• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Running on idle for long time

I see that now. I guess some lose all their oil and shutdown. Why did you need to charge your battery if it was still running? Or did the heat cause it to discharge?

Anyways I learnt these things shutdown with a loss of oil pressure. My K bike certainly shut down and started right back up after adding fresh oil. It should have been toast with no oil and the dealer told me of other examples of complete oil loss from forgotten idling R bikes. One where the valve cover was warped even.
According to them they have seen bikes that were left idling more than once.
Glad to see am not the only idiot to leave the bike idling...:rofl and leave home. Was a slight emergency, but that is no excuse!
There was some loss of oil, but minimal. Am surprised the battery was strong enough to keep the bike running. Besides, I had the Hi
bean on, which was the reason I turned it on and left on idle, to see how hot the new LED bulb will get. The idea was 20 min, not 5 hours!
Recharged the battery and is good as it should be.

So, how hot did your LED get? I'd guess that being non-rolling, and in a closed garage (I hope), would be the "worst case" scenario. Also wondering if the heat appeared to reduce the light output.

So, how hot did your LED get? I'd guess that being non-rolling, and in a closed garage (I hope), would be the "worst case" scenario. Also wondering if the heat appeared to reduce the light output.

Have HID for Lo, only the Hi is LED. It was hot, but no damage caused by the heat, so, as you say, the worst case is not worrisome.
As for the light output when hot...that was the last thing would cross my mind at that time! All I was looking for was if it is still on and
didn't blow up, and none of the wires melted. It was in garage, door open though! (safe neighborhood!) Am sure neighbors thought I
was home. Lights were on...

Back