• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Prepping for 9000+ mile ride - any advice?

So..... I'm really happy about buying the cylinder head guards... :blush

And watching the "how to stand your GS up" videos.

I rode from Dallas to my father's house outside New Orleans yesterday (roughly a 600 mile ride). About 100 miles from the end I ran into a rain storm. Since my phone (in a RAM mount) isn't in a waterproof case, I decided to pull off the road and slide it into my jacket. I was doing about 3 mph when the front tire hit wet grass and started diving into the ditch. I managed to keep the bike out of the deep part but couldn't keep it from lying down.

Long story short, NO DAMAGE! From the drop, at least. I kicked the GS-logo tank pad with my boot while dismounting and broke the tabs. It's lying on the side of the road somewhere. The left guard got scuffed and scraped but there is no visible damage anywhere on the bike.

No real point to this story, but figured some folks would get a laugh. I knew better than to put a wheel on the grass; I just wasn't thinking.

I really wish I had a video of me standing the bike up in super-slick grass. It would make a fortune on YouTube.

Anyone have a spare OEM tank pad to sell? :)

Part# 46 63 8 533 681 $39.67

Good to hear that's the only damage.

Thanks. Yeah, I found the part number but none of the places that have it are open on Mondays. I'm not leaving for the "big" ride until Saturday morning, though. Hopefully it's a stocked item and I can get it shipped quickly. You wouldn't think it makes much difference, but it is an ugly blank space and I can't help but stare at it. Very annoying. Constant reminder of my stupidity.

Well, at least you got that training session completed and a great trip ahead.:thumb

Yeah, I hope that is my "incident of the trip" for this vacation. On my last ride, I shredded my rear tire fighting a strong head wind with....um....speed. And I was in the middle of South Dakota, 65 miles from the nearest gas station. And before anyone asks.... Yes, I inspected that tire in the morning and had plenty of tread left. It wore that flat spot to the fibers in about 90 miles.

tire.jpg

Many a rider has been mousetrapped the same way with tires that lack good tread depth (which are rubber thickness) indicators at or near the center of the tire.

Been there, done that. I now stick with tires that have a center tread like the Pilot Road 4.

The night before, I measured the center most wear indicators and told Debbie we had enough tire for a couple day rides and the trip home.
Made it 100 miles the next morning.
We were lucky. A friend had a pickup and the Bentonville Ark. dealer had what we needed at a fair price.
IMG_0062.jpg

I bet folks passing by seeing three bikes without wheels were :scratch

Must be a BMW thing:laugh:laugh:laugh

I thought folks just removed their GPS...not the wheels at motels!

My favorite addition on my last long trip was a camel back water bag. Mine is 1.5L. The lower half of my tank bag is insulated so by filling up with ice then topping off with water , I was ensured a cool supply of water even on the hottest day. I didn't realize how much I wasn't drinking until I got this system. Highly recommend one.

I pack protein bars but really don't rely on them. When riding long days I Really try to watch what I eat. A few boiled eggs, a string cheese, banana , yogurt are some things to mix and match that provide quality low fat calories so I don't get fatigued. These are things that most fuel stops have now days.

Sunscreen and some sort of block for my neck as the sun can take a lot out of you. I Recently cut 10" from the waist of a t-shirt (Cammo), double it up and wrap it around my neck; it blocks all the sun and that helps a bunch.

Don't be Married to a stop time. If I remain flexible I find I have less fatigue thinking about it. When i have a few hundred miles to go and I'm tired I take long break, so it means I get to where I'm headed a little later, I feel refreshed after closing my eyes for 15 minutes waiting for my dinner.

Hope these tips help on the longer days [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get a lot of "isn't that a lot of miles?" Well, my answer is that I still work and I can either do the miles and enjoy the trip I want to take or skip it and sit home. Just did 5700 in 12 days, a few down days, 1034 was the longest day, 750 were the average highway days and the rest was playing out in the midwest.

Everyone has a different idea of what riding is but I was ready to leave again as soon as I got back [emoji41]

My favorite addition on my last long trip was a camel back water bag. Mine is 1.5L. The lower half of my tank bag is insulated so by filling up with ice then topping off with water , I was ensured a cool supply of water even on the hottest day. I didn't realize how much I wasn't drinking until I got this system. Highly recommend one.

I pack protein bars but really don't rely on them. When riding long days I Really try to watch what I eat. A few boiled eggs, a string cheese, banana , yogurt are some things to mix and match that provide quality low fat calories so I don't get fatigued. These are things that most fuel stops have now days.

Sunscreen and some sort of block for my neck as the sun can take a lot out of you. I Recently cut 10" from the waist of a t-shirt (Cammo), double it up and wrap it around my neck; it blocks all the sun and that helps a bunch.

