• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

fuel filter replacement & relocation...

krash

So I finally got around to finish the last part of my 24k...fuel filter replacement...
Disassembly of the tank and internals aren't too bad...I was curious if the filter had ever been replaced.
Sure enough, date on the filter was Dec of 1998!

I used flexible internal fuel hose kit from BMW Boneyard to bypass internal filter...worked perfectly, just had to trim length and adjust to make sure it didn't interfere with fuel float...put everything back together, all seemed well, until I re-routed the fuel hose to the filter...seems I'd reversed the supply and return lines...lol

Once straightened out, mounted a fresh factory filter and mounted it tucked away under the side of the tank...beautiful fit...checked for leaks and took it for a rip...looks like I wasn't getting good flow through the old filter...
Bike actually revs quicker and throttle response is better...with the crappy fuel we have here, now it'll be a 10 minute job to replace the filter every other year...highly recommended process if you are some what mechanically inclined...

Bottom line, replace your filter if age is in question...

Hi krash, did you use the external hose kit that BB sells? Was it enough for the filter relocation? Where did you get the vent hose from? The dealer? I have heard that it takes 2 lengths of the vent hose to give working room, that 1 length is barely long enough?

Dadrider

Not a fan of external fuel filters. Since they need changing every 20,000 kms or 12,000 miles for me that is about once a year. My 1100RT requires fairing removal and tank removal to get at the filter however once you've done it a couple of times it really is not difficult. I need to pull the fairing at least once a year anyway to synch throttle bodies etc. and in reality the plastic comes off more often that that for various reasons anyway.

Now if you are riding an Iron Butt or rely on your bike for work everyday and it HAS to run every day then maybe, just maybe I might consider it but even then, probably not. Occasionally I hear of a plugged fuel filter or water in the gas. I'm not interested in an iron butt patch; my butt is sore enough already thanks. I have never experienced a totally clogged fuel filter and to the best of my knowledge water in the gas is a very rare problem and if I have had it the issue corrected itself within one tank of gas. Not enough for me to consider introducing all those new hose connections which add potential points of failure.

Just my opinion of course but keeping the bike stock is never a bad idea is it?

I have changed many fuel filters on various models of Oilheads.
I usually blow them backwards into a tin can to see how much debris is in them.
In conclusion - not much is ever found.
I have yet to find one that was clogged.
There were reasons why BMW located them in the tank and am not a fan of relocation outside.
YRMV

I have changed many fuel filters on various models of Oilheads.
I usually blow them backwards into a tin can to see how much debris is in them.
In conclusion - not much is ever found.
I have yet to find one that was clogged.
There were reasons why BMW located them in the tank and am not a fan of relocation outside.
YRMV

And I have had a few clog over the years and am a fan of properly insltalling reliable filters outside the tank. Early K bike filters split where numbers were stamped in the body, and at the crimped seams. Later ones are a little better. I prefer welded steel filter bodies compared to crimped aluminum filter bodies so that is what I install.

My snarkey response is of course BMW put their crappy stamped, crimped filters inside the tank because they knew that a fair percentage of them might split and spew fuel. ): YMMV.

I prefer welded steel filter bodies compared to crimped aluminum filter bodies so that is what I install.

): YMMV.

The OE aluminum filters are all machine welded, not crimped.

Attachments

• Fuel filter end.jpg
    Fuel filter end.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 358
Gentlemen, I respect all 3 of you and your views on the relocation, even though they differ. I think I'll mull it over a bit.

I guess as a 24 yr Diesel mechanic I see the advantage to put a filter where it is available for servicing and troubleshooting.

I also see the safety factor in leaving it as is. vs exposing it to a place where it could leak.

The ironic part of this is. I own a 2006 GMC Sierra with a 5.3 LS engine Z VIN. I also have a 2003 Honda Civic with the 1.7 VTEC.

Neither of those cars has a fuel filter any where in the system from the factory. In the last 2 yrs both cars have had the Fuel Pump module replaced. No filter anywhere in the system Just the sock

The GMC went 184000 before the pump / sending unit was replaced at 10 yrs old. The Honda at 127,000 and 11 yrs.

