• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Salt Lake City Rally GPS Coordinates

BMW Triumphant

Ed Kilner #176066
Anybody have the GPS coordinates for the rally site entrance?

I'm going to start looking at routes. It's early, but I am planning Toronto - SLC - Vancouver Island - Toronto loop and there are a huge number of possibilites...

Bump

I thought I would bring this info back to the top. Looks like gate 1 = Main entrance

Bump

I thought I would bring this info back to the top. Looks like gate 1 = Main entrance

Anyone have directions for the GPS challenged? Like what exit and direction off I80 to what street, a direction to main entrance (or something similar). It appears to be a location made much easier to find with those type directions, perhaps from a local.
Thanks

As for GPS coordinates, it actually depends on which GPS format you are using.

I believe the entrance is Gate-1 at the intersection of 1000 W and W 200 N (aka Motor Ave - that works on my Garmin)
For a street address it would be approximately: 1000 W 200 N, Salt Lake City.

My Garmin finds 1000 Motor Ave, Salt Lake City easiest.

There will be big signs on the major streets, along with some helpful volunteers directing you to the rally entrance.

Anyone have directions for the GPS challenged? Like what exit and direction off I80 to what street, a direction to main entrance (or something similar). It appears to be a location made much easier to find with those type directions, perhaps from a local.
Thanks

From I-80 (either direction), take I-15 North.
Take Exit 309 up to 600N
Turn left (west) on 600N
In ~1/3 mile, turn left (south) on 1000W
In ~1/2 mile, turn right (west) on 200N

Along 1000W, the Fairpark will be on your right. Address given by the MOA is 155 N 1000 W.

Local Street Names (From a Local)

From I-80 (either direction), take I-15 North.
Take Exit 309 up to 600N
Turn left (west) on 600N
In ~1/3 mile, turn left (south) on 1000W
In ~1/2 mile, turn right (west) on 200N

Along 1000W, the Fairpark will be on your right. Address given by the MOA is 155 N 1000 W.

OK, technically the address is 155 N 1000 W. If you asked 100 locals where 155 North is they probably couldn't tell you. The official name for that street is "North Temple Boulevard" North is part of the name so the address is 155 W North Temple Boulevard (I'll explain below). Street signs, highway etc will reference "North Temple" for the most part. The highway exist is indeed 600 North and the Fairpark is to the west. Along those streets there are brown way-finding signs that show tourist attractions and the Fairpark will be listed on them.

Quick notes on our curious address system. GRID - east/west and north/south. State Street (State Highway 89) runs north/south and is the dividing line for the east to west coordinates. Blocks are usually in the 100 designations - 1 block east of State Street you are at at a street called "100 East" , 200 East Street is 2 blocks etc.

Temple Square is the divide between north and south coordinates. So the street called "600 North" is about 6 giant blocks north of Temple Square and runs east/west. Sounds easy right? It would be but unfortunately near Temple Square that gets messed up. The street south of the square is "South Temple" and there is "West Temple" and North Temple streets. (No East Temple). So on those named streets, the grid gets wonky as you get addresses like 200 S West Temple or 400 W North Temple. The double directions get confusing but you get used to them.

The Fairpark is on North Temple and there is light rail line (the North Temple Blvd line) that takes you into downtown if you want to explore. The Utah Transit Authority (UTA - https://www.rideuta.com/) I believe sells a 5-day light rail pass for about $30.

Safe journeys and welcome! DJG

Back