• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200RT horn replacement question on low horn

kingg

I am sure this question may have been answered already, but I am getting ready to change my 09 1200RT pancake horn over to the dual horn setup I enjoyed on my 04. My question is the Low horn part number 381 271 that people have mentioned in older posts that I can get from the dealer. I have a bead on horns from an 03 RT where the low horn is 655 881 . It looks exactly like 381 271. Can I use 655 881 as my low horn? Thank you Gary a newbie to this place

I am sure this question may have been answered already, but I am getting ready to change my 09 1200RT pancake horn over to the dual horn setup I enjoyed on my 04. My question is the Low horn part number 381 271 that people have mentioned in older posts that I can get from the dealer. I have a bead on horns from an 03 RT where the low horn is 655 881 . It looks exactly like 381 271. Can I use 655 881 as my low horn? Thank you Gary a newbie to this place
Gary - I can't speak to part numbers, but if I was in your place I'd try it and see if I liked it. The original single horn on the '09 RT is very wimpy. I replaced mine with a Stebel Nautilus air horn.

JayJay

Hi Gary - Welcome to the forums! On my now-sold 2008 R1200RT I converted to the dual horn setup. I got rid of what we generally call the "Vespa" horn, and replaced it with the dual set up.

I used the two-horn system and it was pretty darn loud, but I can't tell you what the decibel numbers are. I used the parts list from the BMW Sport Touring forum for Hexheads. Here is the listing there:

"To Convert a later model single-horn R1200RT to US model year 2005 dual-horns
61 33 8 381 271 Horn
61 33 7 655 882 Horn
46 71 7 675 209 Screw
61 33 1 459 545 Cage Nut"

As you can see, there are two part numbers for the horns. Both horns appear identical, but have two distinctly different sounds which complement each other. As I recall from my 2008 RT, the wiring harness for the dual horns was already in place, but hidden under some black fiber tape. The mounting of the horns to the frame required some banging of knuckles, as I recall, but otherwise it was a plug and play operation.

I hope it works out well for you.

JG

Here's what I bought when I did the same on my '09RT....

61338381271/61337655881 (old p/n) Low pitch 420Hz
61337655882 High pitch 510Hz
Purchased 2003 R1150RT horns off Ebay
46717675209 ISA screw $ 2.00
61331459545 Cage Nut $ 1.14

Ebay prices were MUCH better than dealer prices. Think I paid only $25.00 for both horns used. Same horns, different part numbers for a multitude of bikes. All the same horns. Sometimes just mounting brackets faced the opposite way. Easy fix.....

Same Horn

Thanks to all replies, I called Bosch and they said both Low horns were the same, in 2005 they changed the parts number was all. I bought a pair of 2003 RT horns for $22 delivered, on E Bay and they slipped right in. Did not have to buy the cage nut and screw because I utilized the one that was on the old pancake horn ! I have a real horn now!

Back