Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle cover advice

EZ-Touring Traveller Half here too. MADE IN THE USA.

Quote Originally Posted by DBCasey View Post
    For those of you with the EZ Touring cover, do you have the Traveler (half cover) or Wanderer (full cover)?

I saw them (EZ Touring) at the Rally but never got over to speak to them. Shame on me.

DC
    Traveler Half Cover.

Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    I use the Nelson Riggs Half-cover and like it, but, like Lee's experience, all of these (the ones I've tried at least) appear to allow a lot of condensation to form underneath the cover, especially if the bike is still fairly warm when you put the cover on.

There was a company selling a very minimalist cover, virtually just material stretched between the handlebars and the front of the top case, but I can't recall their name. Does anyone know them and their website? Just thinking that I should have looked at them, but got tied up with so many other distractions. ;-)
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - MOA Charter Club #097, BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: '14 R1200RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

If it helps, here are 2 photos I took yesterday of the Traveller "X" 1/2 cover on my '09RT with side and top cases....
    Name:  IMG_0468.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  77.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0469.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  76.4 KB
    2009 R1200RT, 2005 R1200C Montauk (The elusive Piedmont Red & Silver "350" commemorative model); and 2002 R1200C Montana
    Moderator of www.Chromeheads.org

EZ Touring Traveller
    One Life. Live it !
    2017 White R1200RT

In 1999 and 2003 I used a half-cover during the Iron Butt Rally at motels because I left GPS and radar detector devices on the bike. Otherwise - never. What are covers accomplishing?? I never figured that out. If rain is the problem, I'd buy an SUV.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I like to use a cover while traveling to keep people from messing around with my bike. I have the Nelson-Rigg Deluxe 2X for my 2010 RT with the large top case. Fits great and easy to use.

I also like a half cover mostly to keep people away from my bike.
    2012 RT w/o top box.
    Dowco 26014-00 Guardian Traveler Half Cover, Gray - Cruisers and Touring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lee
    ATGATT
    "I never worry about getting lost.
    I just change where I'm headed"

Years ago, I bought an EZ-Touring Traveller for my 2004 K1200RS. I kept it when I sold the bike and used it again on my 2013 K1300S. Unfortunately, it was too small for my '16 R1200GSA, so it stayed with the bike and a new Traveller XT is in my near future. Won't even consider other brands!
    Fastman
    '86 R65, '96 R1100RS, '04 K1200RS, '13 K1300S 30th Anniversary - SOLD
    '16 R1200GSA
    The most notable thing you can leave for posterity is your name...signed Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by DBCasey View Post
    I've got a 2011 RT with a topcase and factory radio antenna.

I'm looking for options for a packable cover. So far, the ones I've found were: E-Z Touring, Geza (!!$$!!) and Nelson Rigg.

I think I only need a half cover. I'll probably only use it for overnight parking and if I'm caught parked in a rain storm.

I'd appreciate any info/advice/other brands you could provide.

Thank you in advance!
    Daryl
    FWIW, I am on my fifth cover in less than 5 years. I used the cover nearly every day whether the bike is in my garage or in the parking lot at the office. When parked at the office it is exposed to relentless sun for 8-10 hours with the occasional rain shower.

The first two were Nelson Rigg, one was a half cover and the other a full. Both of these failed, eventually degrading to where large tears appeared while handling e.g. putting the cover on the bike one day.

The second two were EZ-Touring, great folks there. I went with the wanderer, which lasted just short of a year and failed in a similar way to the others and the company replaced it under warranty. The second time the cover lasted about 6 months and the elastic along the bottom failed basically making the cover appear like a bright yellow circus tent.

Each time I researched covers I kept coming across the Geza cover but passed it up because of the high price. After my experience with other, less expensive options I decided to try the costlier one and I have no regrets. The construction of this cover is top rate and how it secures to the bike is far superior. The fabric is likely to last a very long time, I have had it about 6 months and it still works/performs as new. This cover is just as portable as the EZ-Touring, I actually use the cover bag from one of them for this cover when I am transporting/storing it.

I hope this helps.

Aloha.

Scot

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ride View Post
    Each time I researched covers I kept coming across the Geza cover but passed it up because of the high price. After my experience with other, less expensive options I decided to try the costlier one and I have no regrets. The construction of this cover is top rate and how it secures to the bike is far superior. The fabric is likely to last a very long time, I have had it about 6 months and it still works/performs as new. This cover is just as portable as the EZ-Touring, I actually use the cover bag from one of them for this cover when I am transporting/storing it.
    This is good to know. I had taken for granted the Geza covers would pack a lot larger than EZ.

Which fabric did you choose? http://www.gezagear.com/pricefabric.htm
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    In 1999 and 2003 I used a half-cover during the Iron Butt Rally at motels because I left GPS and radar detector devices on the bike. Otherwise - never. What are covers accomplishing?? I never figured that out. If rain is the problem, I'd buy an SUV.
    What do my half-covers accomplish?

Protection from bird s#$%, fading of colors, UV deterioration of plastics (especially on sensitive screens), unwarranted curiousity, tampering with switches, vandalism, pine needles and tree sap, rain pouring into areas of questionable water-proofing, slows down the hail, theft deterrence (a thief draws a lot of attention tearing off the cover and likely avoids that bike!), rusting and corrosion, etc.

To each their own, but for me, a half cover at the end of a day's touring is automatic.
    Last edited by greenwald; 10-28-2016 at 01:27 AM.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF Lead RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter/ATV Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Track

I've used WEB motorcycle half-cover for years and years on bikes ranging from Honda VFR to KLR to GS/A.

I've used them when commuting to keep sun off of saddle as well as touring.

Now, I just leave the GSA out naked when I tour and save the pannier space for other items than a cover. To each his/her own.

I have the AeroStitch cover and am very pleased with it. It packs into a sewn-on pocket so you don't have a bag to keep up with. I only use it when staying in motels while traveling. It cinches down really well too. I just feel better about the bike being covered when I can't see it. I figure it might discourage someone from doodling around with controls, etc. if they have to untie and lift a cover. However, they will melt if someone thumps a cigarette onto it , otherwise, it is a great cover. It is easy & quick to pack up and measures about 6X6 inches.
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    This is good to know. I had taken for granted the Geza covers would pack a lot larger than EZ.

Which fabric did you choose? http://www.gezagear.com/pricefabric.htm
    I chose the Elite Plus Series.