• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Picking Up an Adventure Bike Alone

Is Skert still around? I haven't seen her in several years. She is a hoot and was inspirational for me when I was getting started. However, she jokingly told me one time that I was just too little to ride a motorcycle! :D

Watched her silence a group of snarky men some years back...I had seen her demo before and they were doubtful a woman could pick up an RT....sure got quiet:thumb

Oh, on the OP and the product, My luck it would be on the dirt side of the bike wedged against where I had it tied to a sidecase:banghead

IMO, he greatest problem with "adventure" bikes is the fact that they are overloaded. Not being heavy enough from the factory, some people empty the Touratech catalog on them and put on guards that guard the guards. Then they pack it like a mule with every item that they might even possibly need. The load is usually tall and aft. I've never seen Skert lift one of these capsized elephants.

You are not properly packed when there is nothing else that you can add, but when there is nothing else that you can leave behind. Unload it. Upright it (remember, Skert can do it). Reload it. Be more careful next time.

IMO, he greatest problem with "adventure" bikes is the fact that they are overloaded. Not being heavy enough from the factory, some people empty the Touratech catalog on them and put on guards that guard the guards. Then they pack it like a mule with every item that they might even possibly need. The load is usually tall and aft. I've never seen Skert lift one of these capsized elephants.

You are not properly packed when there is nothing else that you can add, but when there is nothing else that you can leave behind. Unload it. Upright it (remember, Skert can do it). Reload it. Be more careful next time.

I pack quite a bit on my GS; camping gear, fishing gear, cooking gear and food for several days, water, tools, safety and survival gear, etc. I don't carry anything I don't need or anything that may not be needed to manage self sufficiently alone in remote areas and what I do carry has been carefully selected for minimalism where practical. The first thing to do when the bikes goes horizontal is shut it off then do nothing. Take a pause, relax a bit, think about it, have a bit of water, maybe a snack. Now unload everything that can be taken off the bike. Usually the only thing left on is the tank bag (mine is a minimalist size) and the pannier that is on the low side (since the bike is probably resting on it). Now take another break and then get at lifting the bike by whatever means suits you and the situation. Put it all back together, ride, repeat.

A good friend of mine let her big ole BMW tip over onto the right side while in the garage . She lives alone, so there was no one around to help, and us girls like to be independent so she wrestled around with the bike for what seemed like an eternity (not much space, so forget all the correct lifting procedures). She was absolutely exhausted, so she quit, went in the house for a break and tried again and was able to get the bike upright....however, she had forgotten to put the side stand down and over it went again :rofl.

I kinda hate it when the Damned thing takes a nap. It seems they all do it :hungover
If you can-
Realize its down.....and it's no big deal (for the most part).
Put the bike in a gear and, lock the front brake if you can.
Deploy the side-stand ifnin' it's the side that's it's being lifted to.
Get yourself in a comfortable position for your lift, this may require the addition of the small handlebar "web" straps in odd places so your arms and legs work best.
Give it a lift using the procedures outlined in many of the videos on line.

Hate to mention, like the center stand- the more practice the easier it gets.

OM

Sometimes I think a rugged little trailer makes better sense when it comes to lugging all the stuff...OK, you can pile on me now.:type

Sometimes I think a rugged little trailer makes better sense when it comes to lugging all the stuff...OK, you can pile on me now.:type

Not a pile on, but an observation...if you are not two up and need a trailer to haul your adventure bike goodies...you have way too much stuff:rolleyes
Could not imagine going off the pavement with stuff dragging behind me...but for those that do it...well, OK.

images-5.jpeg

too much? :dunno

Thanks for the reference

I remember reading this in MOA but couldn't find it. Thanks for the reference. I am usually out there alone, and picking up my fully loaded F650GS can be troublesome depending on the situation. One time I had to wait until some folks came by to help because I was just too exhausted to pick it up one more time that day. :):)

I pack quite a bit on my GS; camping gear, fishing gear, cooking gear and food for several days, water, tools, safety and survival gear, etc. I don't carry anything I don't need or anything that may not be needed to manage self sufficiently alone in remote areas and what I do carry has been carefully selected for minimalism where practical. The first thing to do when the bikes goes horizontal is shut it off then do nothing.

In a jam, a pregnant pause gives birth inspired solutions. Take what you believe in and depending on how it works out, believe in something better next time. This comment comes from a guy whose GSA is named Bessie and my steering commands consist of Gee and Haw.

Back