• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200RT Oil Plug

My wife and I are still chuckling about "eating pie" as a means to enable sanitary transmission oil changes.

:ha

Surely there is some other way!!!

Yep, I cut the bottom off a 2 liter plastic soda bottle so it just jams under the transmission and into my drain pan. You can manipulate it all around to where you like then unscrew the plug you previously loosened. Once in a while I drop the plug but just takes a little longer for the 2 liter jug to empty with the plug in the neck of the bottle. Nary a drop on the floor.

GD

Well,

I got the valve today and couldn't get it on. There's a protrusion in the gearbox casting that interferes with the valve body as you try to spin it on. They make an extension and I think a 1/2" inch one would be enough but I needed to get the bike done and so I just put the regular plug in and filled it. I'll think about getting the extension the next time I replace the gearbox oil.

BTY. Because I'm anal about some things I used a 100ml syringe to fill the gearbox (same one I used for the final drive. Spec is 700ml, most folks say fill until it comes out the hole. I determined that it takes 720ml to just start dribbling out of the fill hole.

BTY. Because I'm anal about some things I used a 100ml syringe to fill the gearbox (same one I used for the final drive. Spec is 700ml, most folks say fill until it comes out the hole. I determined that it takes 720ml to just start dribbling out of the fill hole.

on the center stand or on both wheels unweighted....?

:scratch

On the center stand. The spec is 700ml and it was full at 720ml. If you do it on the side stand you will dramatically overfill it.

thanks Pappy....i was meaning with the bike on its two wheels stabilized in an upright position....i am fully aware of the overfilling issue while on the side stand....i instill about 720cc of Mobil 1-75w90 gear lube with LiquiMoly in my 13RT with well over 104000miles at 6000 mile intervals...

:thumb

If I need to remove a little oil from my engine I just remove the fiiler cap and run the engine until it looks like the right amount came out.
Easy peasy.

The rubber ring could have been tightened too tight and can tear up when untightening as mine was and did by some one else, but that's a great idea other wise, have done that with cars and trucks, I've also used a magnetized oil plug that stays attached to the bottom of the motor but can be a bit difficult to rethread with oil coming out, still manageable if you want to say you've done it.

Back