Both cars run well and fine with no filter in the system

Things to ponder.

Thank you all for the opinion and the support. I'll let you know how I proceed. Parts order is in with the Boneyard for interior and exterior hose. I have to source and purchase the internal vent hose and I'll start on the fuel system and the spline lube, her first.

Gentlemen, I respect all 3 of you and your views on the relocation, even though they differ. I think I'll mull it over a bit.

I guess as a 24 yr Diesel mechanic I see the advantage to put a filter where it is available for servicing and troubleshooting.

I also see the safety factor in leaving it as is. vs exposing it to a place where it could leak.

The ironic part of this is. I own a 2006 GMC Sierra with a 5.3 LS engine Z VIN. I also have a 2003 Honda Civic with the 1.7 VTEC.

Neither of those cars has a fuel filter any where in the system from the factory. In the last 2 yrs both cars have had the Fuel Pump module replaced. No filter anywhere in the system Just the sock

The GMC went 184000 before the pump / sending unit was replaced at 10 yrs old. The Honda at 127,000 and 11 yrs.

Both cars run well and fine with no filter in the system

Things to ponder.

Thank you all for the opinion and the support. I'll let you know how I proceed. Parts order is in with the Boneyard for interior and exterior hose. I have to source and purchase the internal vent hose and I'll start on the fuel system and the spline lube, her first.

The 1200 hexheads have no replaceable filter. The only filter is the sock on the pump intake.

When I was the Bosch tech rep for diesel, in a discussion with the gas tech rep, he said fuel filters in gas systems was a waste as the stuff that damages the fuel system is usually water and alcohol. He said the sock was adequate to filter out the chunks and the filters in the injectors was good enough.
Yes, our injectors have filters inside them and you can replace them.
Still though, I replace my filter every year since I have all winter to do it and winter started, damn.
I haven't replaced a fuel pump on a newer vehicle for a long time and the last time I did, the truck was just that close to being donated.
As to diesel, every season change and I can't recall changing a fuel filter because it was plugged with junk. Full of water, full of wax, frozen solid because it was full of water and wax. I would probably change them less often if I knew the owner actually read the owner's manual where it says to drain the water every day.

When I was the Bosch tech rep for diesel, in a discussion with the gas tech rep, he said fuel filters in gas systems was a waste as the stuff that damages the fuel system is usually water and alcohol. He said the sock was adequate to filter out the chunks and the filters in the injectors was good enough.
Yes, our injectors have filters inside them and you can replace them.
Still though, I replace my filter every year since I have all winter to do it and winter started, damn.
I haven't replaced a fuel pump on a newer vehicle for a long time and the last time I did, the truck was just that close to being donated.
As to diesel, every season change and I can't recall changing a fuel filter because it was plugged with junk. Full of water, full of wax, frozen solid because it was full of water and wax. I would probably change them less often if I knew the owner actually read the owner's manual where it says to drain the water every day.

I agree. The only time I ever changed a filter out was either by the side of the road when a filter in a Quadrajet was plugged with water, or on a big bore diesel engine when it lost RPM. All other times it was routine maintenance or troubleshooting and a plugged filter was not a performance loss or concern.

The 1200 hexheads have no replaceable filter. The only filter is the sock on the pump intake.

Interestingly enough the R1200ST and R1200R do have fuel filters, mounted externally. Also, the F800 has one (internal) but it's not shown in the fiche and it's not listed in the service schedule. FI F650 singles had one, external. I haven't had a K52 tank apart yet but it looks like it has the F800 setup.

The R1200RT and GS seem to be outliers in not having one, and BMW seems to have returned to using separate filters even if they are never changed.

