich or BMW Tank Bag

My used 2011 R1200RT (3 years ago)came with a tank bag named Nelson-Rigg (no other info on bag). I really like the bag, unfortunately, several times in a tight right (at fuel stations, etc) the bag contacted my kill switch. Slow, tight right in low gear, unexpected engine stalls, bad situation. I'm in the market for a different bag or a switch protector. Anyone else ever heard of this and possible fixes, realizing bag replacement is number one fix? I'm afraid to do an on-line purchase unless full bag dimensions are posted. I guess the first step is go full right turn, and measure the travel/clearance requirements in the tank area. Prepping for a 12K mile trip in May.

wanderer
    I think Wunderlich has a horn protector switch which might work. check it out

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    My used 2011 R1200RT (3 years ago)came with a tank bag named Nelson-Rigg (no other info on bag). I really like the bag, unfortunately, several times in a tight right (at fuel stations, etc) the bag contacted my kill switch. Slow, tight right in low gear, unexpected engine stalls, bad situation. I'm in the market for a different bag or a switch protector. Anyone else ever heard of this and possible fixes, realizing bag replacement is number one fix? I'm afraid to do an on-line purchase unless full bag dimensions are posted. I guess the first step is go full right turn, and measure the travel/clearance requirements in the tank area. Prepping for a 12K mile trip in May.
    Nelson-Rigg and Cortech make a range of moderately priced and affordable tank/tail bags. Completely serviceable in my opinion. Wolfman is higher quality (design &construction), but also more expensive.

https://www.nelsonrigg.com/luggage/t...ag-detail.html

http://www.cortech.net/tank_bags?gcl...ruYaAklC8P8HAQ
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Speaking generally, what's always impressed me about BMW tank bags is their elegant mounting systems.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Quote Originally Posted by powwow View Post
    I can't speak to the Wunderlich or BMW bag, but can enthusiastically recommend the SW Motech Bags Connection City Bag which I have on my 2015 RT. Here's a link:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...ctric-tank-bag

It attaches to the tank via a tank ring, which keeps it off the paint, no straps to mess with and makes it easy to detach for gas fill-ups.
    Can you post side view picture of what it looks like on your bike?
    Mike Gray #103649
    2000 K1200LTC
    2014 F700GS
    2016 R1200RT

From all of my research and comparison I really have come to think that the tank-ring mounting system employed by SW or Givi is the way to go. The quick release for fueling coupled with the lack of any contact between the bag and the tank appeal to me.

By the way, the link to the quick-lock ring for SW bag on the 2016 R1200RT with keyless ignition at Revzilla is:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sw-motech-quick-lock-evo-tankring-adapter-kit-bmw-keyless-ride-models

Ski

Quote Originally Posted by powwow View Post
    I can't speak to the Wunderlich or BMW bag, but can enthusiastically recommend the SW Motech Bags Connection City Bag which I have on my 2015 RT. Here's a link:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...ctric-tank-bag

It attaches to the tank via a tank ring, which keeps it off the paint, no straps to mess with and makes it easy to detach for gas fill-ups.
    I use the Givi on my 1200 MUltistrada and they also use the ring mount. I think the ring mount is the best system for tank bags except for the older 1200RT mounts that clipped onto the bike. I also added a small piece of sheepskin at the rear base of the tank bag just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk