• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New law on Lane Sharing / Splitting .. how do you read this?

A proposed lane splitting law for Montana died in committee in the legislature for the second year in a row. Having a lane splitting law in Montana makes about as much sense as a screen door on a submarine. :scratch

While there are not the kind of traffic jams on the freeway in Montana that one finds regularly in Los Angeles or other large, densely populated cities, there are many instances where filtering up to the front of traffic at a light, a special kind of lane sharing, could occur. These cars are stopped, it's not possible for them to change lanes (usually) and so filtering is much safer than doing it when traffic is moving, as lane sharing is usually thought of. I think such a law in any state, is a good idea. It would allow bikes, most of which accelerate faster than most cars to get out in front of them, so there would be less chance of a car lane changing into them. And it would free up traffic since there's one less vehicle in the line at the light. It's been done in much of Europe for ages.

These forums have many first–person stories about getting rear–ended while stopped at the end of a line of cars at a traffic signal. Allowing filtering would mean that the bike wasn't hanging out at the end of such a line, and would all but eliminate such accidents.

A proposed lane splitting law for Montana died in committee in the legislature for the second year in a row. Having a lane splitting law in Montana makes about as much sense as a screen door on a submarine. :scratch

Loved your analogy! :thumb

As we are in the throes of winter here in the Midwest, I have several screen doors currently going unused - could UPS them to you overnight if such a law does pass?! :dance

I think this years offering in the legislature in TX will also fade away. It would take years before folks got it like they do in CA as just trying to maintain a lane is a challenge for many in the big cities .Just do not see it happening from years of sharing space in Houston,Austin and San Antonio...and passing thru DFW on many occasions.

Filtering to the front at signals or road construction stoppage would be nice...for one or two bikes at a time. Having had flagmen and women signal us to the front in western states is often a grateful treat as you pass the line of RV's and quickly lose them in the rearview.

Watching the circus in Malibu every rush to the next light last spring was quite entertaining.I was on my double wide GSA that trip and just watched.On my K12S, I played well.
What I would not enjoy, would be a group of 30 cruisers who all split to the front when you know only about five of them will clear the traffic before everyone is back to speed. In TX, that is who keeps showing up at the capitol supporting the bills...same group that despises helmet usage:banghead

Have no LE experience ,behind the badge anyways , but have stayed in a Holiday Inn a few times:jester

I was born in Monterey, CA and have lived there and down south. The downside to lane splitting is having to live where lane splitting is needed.

I think this years offering in the legislature in TX will also fade away. It would take years before folks got it like they do in CA as just trying to maintain a lane is a challenge for many in the big cities .Just do not see it happening from years of sharing space in Houston,Austin and San Antonio...and passing thru DFW on many occasions.

Filtering to the front at signals or road construction stoppage would be nice...for one or two bikes at a time. Having had flagmen and women signal us to the front in western states is often a grateful treat as you pass the line of RV's and quickly lose them in the rearview.

Watching the circus in Malibu every rush to the next light last spring was quite entertaining.I was on my double wide GSA that trip and just watched.On my K12S, I played well.
What I would not enjoy, would be a group of 30 cruisers who all split to the front when you know only about five of them will clear the traffic before everyone is back to speed. In TX, that is who keeps showing up at the capitol supporting the bills...same group that despises helmet usage:banghead

Have no LE experience ,behind the badge anyways , but have stayed in a Holiday Inn a few times:jester

That last line ("have no LE experience, behind the badge anyways, ...") cracked me up. LOL

Good post. I too have been 'prioritized' by flaggers while on I-70 in Colorado - nice to 'go to the head of the class' on a bike when you have an entire wagon train of Winnebago's. But scary to hand that baton to each and every rider I've observed. Proper skills and responsible riding are not universal concepts.

As for "No LE experience,,,", relax. Most top-shelf authorities in motorcycle traffic safety (i.e. I spoke face-to-face with Lee Parks Friday in Chicago at the IMS) are not law enforcement, and not every person who carried a badge is a motorcycle traffic expert. :whistle

.......Filtering to the front at signals or road construction stoppage would be nice...for one or two bikes at a time. Having had flagmen and women signal us to the front in western states is often a grateful treat as you pass the line of RV's and quickly lose them in the rearview.

On our first ride from AK to the states Annie had less than 1000 miles of riding experience. She preferred to be last in line when going through the numerous, lengthy and muddy construction zones, because she didn't want to be pushed along by a semi in a slimy stretch of road. At most stops the flag person would signal for us to come forward and we would wave them off and pull to the side to allow the other traffic to go by. At one construction zone, however, the woman with the flag was determined that we were to come to the front. After we waved her off, she persisted in calling us to the front and eventually walked back to us and demanded that we move to the front. She told us we were violating her legal order and that the RCMP would ticket us. Her demands had zero impact on Annie and we stayed put. The flagger became apoplectic with rage, but eventually had to go back to her station because the pilot car was waiting. It probably did not help that I took a picture of her wildly gesticulating at Annie. I sometimes wonder if there is an active BOLO for us in the Yukon.

I think this years offering in the legislature in TX will also fade away. It would take years before folks got it like they do in CA

Passing such a new law in states where lane sharing is not legal should involve a great deal of education of the driving public. PSA's on TV and radio, billboards (both print and electronic), printed signs, print articles, mailings included with DMV registration renewals, etc., need to be done. A search on YouTube will show that there is no shortage of self appointed enforcers of 'no lane sharing' laws, sometimes causing serious injury to motorcyclists. Heck, sometimes they crowd bikers who are passing legally in their own lanes!

as just trying to maintain a lane is a challenge for many in the big cities .

Lane sharing, like riding quickly in the twisties, is not for everyone. "Legal" does not mean 'mandatory.'

Just do not see it happening from years of sharing space in Houston,Austin and San Antonio...and passing thru DFW on many occasions.

I predict that, now that CA has passed the law, others will follow. It will probably take several years and several tries at passing the legislation, before people get used to the idea and educated to the fact that it speeds their arrival as well as that of the biker.

What I would not enjoy, would be a group of 30 cruisers who all split to the front when you know only about five of them will clear the traffic before everyone is back to speed.

In my 50+ years of riding and driving, virtually all of it done in CA, where lane sharing has been legal for my entire riding history, I've never once seen anything like this happen. People who ride in groups that large just don't lane share, even in very slow traffic. While it's permitted by law, ride leaders just don't do it. Filtering to the front in traffic stopped at a light, is usually done by solo riders or very small groups. Such fears, as this one, usually come from those who ride where lane sharing is not legal, so they have no experience with it, only theory and fears that have no basis in fact.

In TX, that is who keeps showing up at the capitol supporting the bills...same group that despises helmet usage

Not all who oppose helmet laws "despise helmet usage." In my case, I think that it should be an individual choice, not one forced on riders by the government. I think that the less government intrusion on our lives, the better off we are.

Have no LE experience ,behind the badge anyways , but have stayed in a Holiday Inn a few times

Wearing a badge does not imbue the carrier with any special knowledge of motorcycle traffic laws. But usually, it makes one pay attention to detail and to the responsibility to the public to make accurate statements about the law. Saying that "tips and guidelines" are "law" is a disservice to the public and a failure of those responsibilities.

Good post. I too have been 'prioritized' by flaggers while on I-70 in Colorado – nice to 'go to the head of the class' on a bike when you have an entire wagon train of Winnebago's.

How do you reconcile this statement while seeming to be intent on denying it to others on an every–day basis? Replace "wagon train of Winnebago's" with 'slow moving vehicles stuck in traffic (or at a traffic signal)' and you have the same situation as lane sharing.

But scary to hand that baton to each and every rider I've observed. Proper skills and responsible riding are not universal concepts.

As I've written, lane sharing, like riding twisty roads quickly, is not for everyone. Yet, there is no limitation based on time in the saddle or rider skill, that keeps any biker off those roads. Interesting double standard you seem to have.

As for "No LE experience,,,", relax. Most top-shelf authorities in motorcycle traffic safety (i.e. I spoke face-to-face with Lee Parks Friday in Chicago at the IMS) are not law enforcement,

Coincidentally, I too spoke to Lee "face to face" when the IMS show was in Los Angeles (actually Long Beach). He took over teaching the BRC (Basic Rider's Course) in CA when the MSF did not want input on the classes from the CHP. MSF left CA. Lee Parks took it over. The material the CHP wanted in the classes, is in them. Lee will probably be one of those consulted as to the details of the new lane sharing law here.

and not every person who carried a badge is a motorcycle traffic expert.

It doesn’t take "a motorcycle traffic expert" to do a bit of research and find out what a law says. Having ridden for 50+ years where lane sharing is legal, coupled with 30 years of LE, seeing and taking many traffic accident reports, does give me a bit of knowledge on that topic. Your motorcycle credentials are quite impressive, but your lack of experience in riding where lane sharing is legal cuts a wide swath in it. It's a bit like being a math major but never studying geometry. Your opinion on this is just theory.

But change is difficult and I understand why some are having problems with this.

I'm not going to quote quotes as I mentioned this topic has been ying-yanged to the proverbial beating of a dead horse many times.

My riding started in Houston, have travelled thru and played in heavy traffic across the lower 48 and realized how different drivers and riders are in every state. Had many drivers open doors, move over and self police the fast lane enough to get that as well.
Have family in SoCal, been there enough times to understand the dynamics. Have many cruiser friends who do envision their chance to do what I stated in my filtering scenario...and witnessed a very large group doing just that on the PCH passing thru Malibu thru at least four signals so I'll believe some think it's cool to do that.

The self driving car dynamic is fairly valid at this point and not everything that rolls in CA drives legislation elsewhere...Recreational pot just doesn't seem to be headed our way anytime soon from the rants of our current folks in charge:groovy

Having been keeping up with most of the TX bill filings and chit chat for many years, I can assure you I understand the politics of motorcycle and bicycle related reasons and arguments. Freedom of choice sometimes needs a little help because the "It won't happen to me " are exactly who it happens to. For some reason, seat belts come to mind here:scratch

I wore helmets, not worn helmets, worn helmets because of the back and forth of the laws years ago...now I am older and wiser and will ride accordingly. I wore a jean vest and hung with a different crowd in my twenties...I have heard it all.

And on skill levels and experience, some folks do what peer pressure drives them to do and they should learn how their bikes and their brain reacts to traffic, twisty roads, and high speed traveling amongst bigger vehicles before jumping in full bore. Watching inexperienced riders denying countersteering in a curve and straddling the double yellow as they make a five point turn attempt is just friggin scary ...but it doesn't stop them as you mentioned.

I was trying to lighten the tone with my Holiday Inn quip...as these threads go personal way too often and needing to put my moderator hat on and take me away from a chance to ride makes me sad to say the least.
It's OK we disagree and share opinions...trying to herd or correct the rest of us is futile in spite of perceived good intentions

Headed out for a long Airhead ride today...be cool:wave

I'm not going to quote quotes as I mentioned this topic has been ying-yanged to the proverbial beating of a dead horse many times.

My riding started in Houston, have travelled thru and played in heavy traffic across the lower 48 and realized how different drivers and riders are in every state. Had many drivers open doors, move over and self police the fast lane enough to get that as well.
Have family in SoCal, been there enough times to understand the dynamics. Have many cruiser friends who do envision their chance to do what I stated in my filtering scenario...and witnessed a very large group doing just that on the PCH passing thru Malibu thru at least four signals so I'll believe some think it's cool to do that.

The self driving car dynamic is fairly valid at this point and not everything that rolls in CA drives legislation elsewhere...Recreational pot just doesn't seem to be headed our way anytime soon from the rants of our current folks in charge:groovy

Having been keeping up with most of the TX bill filings and chit chat for many years, I can assure you I understand the politics of motorcycle and bicycle related reasons and arguments. Freedom of choice sometimes needs a little help because the "It won't happen to me " are exactly who it happens to. For some reason, seat belts come to mind here:scratch

I wore helmets, not worn helmets, worn helmets because of the back and forth of the laws years ago...now I am older and wiser and will ride accordingly. I wore a jean vest and hung with a different crowd in my twenties...I have heard it all.

And on skill levels and experience, some folks do what peer pressure drives them to do and they should learn how their bikes and their brain reacts to traffic, twisty roads, and high speed traveling amongst bigger vehicles before jumping in full bore. Watching inexperienced riders denying countersteering in a curve and straddling the double yellow as they make a five point turn attempt is just friggin scary ...but it doesn't stop them as you mentioned.

I was trying to lighten the tone with my Holiday Inn quip...as these threads go personal way too often and needing to put my moderator hat on and take me away from a chance to ride makes me sad to say the least.
It's OK we disagree and share opinions...trying to herd or correct the rest of us is futile in spite of perceived good intentions

Headed out for a long Airhead ride today...be cool:wave

Totally agree.

Any motorcyclist is welcome to visit Wisconsin and after touring our state, is completely entitled to have an opinion on our traffic flow, traffic laws, guidelines, enforcement and so forth.

No one has to live here to form cognitive thoughts about those issues, or hold firm to what they think.

With that, I'll join Steve (figuratively - he's out on his '74/6 right now in far better weather than I enjoy) and head off to the race track (Road America) to perform some of my administrative duties as Lead RiderCoach of the motorcycle training program.

Might not sound like fun to many, but I enjoy the challenges.

Adios. :bolt

Last edited:
I'm kinda saddened by the direction this thread turned.... at least California is acknowledging legal lane splitting with Police recommendations.

Now related but off topic.. As for where I'm currently living... the rules are there are no rules... you see a gap you go for it.. if you make eye contact then you've given up your right of way.... first into the round about wins.. or the first to chicken out gives up the right of way... there is no que or merging, just rush to the front and jam your car in.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but you have to adapt to local driving habits. Legal or not. Even if they are illegal local LE doesn't enforce it. Here, lane splitting is normal... for cars, motorcycles, bicycles and random pedestrians just walking out into traffic. It's a way of life, and everyone does it or has grown up around it. They expect it to happen, so at least cage drivers tend to be more aware of bikes and scooters splitting lanes.

This collage pic is from my old bike, not the beemer (though you'd be amazed on what and how the locals do with big beasts), but an example of what it is like first hand navigating the crazy...

Attachments

• collage.jpg
    collage.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 96
Lane splitting/lane sharing is the rule rather than the exception in much of the world right now. In some countries it's relatively civilized, in some it's TRULY a free–for–all, much worse than the one described by another poster here, as evidenced by the video of "Traffic in Palermo" that jpl77 posted.

But when this is discussed on these forums, people who should know better, get upset and lose the ability to have a polite, professional discussion about it.

That doesn't change the fact that many times, most of us have seen cars pulled to the side of the road with drivers exchanging information because someone didn't stop in time to prevent them from running into the rear end of another car. Put a motorcycle in, as the struck vehicle, and there's a good chance we're talking about a trip to the hospital. Add in the fact that nowadays, we're seeing a much higher percentage of drivers distracted by their devices and staying in traffic, rather than lane sharing, becomes more problematic.

I think that lane sharing, when done within intelligent guidelines is far safer than staying in traffic when it's moving slowly or is bumper to bumper.

The most recent study that I've seen comes from the Safe Transportation Research & Education Center, University of California, Berkeley, and was done in 2015. They studied almost 6,000 motorcycle accidents. About 1,000 of there were LSM (lane splitting motorcyclists). Here's a comment from the Abstract.
Lane-splitting appears to be a relatively safe motorcycle riding strategy if done in traffic moving at 50 MPH or less and if motorcyclists do not exceed the speed of other vehicles by more than 15 MPH. A significant number of motorcyclists lane-split in fast-moving traffic or at excessive speed differentials. These riders could lower their risk of injury by restricting the environments in which they lane-split and by reducing their speed differential when they do choose to lanesplit. [Emphasis is mine]
http://www.ots.ca.gov/pdf/Publications/Motorcycle-Lane-Splitting-and-Safety-2015.pdf

For those opposed to lane sharing, I suggest a read of the study. It might open a few eyes. It's fairly short, the "Results" section takes only 4 pages.

