Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 46

Thread: Prepping for 9000+ mile ride - any advice?

  1. #31
    I get a lot of "isn't that a lot of miles?" Well, my answer is that I still work and I can either do the miles and enjoy the trip I want to take or skip it and sit home. Just did 5700 in 12 days, a few down days, 1034 was the longest day, 750 were the average highway days and the rest was playing out in the midwest.

    Everyone has a different idea of what riding is but I was ready to leave again as soon as I got back


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2012 K1600GTL

  2. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by waynew View Post
    My favorite addition on my last long trip was a camel back water bag. Mine is 1.5L. The lower half of my tank bag is insulated so by filling up with ice then topping off with water , I was ensured a cool supply of water even on the hottest day. I didn't realize how much I wasn't drinking until I got this system. Highly recommend one.

    I pack protein bars but really don't rely on them. When riding long days I Really try to watch what I eat. A few boiled eggs, a string cheese, banana , yogurt are some things to mix and match that provide quality low fat calories so I don't get fatigued. These are things that most fuel stops have now days.

    Sunscreen and some sort of block for my neck as the sun can take a lot out of you. I Recently cut 10" from the waist of a t-shirt (Cammo), double it up and wrap it around my neck; it blocks all the sun and that helps a bunch.

    Don't be Married to a stop time. If I remain flexible I find I have less fatigue thinking about it. When i have a few hundred miles to go and I'm tired I take long break, so it means I get to where I'm headed a little later, I feel refreshed after closing my eyes for 15 minutes waiting for my dinner.

    Hope these tips help on the longer days
    All great advice. Thanks!

    I'm terrible about stopping and drinking water. When I got to my father's house Sunday, I was completely dehydrated. Maybe I'll actually use the camelbak that came with my Kathmandu jacket.
    Current Rides:
    2015 BMW R1200GS
    2016 BMW S1000R

  3. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by waynew View Post
    I get a lot of "isn't that a lot of miles?" Well, my answer is that I still work and I can either do the miles and enjoy the trip I want to take or skip it and sit home. Just did 5700 in 12 days, a few down days, 1034 was the longest day, 750 were the average highway days and the rest was playing out in the midwest.

    Everyone has a different idea of what riding is but I was ready to leave again as soon as I got back
    Yeah, I get that a lot, too. My ride Sunday was 675 miles and would have been great if it wasn't for the heat, bugs, and rain - all three for the last 100 miles. Way too much time white-knuckling as lovebugs dropped inside my helmet from the vents. Those things stink when they explode.

    The weather forecast for Saturday is looking great. Though it will warm up here in Southern Mississippi, I'll be long gone before it gets to 80. And the bugs don't come out until the afternoon. I just planned my route to my first stop and it's 618 miles, most of which should be cooler and dry (#fingerscrossed).
    Current Rides:
    2015 BMW R1200GS
    2016 BMW S1000R

  4. #34
    not lost til out of gas 128521's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    troutdale,or
    Posts
    209
    I would recommend a Beadrider beaded seat cover, also do you have good wind protection? the windscreen on my 2005 GS was junk, I got a better one right away. also if you want to see some NW gravel, get ahold of me when you roll through Portland. have fun! PS sorry about the spot on my picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    don't know where I'm going, but I'm making good time. 1978 R 100 S, 1990 R 100 GSPD, 2005 R 1200 GS

  5. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by 128521 View Post
    I would recommend a Beadrider beaded seat cover, also do you have good wind protection? the windscreen on my 2005 GS was junk, I got a better one right away. also if you want to see some NW gravel, get ahold of me when you roll through Portland. have fun!
    I can't believe I've never seen those BeadRider seats before! How 80's! But I bet they are great.

    I have the factory windscreen but I've added the Laminar Lip to it. The "buffeting" wasn't an issue but the noise of the turbulence is ridiculous. Haven't had a chance to actually test it but all the reviews are positive. Guess I'll find out soon enough. I have a C3PRO helmet and it's dead quiet on the S1000R but oh so noisy on the GS.

