• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

So what is the weather like in Salt Lake in July ???

Yeah, but seeing snow way up on the peaks in the distance makes it feel cooler:whistle

As mentioned, SLC area is dry heat.

But the sun when stationary can be a bit much, find some shade in the heat of the afternoon and early evening. :drink

Rides, well if you go out to see the Salt Flats, do it in the morning, it will be HOT. On the other hand, the Mtn routes, be prepared for some very cool mornings, still could be seeing low 40's or high 30's, but the day warms up quite nicely.

Myself I commute in the early dark hours and not unusual to have my vented jacket with the heated liner turned on low in the mornings. then riding home in the upper 90's to low 100's. As long as I am moving, I do not notice the heat at all behind a K1300GT with a rather large aftermarket windshield and winglets.

Have plenty of hydration and you should be ok.

Rain, tends to miss the valleys, but again, the Mtns, it can become wet at a moment notice.

As mentioned, SLC area is dry heat.

But the sun when stationary can be a bit much, find some shade in the heat of the afternoon and early evening. :drink

Rides, well if you go out to see the Salt Flats, do it in the morning, it will be HOT. On the other hand, the Mtn routes, be prepared for some very cool mornings, still could be seeing low 40's or high 30's, but the day warms up quite nicely.

Have plenty of hydration and you should be ok.

Rain, tends to miss the valleys, but again, the Mtns, it can become wet at a moment notice.

Yup, what he said. And, it's true about the dry heat; I moved here 30 yrs ago from the upper Midwest and now, the one-two punch of heat AND humidity makes it intolerable for me to return there in the summer. The St. Paul rally would have done me in but for the saving grace of a bed at my brother's place in Mendota Hts. The secrets to an enjoyable time anywhere in the southwest are shade, hydration, and altitude. The more you find of each the better. If the SLC fairgrounds gets too warm for you, in 20 minutes or less you can be at altitude in the Wasatch mountains--enjoying the great roads and scenery, lounging by a lake or reservoir, or taking a ski lift ride to the top of the alpine slide. But take a jacket along--it can get cold up there really quickly!
:)

Best,
DG

For us lizards out west, 100* is a nice day. It doesn't start to get hot till 105* or so, 110*+ is almost to hot to ride.
Today was a comfortable 104* with a humidity of about 10% equal to 85* at 60% humidity.
Siesta during the heat and enjoy the morning and evening.:dance

For us lizards out west, 100* is a nice day. It doesn't start to get hot till 105* or so, 110*+ is almost to hot to ride.
Today was a comfortable 104* with a humidity of about 10% equal to 85* at 60% humidity.

Don't try that siesta in triple digits camping at a rally. I might go to SLC, but probably won't be happy. I still remember Bloomsburg and the reported several emergency room runs with our members. Triple digit temps and rallies are a disaster waiting to happen.

I've lived in deserts including the Mojave near Death Valley. 100* is hot no matter where you are. Shade and hydration are important, but the real solution is a/c or a swamp cooler. The thought of camping in SLC in July sends a chill up my spine... so to speak.

I still remember Bloomsburg ...........

I think it's official.......

We, the survivors of Bloomsburg, need to write an epic poem in the style of Tennyson or Kipling.

"on rode the 6000, into the valley of the Susquehanna....."

Last edited:
I enjoy a string of conjecture as much as the next guy, but just for fun let's throw some factual data into the mix.

Weather data for SLC Liberty Park which is close to the rally site:
http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/...y--Liberty-Park-Utah-United-States-of-America

Weather data for Park City/surrounding area, which is chock full of roads to ride, places to go, things to see if you think the day will be hot in SLC:
http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/weather.php3?s=846624

So, can it get hot in SLC in July? Sure, but in 30 miles or less you're at altitude where the max recorded July temp is a full ten degrees cooler than downtown SLC. Shade. Hydration, because you are in a dry environment regardless of temp. Altitude. Together, they are the golden triangle of life in the American southwest. :thumb

Best,
DG

I think the main issue is weather at the rally site. It's nice to know that weather is pleasant over in the mountains, but if you are in the mountains, you are not at the rally, are you?

Capture.jpg

This Google satellite view of the site shows lots of heat absorbing asphalt and very few trees for shade. I guess we need to plan to spend our days in seminars and hope the buildings all have A/C.

Not to be optimistic or positive, because it just isn't me...........but, I think we should wait until the Rally to officially complain about the Rally site selection. It could all be beautiful or another Bloomsburg. Remember, in the weeks approaching the Hamburg Rally, several folks were already calling Hamburg the next Bloomsburg, based on few long range projections.

As for me, I'm just going to sit here and wait for the nurse to hand me another one of those pills.................

As for me, I'm just going to sit here and wait for the nurse to hand me another one of those pills.................

Your joke is more on topic than you realize!

Since it's unwise for the elderly to spend all day in 100° heat, why hold a BMW rally in that heat? Haven't you paid attention lately to the age of rally attendees?

Oh wait, yeah, I'm sorry. We're all "middle aged". :ha

Haven't you paid attention lately to the age of rally attendees?

I'm too busy waiting on Mr. Glaves to write the epic poem about surviving Bloomsburg....

I mean Woodstock had that song by CSN. Certainly, we can get a poem for Bloomsburg.

Heat

It gets hot in Portland ,OR. too. Each year one week of over 95*. TOO HOT. We live longer if we stop complaining. :thumb:dance

I'm too busy waiting on Mr. Glaves to write the epic poem about surviving Bloomsburg....

I mean Woodstock had that song by CSN. Certainly, we can get a poem for Bloomsburg.

I have the two closing lines.

Riding home from that fateful cauldron, we all agreed that it could not have been hotter.
But alas, few weeks later, that infernal town was ten feet under water.

bloomsburg.jpg

I have the two closing lines.

Riding home from that fateful cauldron, we all agreed that it could not have been hotter.
But alas, few weeks later, that infernal town was ten feet under water.

bloomsburg.jpg

Water rhymes better with Hotter if you say it with a Rhode Island accent ........ Wadda and Hotta

Back