Thread: Inversion Table

Inversion Table

Been having some lower back and neck problems, fingers want to go numb when riding. Started going back to the chiropractor and things are getting better. I have talked to two chiropractors and both say the inversion table is bad, I've talked to a couple people that use the table on a regular basis and they love it. So which is it, bad for me or bad for the chiropractor's business.

Quote Originally Posted by kskraye View Post
    Been having some lower back and neck problems, fingers want to go numb when riding. Started going back to the chiropractor and things are getting better. I have talked to two chiropractors and both say the inversion table is bad, I've talked to a couple people that use the table on a regular basis and they love it. So which is it, bad for me or bad for the chiropractor's business.
    In my book, bad for the chiro. But then, I'm not a doctor, didn't play one on TV, etc. I fought symptoms similar to yours for 10 years using massive doses of Ibu and rounds of inversion and cervical traction, before having surgery on my neck to fix the disc/spur/stenosis issues at the root of the problem. Were I you, I'd bypass the chiros and get a nerve conductivity test and an MRI of your neck to show to a neurosurgeon. That numbness/pain in arm and hand is telling... and I don't miss it a bit.

But, as I said, I'm no doctor.

Good luck,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST -- 1988 R100GS "Bee"-- 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C -- 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Lemme see, C5-C4 super narrow, makes my arms/hands go numb. L4-L5, disc not existent and then there is my favorite, L5-S1, facets bone on bone, super narrowing. I love when my legs go to sleep. "Really Occifer, I have a problem with my back. Seriously, I'm sober! You do that walk toe to heel test first and see how well you do!"

All thanks to Arhur and being an HD Mechanic.

Bone head that I can be, too old for surgery and now too old for injections. Damn. Nobody told me getting old was going to be tougher than playing hockey and then of course, the bald spot.

I got a super, really out there chiro. He takes care of me.

Tried the acupuncture route, was OK. Tried the table, it was OK but they should put a warning on it, "don't drink beers, don't go beering with your buddies and don't come after beer o'clock".

TENS does help some but combination of my Chiro and lots of stretching and exercise, I can dance a jig like the short, fat, old, bald guy that I am and the chicks dig it.
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case, my baby, fast, fun)
    3xR90/6, two just sold, one for a sidecar. 1983 K100RS (Cafe now)
    Very Rough R80RT. 1987 K1100RS (freaking hooped I think)

My wife and I both have back issues. I can tell you that we both feel better after using our inversion table. They were recommended to us by both actual back doctors (you know, MDs) and chiropractors.

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    In my book, bad for the chiro. But then, I'm not a doctor, didn't play one on TV, etc. I fought symptoms similar to yours for 10 years using massive doses of Ibu and rounds of inversion and cervical traction, before having surgery on my neck to fix the disc/spur/stenosis issues at the root of the problem. Were I you, I'd bypass the chiros and get a nerve conductivity test and an MRI of your neck to show to a neurosurgeon. That numbness/pain in arm and hand is telling... and I don't miss it a bit.

But, as I said, I'm no doctor.

Good luck,
    DG
    Plus1 on this. See a Neuro Dr. and find out what's going on. I had a partial disc removal (ruptured disc) 16 years ago, also had a few bulging discs noted at the time. Over the years there is most likely more bulging, I can feel it when the spine is compressed (think jumping off the back of a truck). Regular core strengthening exercise has been the most effective treatment. Find out what your issues are and get the Dr.'s advice on how to proceed.
    My opinion? Inversion table 'probably' wouldn't hurt and may provide temporary relief by stretching the spine to relieve pressure on the nerves. Similar to what the Chiro does, and just a s temporary!
    Disclaimer: I'm not a Dr. and don't play one on the internet!
    Good luck, nerve pain sucks!

I use one and I think it helps......

Have one, tried it for a bit...it did help but like chiropractor, & acupuncture, it is IMO temporary . I just got tired of HAVING to do all of them on a schedule. That told me it is like bailing water on the Titanic.

Looking into Stem-Cell procedure(s) My problem is [all arthritis] low/mid back, hips, shoulder....But lately I too am experiencing what i think is some nerve 'pinching' , hand & foot tingles & twitches,... likely due to the above ? But as has been said....I'm no doctor either.
    Ron Prior {AMA member ,MOA member}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

Out There Somewhere ricochetrider's Avatar
    A buddy of mine has a back that is all torn up and he loves his inversion table.
    Hands gong numb could mean many things.

GOT INSURANCE? if so, USE IT. See a Neuro doc and get it sorted. Sooner is better than later.
    Good luck!
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

I have one, and feel it really helps!
    Martin. BMW MOA Ambassador.17748
    BMW MOA Charter, Life member.
    Valley BMW Riders. British Columbia.