• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Engine noise

royaltyl

I have a 2016 RT with just under 13K on it. Will take it in next week for its 12K service. There is a noise emanating from the engine, it seems, that is prevalent when the engine is thoroughly warmed up, but not at all when the engine is first started cold. It sounds like a valve operating with too much clearance, a tap-tap-tap. One opinion was voiced that it is a fuel injector. Any experience out there? These engines aren't given to losing their valve clearance from what I've read. The bike runs just fine.

Last edited:
I am aware of a GSW that ate the lifters

It was a new GS water boxer with about 10,000 miles and no abuse and the lifters just wore out. Engine noise and a good diagnosis found the lifters were beat up so they were replaced and all is well now. Not my bike but the subject of a Saturday lunch conversation. Make sure you bring it in to the dealer with an "engine noise" complaint and insist they resolve it.

It was a new GS water boxer with about 10,000 miles and no abuse and the lifters just wore out. Engine noise and a good diagnosis found the lifters were beat up so they were replaced and all is well now. Not my bike but the subject of a Saturday lunch conversation. Make sure you bring it in to the dealer with an "engine noise" complaint and insist they resolve it.

Good lord whatever would have caused that? So many water boxers out there w/ miles on them now this is the first I've heard of a lifter issue.

I have a 2016 RT with just under 13K on it. Will take it in next week for its 12K service. There is a noise emanating from the engine, it seems, that is prevalent when the engine is thoroughly warmed up, but not at all when the engine is first started cold. It sounds like a valve operating with too much clearance, a tap-tap-tap. One opinion was voiced that it is a fuel injector. Any experience out there? These engines aren't given to losing their valve clearance from what I've read. The bike runs just fine.

I took delivery of my '16 RT in March and shortly noticed what I described as a 'fluttering sound' under slight load between about 3000 and 3800 rpm [obscured completely by earplugs BTW]. I wondered if it was detonation as that is what it reminded me of. Inconsistent w/ detonation is I wouldn't hear this as much w/ lower RPM. I was told by the dealer this is a characteristic particularly in RT models because of where various lifter and injector noises emanate from in WB engines and these are reflected by the fairing to the rider so become quite noticeable. At the 700m break-in service I mentioned this and asked if I could test ride a new RT, they let me, and it was even more noticeable on the new RT than my own, so I chalked it up to something w/ all RTLCs. Of note, it's improved some over time when I check by riding w/o plugs. Others have claimed Liqui Moly 5W40 racing street oil may help reduce this as well as improve shifting considerably so I'm going to try that oil and see if there's an improvement.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-seri...ens-3000-3800-rpm-under-load.html#post1523010

I know that sound and that is not what I'm hearing, which is a distinct tapping. I'm taking it in for its 12000 mile service next week; we'll see what the valve clearances are and, if they are in spec, look elsewhere. I don't think it is a problem leading to some kind of failure; I have heard the sound for quite some time and have ridden the bike hard. It hasn't changed. Maybe some backlash in the cam gears.

All eight of them? If it were one it would likely be a bad part, not hardened properly.

Back