Don't be Married to a stop time. If I remain flexible I find I have less fatigue thinking about it. When i have a few hundred miles to go and I'm tired I take long break, so it means I get to where I'm headed a little later, I feel refreshed after closing my eyes for 15 minutes waiting for my dinner.

Hope these tips help on the longer days [emoji41]

All great advice. Thanks!

I'm terrible about stopping and drinking water. When I got to my father's house Sunday, I was completely dehydrated. Maybe I'll actually use the camelbak that came with my Kathmandu jacket.

I get a lot of "isn't that a lot of miles?" Well, my answer is that I still work and I can either do the miles and enjoy the trip I want to take or skip it and sit home. Just did 5700 in 12 days, a few down days, 1034 was the longest day, 750 were the average highway days and the rest was playing out in the midwest.

Everyone has a different idea of what riding is but I was ready to leave again as soon as I got back [emoji41]

Yeah, I get that a lot, too. My ride Sunday was 675 miles and would have been great if it wasn't for the heat, bugs, and rain - all three for the last 100 miles. Way too much time white-knuckling as lovebugs dropped inside my helmet from the vents. Those things stink when they explode.

The weather forecast for Saturday is looking great. Though it will warm up here in Southern Mississippi, I'll be long gone before it gets to 80. And the bugs don't come out until the afternoon. I just planned my route to my first stop and it's 618 miles, most of which should be cooler and dry (#fingerscrossed).

I would recommend a Beadrider beaded seat cover, also do you have good wind protection? the windscreen on my 2005 GS was junk, I got a better one right away. also if you want to see some NW gravel, get ahold of me when you roll through Portland. have fun! PS sorry about the spot on my picture. :)

Attachments

• DSC01009a.jpg
    DSC01009a.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 193
I would recommend a Beadrider beaded seat cover, also do you have good wind protection? the windscreen on my 2005 GS was junk, I got a better one right away. also if you want to see some NW gravel, get ahold of me when you roll through Portland. have fun!

I can't believe I've never seen those BeadRider seats before! How 80's! But I bet they are great.

I have the factory windscreen but I've added the Laminar Lip to it. The "buffeting" wasn't an issue but the noise of the turbulence is ridiculous. Haven't had a chance to actually test it but all the reviews are positive. Guess I'll find out soon enough. I have a C3PRO helmet and it's dead quiet on the S1000R but oh so noisy on the GS.

I'll definitely update this thread as I travel and PM you when/if I know I'll be in the Portland area. You'll have to take it easy on me with the gravel - I'm running Anakee III tires, and not the "Wild" version.

I had a CBailey taller and wider screen but I broke it, so I had to put the stock one back on, got a Laminar lip and it works well. if you find time I know lots of gravel roads that would be fun on your bike.

Attachments

• DSC01168a.jpg
    DSC01168a.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 191
Safe travels. Looking forward to the stories.

Ya, big bugs in the helmet suck.

Safe travels. Looking forward to the stories.

Ya, big bugs in the helmet suck.

You should try a big bug without a helmet! When I was young, stupid, and just learning to ride, took my brother's Bonneville for a spin. Rode fairly fast out through some farm country and somehow hit a junebug doing about 70 or so. Hit in the middle of my forehead, man did that smart!:)

Was this ride completed safely? Lessons learned?

Sounded like a recipe for fatigue issues to me but then I look at folks doing the long IronButt as a bit looney/masochistic. Done a handful of 1000+ mile days myself but never when I could avoid it. 600 miles day after day sounds like torture even on the most comfortable bike. 250-350 is a nice relaxing pace allowing sightseeing time, 400-500 is a nice day ride to get somewhere as long as its not all twisties and beyond that I'd prefer to avoid.

Fatigue can get you dead from one brain fade induced misjudgment. Heat, noise, distance, dehydration etc all contribute to it. Starting long runs without hydration gear isn't a good choice and one needs to be aware of the body limits of absorbing water into tissues which is about 3 times slower than loosing it in hot conditions. Get a bit dehydrated and all drinking will do is give you a bellyful of water unless you make a 2 hr stop.

You should try a big bug without a helmet! When I was young, stupid, and just learning to ride, took my brother's Bonneville for a spin. Rode fairly fast out through some farm country and somehow hit a junebug doing about 70 or so. Hit in the middle of my forehead, man did that smart!:)

Sorry no updates! My trial membership ran out and I didn't renew until last week.

Yeah, I got hit dead-center of my forehead by a locust while riding about 60 without a helmet. That was the last time I rode without a helmet. When I was 19.

Back