Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Prepping for 9000+ mile ride - any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by nawlinstornado View Post
    If this trip is anything like the last, I'll end up with about 5 photos per day. It seems like all the best vistas are where the riding is too good to stop!
    My last big ride (3800 spread over 9 days) I came home with 3 pictures.
    Bill Johnston

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
    My last big ride (3800 spread over 9 days) I came home with 3 pictures.
    Yep - and in my case - they were all at gas stations.
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    I agree that you are trying to go too far in 15 days. You mention visiting someone; must be a planning a short visit indeed. Unless you are really into long distance riding I think you will not enjoy this trip.
    Yeah....I agree. No flower-sniffing on this trip.
    “Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
    The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'

Quote Originally Posted by 61996 View Post
    Yeah....I agree. No flower-sniffing on this trip.
    I smell the roses by leaning....
    Current Rides:
    2015 BMW R1200GS
    2016 BMW S1000R

Quote Originally Posted by bogthebasher View Post
    Yep - and in my case - they were all at gas stations.
    I only made one special stop early in the day to catch a pic of Devil's Tower.

IMG_20140903_083018_534.jpg
    Current Rides:
    2015 BMW R1200GS
    2016 BMW S1000R

So..... I'm really happy about buying the cylinder head guards...

And watching the "how to stand your GS up" videos.

I rode from Dallas to my father's house outside New Orleans yesterday (roughly a 600 mile ride). About 100 miles from the end I ran into a rain storm. Since my phone (in a RAM mount) isn't in a waterproof case, I decided to pull off the road and slide it into my jacket. I was doing about 3 mph when the front tire hit wet grass and started diving into the ditch. I managed to keep the bike out of the deep part but couldn't keep it from lying down.

Long story short, NO DAMAGE! From the drop, at least. I kicked the GS-logo tank pad with my boot while dismounting and broke the tabs. It's lying on the side of the road somewhere. The left guard got scuffed and scraped but there is no visible damage anywhere on the bike.

No real point to this story, but figured some folks would get a laugh. I knew better than to put a wheel on the grass; I just wasn't thinking.

I really wish I had a video of me standing the bike up in super-slick grass. It would make a fortune on YouTube.

Anyone have a spare OEM tank pad to sell?
    Current Rides:
    2015 BMW R1200GS
    2016 BMW S1000R

Anyone have a spare OEM tank pad to sell?
    Part# 46 63 8 533 681 $39.67

Good to hear that's the only damage.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Part# 46 63 8 533 681 $39.67

Good to hear that's the only damage.
    Thanks. Yeah, I found the part number but none of the places that have it are open on Mondays. I'm not leaving for the "big" ride until Saturday morning, though. Hopefully it's a stocked item and I can get it shipped quickly. You wouldn't think it makes much difference, but it is an ugly blank space and I can't help but stare at it. Very annoying. Constant reminder of my stupidity.
    Current Rides:
    2015 BMW R1200GS
    2016 BMW S1000R

Well, at least you got that training session completed and a great trip ahead.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Well, at least you got that training session completed and a great trip ahead.
    Yeah, I hope that is my "incident of the trip" for this vacation. On my last ride, I shredded my rear tire fighting a strong head wind with....um....speed. And I was in the middle of South Dakota, 65 miles from the nearest gas station. And before anyone asks.... Yes, I inspected that tire in the morning and had plenty of tread left. It wore that flat spot to the fibers in about 90 miles.

tire.jpg
    Current Rides:
    2015 BMW R1200GS
    2016 BMW S1000R

Yes, I inspected that tire in the morning and had plenty of tread left. It wore that flat spot to the fibers in about 90 miles.

tire.jpg
    Nah! You only thought you had plenty of tread. Many a rider has been mousetrapped the same way with tires that lack good tread depth (which are rubber thickness) indicators at or near the center of the tire.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Many a rider has been mousetrapped the same way with tires that lack good tread depth (which are rubber thickness) indicators at or near the center of the tire.
    Been there, done that. I now stick with tires that have a center tread like the Pilot Road 4.

The night before, I measured the center most wear indicators and told Debbie we had enough tire for a couple day rides and the trip home.
    Made it 100 miles the next morning.
    We were lucky. A friend had a pickup and the Bentonville Ark. dealer had what we needed at a fair price.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

I bet folks passing by seeing three bikes without wheels were

Must be a BMW thing

I thought folks just removed their GPS...not the wheels at motels!
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post

I thought folks just removed their GPS...not the wheels at motels!
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

My favorite addition on my last long trip was a camel back water bag. Mine is 1.5L. The lower half of my tank bag is insulated so by filling up with ice then topping off with water , I was ensured a cool supply of water even on the hottest day. I didn't realize how much I wasn't drinking until I got this system. Highly recommend one.

I pack protein bars but really don't rely on them. When riding long days I Really try to watch what I eat. A few boiled eggs, a string cheese, banana , yogurt are some things to mix and match that provide quality low fat calories so I don't get fatigued. These are things that most fuel stops have now days.

Sunscreen and some sort of block for my neck as the sun can take a lot out of you. I Recently cut 10" from the waist of a t-shirt (Cammo), double it up and wrap it around my neck; it blocks all the sun and that helps a bunch.

Don't be Married to a stop time. If I remain flexible I find I have less fatigue thinking about it. When i have a few hundred miles to go and I'm tired I take long break, so it means I get to where I'm headed a little later, I feel refreshed after closing my eyes for 15 minutes waiting for my dinner.

Hope these tips help on the longer days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2012 K1600GTL