• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1200 RT and CB radio help

2wheeledfaith

I ride each year from LA to DC with a group called Run For The Wall. www.rftw.org It's quite a model of logistics and volunteer cooperation getting over 100 riders to DC on 3 different routes across the country. If you want to know more about it, hit me up. The leadership team communicates with CB radios and information is passed down the sometimes 2-5 miles of bikers and support teams. The majority of guys ride Harley's, there's a number of Goldwings and a handful of BMW's. I ride a 2013 R1200GSA OC and installed a J&M CB with a hardwire unit in my helmet. I have a friend who traded his Harley for Goldwing years ago and now is looking at the R1200RT's, but wants to know about integrating a CB into the on-board comm that will function with his cell phone and GPS. If you have any light to shed on this please do so and I'll pass the info on to him.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I used Sena's SH10 for connecting my 2-way radio with great success, but that is using Bluetooth so I avoid being hardwired to the bike.

and now is looking at the R1200RT's, but wants to know about integrating a CB into the on-board comm that will function with his cell phone and GPS. If you have any light to shed on this please do so and I'll pass the info on to him.

I'm not aware of an input into the Audio System on an RT. But, helmet bluetooth communicators usually have a receptacle somewhere so you can plug in an MP3 player.

You should be able to use that to plug in a CB unit.

Best to check out if this works before paying out the money.

Ed, I'm not sure but it is my understanding that the signal from an MP3 player and a CB are different and that the input on the Bluetooth helmet system for MP3 won't work for the CB.

It would also not address the need to be able to activate the PTT (press to talk) button. The Sena SR10 addresses both of these issues.

I'd recommend working with a qualified retailer like Rocket Moto (Adam Schoolaski) that has plenty of experience in this field and a proven track record.

Ed, I'm not sure but it is my understanding that the signal from an MP3 player and a CB are different and that the input on the Bluetooth helmet system for MP3 won't work for the CB.

It would also not address the need to be able to activate the PTT (press to talk) button. The Sena SR10 addresses both of these issues.

I'd recommend working with a qualified retailer like Rocket Moto (Adam Schoolaski) that has plenty of expWorkierience in this field and a proven track record.

Working with an expert is good advice.

An MP3 player has a jack for headphones and I am pretty sure you can use a cable to connect that to some communicators. But, you are correct about the PTT switch, which would have to be pushed on the unit.

If the Sena does the trick, I'd like to know some of the details...

Ed, I'm travelling at the moment so can't dig up the details easily, but I used the Sena SR10 with my 2-way radio and the Sena PTT handlebar-mounted button (can't recall if it came with the SR10, but think it was an extra). Everything worked fine.

I'd suggest you give Adam a call and he can run you through it and ensure you have the "right tools" for the job.

Bruce,

I have ridden with RFTW since 2006, and I think you're talking about "Bones". Unfortunately (for Bones), it seems that my wife and I were able to have the last two BMW R1200RT's that J&M installed their CB units on. Something about BMW (that doesn't think CB's are useful from their European vantage) refusing to furnish the wiring harness that integrates J&M's CB with the RT's audio system.

I am actually looking at integrating a 2m HAM radio on the bike utilizing either a Sena 10u or 20s together with Sena's SR10 that allows you to connect a FRS/GMRS, CB, or 2m HT, and I just now left a VM for Bones to let him know what his options are. I think the cost of all the Sena equipment should be around $500, and a portable CB unit can be had for $50 to $100.

John McKee
RFTW BOD

Back