For those who don't like reading such things, highlights of the study were published in several of the popular motorcycle magazines. Here's a link to one of them. http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/06/02/ama-study-finds-lane-splitting-increases-rider-saftey

All the expertise in the world, means nothing when the actual facts of the accidents are analyzed .

In these discussions, I never think that I'm going to change the minds of those against whom I'm debating. Often they have their minds made up and don't want to be confused with the facts. But there are many on the fence, and it's for those folks that I spend my time.

Last edited:
We have the lane splitting/sharing law currently working in California. Some more data will be collected over the next few years. We will get a chance to see what happens? For now, the fight is over for those that think it is great and for those that don't like it. I live in California and personally don't do a lot of lane splitting. It just depends on the situation. Mostly it is my lack of skill and good judgement while on two wheels that stops me. Where I think it is unsafe to pass others do safely. Were they good or just lucky? If I have to get into heavy traffic, I prefer more lug nuts. For me, motorcycle riding in stop and go traffic is not fun! I just avoid it when ever possible. My choice. I'm retired. I got more time than money..........

Last edited:

First of all, a 'shout-out' to the Moderators. They put up with a lot, and now that certain rhetoric has been toned down (thank you), this thread survives, as it should. Perhaps it can still flourish.

I'm sure many operators in CA are curious how to take this new law out for a spin, and yet abide by its parameters. Continue to comment or solicit other opinions - just remember, short of physics, nearly everything in life is an opinion - even mine.

Beemerdood did all of us a great service by referencing the UC-Berkeley study, as it is a wealth of data. We who sit on MoSac here in WI (Motorcycle Safety Advisory Committee) report to our Governor and have copies of the study (from May 29th, 2015) to peruse its contents. Though 32 pages in length, it's really 19 pages of discussion followed by 19 tables of information. This information includes such a wide variety of variables, it wouldn't pay to list them all here - do as Beemerdood suggested and look at the study itself.

While the authors (3 individuals from UC-Berkeley) lean to endorsing lane-splitting from a perspective of less severity of injury, the study does raise some red flags insomuch as of the collisions studied (5,969) involve 17% (997) lane-splitting accidents. In my little 'universe of motorcycle traffic safety,' that's too high.

It also reported that among the driving public in CA, disapproval was significant, which PSA's will have to address in the future, if lane-splitting is to thrive there, sharing the roads with those same respondents. 61% strongly disapproved of the practice, with an additional 48% believing it illegal or unsure of its legality. Now that it is the 'law of the land' in CA, the "48%" could be considered essentially nullified.

When looking at the data, I could not help but recall one of my favorite quotes from Mark Twain: "There are lies, there are damned lies, and then there are statistics!"

Examine information at your disposal, recognize that data selectively used to support an opinion does not equal 'facts,' and keep the rest of us informed as to how this practice matures under the statutory requirements (and guidelines) of AB51.

Ride safe, ride often, and if you dare, ride skinny between traffic. :dance

The fact that Berkeley conducted the study kinda makes me laugh out loud :lol.

I know what you mean. :dance

Spent a week out there a couple of months ago - strange place, strange people.

But all kidding aside, the UC-Berkeley study was done by a gentleman with a PhD, and two research assistants, one of whom has a Masters Degree. They collected a voluminous amount of data to support their opinions. :type

I spent seven years as faculty at two universities, four as a department chair and then 12 years as a Associate Vice Chancellor. PhD.s do not always mean as much as one would hope. Particularly in the humanities and social sciences.

I spent seven years as faculty at two universities, four as a department chair and then 12 years as a Associate Vice Chancellor. PhD.s do not always mean as much as one would hope. Particularly in the humanities and social sciences.

Don't disagree. I was a Field Training Officer on my department for 4 years, and used to comment to my wife that I'd just spent another 8-hr. day with a "book-smart/street-stupid" college grad with a BA in Criminal Justice.

Well aware that titles and prefix letters and rank don't always equate with competence, and how education and intelligence are not automatically synonymous.

Just giving the paper's author the benefit of the doubt, until he gives me a compelling reason to downgrade my confidence in him.

Thanks for all you did. Cops, firefighters and our military get that verbal 'pat on the back' all the time, but academics play a critical role in the success of our nation as well. :thumb

Last edited:
Back