• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Motorcycle cover advice

In 1999 and 2003 I used a half-cover during the Iron Butt Rally at motels because I left GPS and radar detector devices on the bike. Otherwise - never. What are covers accomplishing?? I never figured that out. If rain is the problem, I'd buy an SUV.

I like to use a cover while traveling to keep people from messing around with my bike. I have the Nelson-Rigg Deluxe 2X for my 2010 RT with the large top case. Fits great and easy to use.

I also like a half cover mostly to keep people away from my bike.
2012 RT w/o top box.
Dowco 26014-00 Guardian Traveler Half Cover, Gray - Cruisers and Touring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Years ago, I bought an EZ-Touring Traveller for my 2004 K1200RS. I kept it when I sold the bike and used it again on my 2013 K1300S. Unfortunately, it was too small for my '16 R1200GSA, so it stayed with the bike and a new Traveller XT is in my near future. Won't even consider other brands!

I've got a 2011 RT with a topcase and factory radio antenna.

I'm looking for options for a packable cover. So far, the ones I've found were: E-Z Touring, Geza (!!$$!!) and Nelson Rigg.

I think I only need a half cover. I'll probably only use it for overnight parking and if I'm caught parked in a rain storm.

I'd appreciate any info/advice/other brands you could provide.

Thank you in advance!
Daryl

FWIW, I am on my fifth cover in less than 5 years. I used the cover nearly every day whether the bike is in my garage or in the parking lot at the office. When parked at the office it is exposed to relentless sun for 8-10 hours with the occasional rain shower.

The first two were Nelson Rigg, one was a half cover and the other a full. Both of these failed, eventually degrading to where large tears appeared while handling e.g. putting the cover on the bike one day.

The second two were EZ-Touring, great folks there. I went with the wanderer, which lasted just short of a year and failed in a similar way to the others and the company replaced it under warranty. The second time the cover lasted about 6 months and the elastic along the bottom failed basically making the cover appear like a bright yellow circus tent.

Each time I researched covers I kept coming across the Geza cover but passed it up because of the high price. After my experience with other, less expensive options I decided to try the costlier one and I have no regrets. The construction of this cover is top rate and how it secures to the bike is far superior. The fabric is likely to last a very long time, I have had it about 6 months and it still works/performs as new. This cover is just as portable as the EZ-Touring, I actually use the cover bag from one of them for this cover when I am transporting/storing it.

I hope this helps.

Aloha.

Scot

Each time I researched covers I kept coming across the Geza cover but passed it up because of the high price. After my experience with other, less expensive options I decided to try the costlier one and I have no regrets. The construction of this cover is top rate and how it secures to the bike is far superior. The fabric is likely to last a very long time, I have had it about 6 months and it still works/performs as new. This cover is just as portable as the EZ-Touring, I actually use the cover bag from one of them for this cover when I am transporting/storing it.

This is good to know. I had taken for granted the Geza covers would pack a lot larger than EZ.

Which fabric did you choose? http://www.gezagear.com/pricefabric.htm

In 1999 and 2003 I used a half-cover during the Iron Butt Rally at motels because I left GPS and radar detector devices on the bike. Otherwise - never. What are covers accomplishing?? I never figured that out. If rain is the problem, I'd buy an SUV.

What do my half-covers accomplish?

Protection from bird s#$%, fading of colors, UV deterioration of plastics (especially on sensitive screens), unwarranted curiousity, tampering with switches, vandalism, pine needles and tree sap, rain pouring into areas of questionable water-proofing, slows down the hail, theft deterrence (a thief draws a lot of attention tearing off the cover and likely avoids that bike!), rusting and corrosion, etc.

To each their own, but for me, a half cover at the end of a day's touring is automatic. :thumb

Last edited:
I've used WEB motorcycle half-cover for years and years on bikes ranging from Honda VFR to KLR to GS/A.

I've used them when commuting to keep sun off of saddle as well as touring.

Now, I just leave the GSA out naked when I tour and save the pannier space for other items than a cover. To each his/her own.

I have the AeroStitch cover and am very pleased with it. It packs into a sewn-on pocket so you don't have a bag to keep up with. I only use it when staying in motels while traveling. It cinches down really well too. I just feel better about the bike being covered when I can't see it. I figure it might discourage someone from doodling around with controls, etc. if they have to untie and lift a cover. However, they will melt if someone thumps a cigarette onto it :banghead, otherwise, it is a great cover. It is easy & quick to pack up and measures about 6X6 inches.

I see there was one mention of Dowco. I have a handful of Dowco covers, no packable traveling covers, but big (X-LG) and medium sized ones. I got into them after reading rave reviews about Dowco's customer service.

EZ very useful

Attachments

• IMG-20120531-00075.jpg
    IMG-20120531-00075.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 546
I have the cover made by BMW. It has an expandable section for when the top box is on the bike. When the box is not in use the extra material is secured by a zipper.
My bike gets the sun only in the morning. Twice I've had the cover tear when the material just seemed to lose its strength. Luckily, it was covered by a two year warranty and BMW replaced both times. Both times the tears occurred after about a year of use. Both times the tears were on the side of the cover that's out of the sun, so it wasn't due to UV damage.

My daughter has a cover made by Sealskin. It's over a year old now, and except for the dirt/dust that's landed on it, it feels and looks like new. When my cover gives up again, I'll probably replace it with one made by this company.

Both of these covers are fairly bulky, and would not be my first choice for traveling.

Covers

It's nice to have bike covered, it's nice to have the storage space the cover takes when not using. The covers cost $20 to $100+ ? It just looks like another thing the drug addicts can or will steal and sell or trade to get more drugs.

Last edited:
I have the AeroStitch cover and am very pleased with it. It packs into a sewn-on pocket so you don't have a bag to keep up with. I only use it when staying in motels while traveling. It cinches down really well too. I just feel better about the bike being covered when I can't see it. I figure it might discourage someone from doodling around with controls, etc. if they have to untie and lift a cover. It is easy & quick to pack up and measures about 6X6 inches.

+1

Cyclegear have them on sale pretty often $ 39 for waterproof, very good for the price and durabilaty you can get 3 for same price AS BMW !

I second the cyclegear covers. Mine has been through 3 seasons, and plenty of storms... and even one nosy raccoon walking around on it.. at least I think from the tracks. Anyway, for like $30 bucks they wear well, and cover my bike with all the luggage, and drybag on the back seat.

Back