    I'll definitely update this thread as I travel and PM you when/if I know I'll be in the Portland area. You'll have to take it easy on me with the gravel - I'm running Anakee III tires, and not the "Wild" version.
    Current Rides:
    2015 BMW R1200GS
    2016 BMW S1000R

  6. #36
    not lost til out of gas 128521's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    troutdale,or
    Posts
    209
    I had a CBailey taller and wider screen but I broke it, so I had to put the stock one back on, got a Laminar lip and it works well. if you find time I know lots of gravel roads that would be fun on your bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    don't know where I'm going, but I'm making good time. 1978 R 100 S, 1990 R 100 GSPD, 2005 R 1200 GS

  7. #37
    Safe travels. Looking forward to the stories.

    Ya, big bugs in the helmet suck.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2012 K1600GTL

  8. #38
    Registered User SeabeckS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    GPS (Greater Puget Sound)
    Posts
    1,652
    Quote Originally Posted by waynew View Post
    Safe travels. Looking forward to the stories.

    Ya, big bugs in the helmet suck.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You should try a big bug without a helmet! When I was young, stupid, and just learning to ride, took my brother's Bonneville for a spin. Rode fairly fast out through some farm country and somehow hit a junebug doing about 70 or so. Hit in the middle of my forehead, man did that smart!
    Bill Johnston

  9. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    2,290
    Was this ride completed safely? Lessons learned?

    Sounded like a recipe for fatigue issues to me but then I look at folks doing the long IronButt as a bit looney/masochistic. Done a handful of 1000+ mile days myself but never when I could avoid it. 600 miles day after day sounds like torture even on the most comfortable bike. 250-350 is a nice relaxing pace allowing sightseeing time, 400-500 is a nice day ride to get somewhere as long as its not all twisties and beyond that I'd prefer to avoid.

    Fatigue can get you dead from one brain fade induced misjudgment. Heat, noise, distance, dehydration etc all contribute to it. Starting long runs without hydration gear isn't a good choice and one needs to be aware of the body limits of absorbing water into tissues which is about 3 times slower than loosing it in hot conditions. Get a bit dehydrated and all drinking will do is give you a bellyful of water unless you make a 2 hr stop.

  10. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
    You should try a big bug without a helmet! When I was young, stupid, and just learning to ride, took my brother's Bonneville for a spin. Rode fairly fast out through some farm country and somehow hit a junebug doing about 70 or so. Hit in the middle of my forehead, man did that smart!
    Sorry no updates! My trial membership ran out and I didn't renew until last week.

    Yeah, I got hit dead-center of my forehead by a locust while riding about 60 without a helmet. That was the last time I rode without a helmet. When I was 19.
    Current Rides:
    2015 BMW R1200GS
    2016 BMW S1000R

  11. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by racer7 View Post
    Was this ride completed safely? Lessons learned?

    Sounded like a recipe for fatigue issues to me but then I look at folks doing the long IronButt as a bit looney/masochistic. Done a handful of 1000+ mile days myself but never when I could avoid it. 600 miles day after day sounds like torture even on the most comfortable bike. 250-350 is a nice relaxing pace allowing sightseeing time, 400-500 is a nice day ride to get somewhere as long as its not all twisties and beyond that I'd prefer to avoid.

    Fatigue can get you dead from one brain fade induced misjudgment. Heat, noise, distance, dehydration etc all contribute to it. Starting long runs without hydration gear isn't a good choice and one needs to be aware of the body limits of absorbing water into tissues which is about 3 times slower than loosing it in hot conditions. Get a bit dehydrated and all drinking will do is give you a bellyful of water unless you make a 2 hr stop.
    Yes! The ride was completed safely and without any real incident. The miles ended up being 6998 post-Mississippi, though (~7700 total). As I was making my way west through Canada, I realized that I would overrun my vacation time if I went all the way to Vancouver. So I crossed the border back into the US north of Detroit (Sault St. Marie), went West to Casper,WY, then south through the Rockies and back to Dallas.