I felt the need to chime in here.....I installed an external FF on my 1100RT for ease of replacement when doing my yearly winter maintenance and for ease of replacement (if necessary) while on the road. Without going into great detail the pics show the filter placement with the install. I searched the site for info on the in tank mods and did them as well, the info is here somewhere. I use a filter made for late model Chrysler New Yorkers

2013-03-16 14.55.02B.jpg

2013-03-16 14.54.23B.jpg

2013-03-22 09.34.29B.jpg

Interestingly enough the R1200ST and R1200R do have fuel filters, mounted externally. Also, the F800 has one (internal) but it's not shown in the fiche and it's not listed in the service schedule. FI F650 singles had one, external. I haven't had a K52 tank apart yet but it looks like it has the F800 setup.

The R1200RT and GS seem to be outliers in not having one, and BMW seems to have returned to using separate filters even if they are never changed.

Thanks for the heads up Anton!
Just checked that out on the MAX fiche - appears to be the same as the oilhead one

Thanks for the heads up Anton!
Just checked that out on the MAX fiche - appears to be the same as the oilhead one

The Hex filters I got are smaller OD I believe. I'll look in a bit, but recall a size difference .

I have had two filters plugged with water/crud from metal tanked oilhead models.Both had been stored with half tanks for some time sadly.
Fuel was just not flowing. Have cut several others open and nothing scary to report

The Hex filters I got are smaller OD I believe. I'll look in a bit, but recall a size difference .

I have had two filters plugged with water/crud from metal tanked oilhead models.Both had been stored with half tanks for some time sadly.
Fuel was just not flowing. Have cut several others open and nothing scary to report

The one for the 1200 ST is the same as the oilhead ones (and K's)
16 14 2 325 859
http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/PartsSearch.aspx?&searchtype=partnumber&parts=16 14 2 325 859

I first did it (filter relocation) back when Voni was riding alone all over the North American continent in 1999, the year she rode over 73,000 miles in 6 months. The notion that she would empty the tank, remove it, lay it on its side in the gravel shoulder, remove the fuel pump plate, snake 6 inches of stuff through a 5 inch hole, and replace the filter in the ditch beside the road in Wyoming or Nevada or New Jersey was comical. Pure stupidity on BMW's part. The horrible "danger" is two extra hose clamps on good fuel hose. Whoop di doo di doo di doo way day! Get real folks. The issues with stupid broken OEM quick disconnects are massive compared to two added clamped hoses. The issue of convenience compared to danger is stupid. But keeping with the U.S. general attitude of fear. We should all always be continuously afraid the the big bad boogy man, woman, child, or fuel hose leak. Bul$$hit!! You purist got this one all wrong, for sure. BMW and their leak prone filters cause one conclusion. Real, sound, quality filters cause a totally different conclusion.

Last edited:
FWIW I have not had/seen a split or clogged fuel filter in years.

What I HAVE seen and heard of are incorrect fuel clamps & under tightened ones blowing off and stranding the owner.
In each case it was a good thing that the filter was inside the tank.

FWIW I have not had/seen a split or clogged fuel filter in years.

What I HAVE seen and heard of are incorrect fuel clamps & under tightened ones blowing off and stranding the owner.
In each case it was a good thing that the filter was inside the tank.

I was thinking that same thing. I was wondering if the clamps that came with the beemerboneyard kit :

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/161211800405ft.html

and even putting the external hose in aircraft fire shield? I mean that would not prevent a mishap, but would prevent chafing of the hose at least and it would not prevent clamp loosening. I don't think you can safety wire those clamps, but I think I know of a set that have thumbscrews that can be safety wired after tighened.

That sounds like overkill, and it may be. but I see the point(s)

Dadrider.

If you have limited mechanical skills, and use non compatible products to complete a modification like this, and do not trust your work......then don't do it. The fuel filter on our RT was re-routed four years ago and I have had no fuel issues,no leaks. Using proper fuel line clamps,hose and filter is key. Think of the placement of fuel filters on some late model automobiles and trucks......they were exposed to the elements, not hidden away in the fuel tank and if your like most riders, you look after your steed better than your car. I did the mod because I didn't want to be stuck on the side of a road pulling off the fuel tank. I got the idea from posts here on the forum, read all I could find, and made my decision for the placement based on that info.

Back