    Along the way, I decided to explore some gravel fire roads in Wyoming. I had watched some YouTube videos so I felt like I knew what I was doing..... After a few scares, I got my bearing and ended up doing 190 miles of loose rock, gravel, and sand. WHAT A BLAST!!!

    I had always found it suspicious that there were no balance weights on the rear wheel when I picked up the bike, but the dealer said it was right. Proved otherwise along the way. There really wasn't a noticeable vibration until about halfway through Canada. When I got to Wyoming, I did a closer inspection of the rear and noticed that it was wearing very unevenly. I ended up getting a new tire (replaced under BMW factory warranty!) at Grand Junction Harley-Davidson - they also deal in KTM and BMW. Many thanks to the folks there for taking care of me. I was at their door when they opened and they had me on the road in time to grab lunch.

    The Laminar Lip was a huge improvement over stock, but I'm probably going to order the MRA Vario. Seems like it should out-perform the lip.

    The adventure gear I bought worked out well, too. I was able to stay comfortable 90% of the time by just adjusting vents or lining. My only complaint is with the gloves. They started to fray at the fingertips and don't provide very good feel. But I rode with my older leather/kevler sport gloves most of the trip and they are very comfortable. The luggage liners from KJD worked out great, too. Kept my gear clean and dry while saving me the trouble of hauling my side/top cases into the hotel rooms.

    I am not impressed with the GPS navigation when actually trying to get somewhere, but it was great at finding curvey roads to ride. There was a lot of back-and-forth between it and Google Maps.

    For reference, here's the route I took (from the GPS):
    Road Trip - Actual.jpg

    All in all, a great vacation and the best way to explore North America. Can't wait to do Europe this fall!
    Current Rides:
    2015 BMW R1200GS
    2016 BMW S1000R

  12. #42
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    4,114
    Thanks for the update
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  13. #43
    Registered User AKsuited's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southern Tier of New York
    Posts
    1,578
    Quote Originally Posted by racer7 View Post
    Sounded like a recipe for fatigue issues to me but then I look at folks doing the long IronButt as a bit looney/masochistic. Done a handful of 1000+ mile days myself but never when I could avoid it. 600 miles day after day sounds like torture even on the most comfortable bike. 250-350 is a nice relaxing pace allowing sightseeing time, 400-500 is a nice day ride to get somewhere as long as its not all twisties and beyond that I'd prefer to avoid.

    Fatigue can get you dead from one brain fade induced misjudgment. Heat, noise, distance, dehydration etc all contribute to it. Starting long runs without hydration gear isn't a good choice and one needs to be aware of the body limits of absorbing water into tissues which is about 3 times slower than loosing it in hot conditions. Get a bit dehydrated and all drinking will do is give you a bellyful of water unless you make a 2 hr stop.
    I am in complete agreement with your very good advice.

    I ride for the enjoyment of bike travel and to survive. I have nothing to prove.

    Harry
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

  14. #44
    i'm going to be riding around greece all summer this year and the heat is just nuts. I've got an old 1100 gs, with 120k on it has anyone ever used an engine oil additive
    cheers
    Mal

  15. #45

    9K trip

    Thanks. some great info. I will have a riding buddy who is a semipro motocross monster and can use his 2009 R1200
    GSA on single track like I would use a Honda 90.... We leave Regina on 14 June and plan to be back to Salt Lake for the Rally where I will pick up my new 1600 GTL (that I will win) on 14 July. Thanks also to my 72 year old for agreeing that we should just keep riding. For me it is not so much the age as it is the money. THEREFORE no inheritance for the kids!!!!! I especially liked the invite from our friends from Nova Scotia. I like this forum.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •