• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Add cruise control?

dkthecpa

I have a 2012 RT I've had since new that came from the factory without cruise. Is it possible to retro-fit this (not add a throttle-lock, which I already have now), and if so, at about what price? Thanks.

Welcome to the forum:wave

I would call your local dealer and inquire from the service manager

A lot of things can be added to some models easily, others labor intensive.
The cruise has several components to add/change.
The handlebar switch is around $400, a different setup for the bowden box cable distributor with a microswitch ,looks like maybe $200 in different parts.

Don't see it right off, but somewhere the brake system gets tied in to shut it off when brakes used. Surely a software update and labor.

Let us know if you get an answer:thumb

I'd send a quick email query to McCruise at the following address and ask if they make a unit designed for your RT. They will get back to you.

sales@mccruise.com or visit same @ http://www.mccruise.com

I've installed 2 of these units on BMW R1200 GS bikes and they work phenomenally well. I'd also bet they'll be much cheaper than the BMW retrofit. The McCruise CC is not a difficult installation, but it does take some time to do - taking off tupperware, removing gas tank, various panels, etc, etc, then replacing same. The instructions are superb and their customer service, should you have questions is A#1.

Both of my installations worked as advertised right out of the box with no tweaking necessary. They both hold speed wishing +/- 2 mph in all terrain. I've had mine for over 3 years and have had zero issues.

They're currently introducing their new electronic actuators (~ $1200 AUD, $900 US), but still have a limited supply of their tried and true vacuum actuated models available (~$1000 AUD, $750 US). It's worth a shot IMHO.

Bill Edwards
Boerne, TX

Just as a counterpoint ...

... to me, cruise control is the most overrated "farkle" available for motorcycles.

It's my view that there is certainly a need to be able to remove one's hand from the throttle and have the bike maintain speed .... for about the time it requires to shake out the hand to relieve any oncoming cramping, etc.

After your hand is rejuvenated, where are you going to put it? Mine usually goes back to the throttle grip, and it's more trouble than it's worth to attempt a light grip so as not to disturb the cruise control set speed. I often find myself accelerating past that. I turn it off almost immediately.

I you're riding in a group and aren't the lead bike, you'll probably never be able to use your cruise for more than the shakeout minute in any event. You'll be up somebody's rear fairly quickly otherwise.

My R1100S was never available with factory cruise (the only kind I'd consider) and I get by just fine with an Ace Hardware o-ring inserted between the bar-end weight and the handgrip. It's just enough friction to keep the throttle position for the hand shakeout time required ... and it's 50 cents. This bike purchased used with Throttlemeister, which I removed as I think it was dangerous. The brake tap of the factory solution is much easier than the unwind required on the bar end with that product. In any event, too much trouble to set and then unset 30 seconds later after hand feels better.

Not perfect arguments, but just some ideas.

IMHO, having when on the freeway is invaluable. I don't have cruise on my '85 RT and do have it on my '09 RT. Without constant attention to the speedometer, I find that my speed creeps up or down on the '85. I'd rather pay attention to the road and surrounding traffic than to my speed (and it's easy to find myself going to fast - at least as far as LEO's are concerned).

... to me, cruise control is the most overrated "farkle" available for motorcycles.

It's my view that there is certainly a need to be able to remove one's hand from the throttle and have the bike maintain speed .... for about the time it requires to shake out the hand to relieve any oncoming cramping, etc.

After your hand is rejuvenated, where are you going to put it? Mine usually goes back to the throttle grip, and it's more trouble than it's worth to attempt a light grip so as not to disturb the cruise control set speed. I often find myself accelerating past that. I turn it off almost immediately.

I you're riding in a group and aren't the lead bike, you'll probably never be able to use your cruise for more than the shakeout minute in any event. You'll be up somebody's rear fairly quickly otherwise.

My R1100S was never available with factory cruise (the only kind I'd consider) and I get by just fine with an Ace Hardware o-ring inserted between the bar-end weight and the handgrip. It's just enough friction to keep the throttle position for the hand shakeout time required ... and it's 50 cents. This bike purchased used with Throttlemeister, which I removed as I think it was dangerous. The brake tap of the factory solution is much easier than the unwind required on the bar end with that product. In any event, too much trouble to set and then unset 30 seconds later after hand feels better.

I totally agree. If I used the cruise control on my car a lot, I could see using the cruise control on a motorcycle. But I don't. Usually when I use the cruise control on my car, it is when I enter a town with a 25 mph speed limit.

I plan to take a trip down the west coast from Washington to California next summer. I'm hoping the road has enough curves and twists to it that I'd never have the opportunity to use a cruise control. Any road that I could use cruise control on, would be a very boring road IMHO.

Chris

Well, I'll be the counterpoint to Kent's counterpoint. I love cruise control both on my cars and on the motorcycle. Obviously not of much value in the twisties, but I do a lot of freeway driving and it's great. Cruise control is not autopilot, and in fact I find that not having to worry about maintaining a given speed allows me to devote more attention to my surroundings. Also (and may be this sounds like whining), as I get older I find that it's more difficult for me to maintain a constant tension on the throttle like I used to in the pre-cruise control days. Cramped arm and all that.

Getting from the left coast to anywhere east invariably involves crossing Nevada. I've gone most ways across Nevada that I can think of, and I simply can't imagine doing it without cruise control.

My $0.02, and worth every bit.

JayJay

Cruise control? Hell yes

I thought the adjustable windshield on my 1993 K1100LT was a gimmick, but boy I was wrong. I appreciated the feature on the LT and the R1100RT that replaced it and now the R!12RT.

I thought I really wouldn't use the cruise control on the '09 RT i picked up and considered it another gimmick. I was wrong, it does come in handy and works so well. On/off/up/down it is so easy to adjust. I no longer need the throttle rocker I used to use to give the throttle hand a break. On curvy roads, in city, etc. no, but is sure nice to have in Nebraska....

Funny thing is I never use cruise control in the car. Then again, I prefer the bike to long trips vs the car....

Love my cruise control.

My R1100RT developed an oil leak at the cylinder/head just before my planned trip to CA. I found a R 1200 RT for sale and bought it. It had cruise.

BOY WAS I WRONG.

I have arthritis in my fingers and had installed grip buddies on my other bikes to help with the problem; but cruise control is the answer.

The only downside was I had to get used to running 111 MPH because it does not work at faster speeds.

Running through the desert for hundreds of miles just screams for cruise.

Add me to the list of those who love their cruise control, I will never purchase another bike without it. I rarely NOT use it, and if that means my roads are boring, so be it. And when you put your hand back to the grip as stated above, you have to be mighty careless to disturb the cruise control and it's set speed. Even when I ride with a buddy who has a Goldwing, we both use speed control. If you are the follower, it is so easy to tweak up and down as necessary to maintain the proper following distance.

Yep, I love my cruise control. :wave

I'm curious. Why is the Throttlemeister dangerous? Seems to be pretty similar to your Ace Is the Place O-ring.

BTW - I'm a throttle screw-type guy that isn't overwhelmed by the electronic cruise-control. And, your O-ring set-up is a lot cheaper than the Wunderlich throttle lock I use the dampen the sensitivity of the new throttle by wire system on wetheads.

I'm not lkchris - but I've found the bar-end locks (I currently have a KAOKA) tend to change the amount of drag they apply as the grip temperature changes. With the lock adjusted for neutral throttle at 70F - if you turn the handgrip heaters on - the lock will then become firmly locked, and you have to continually readjust as the temperature changes. There is one lock designed with this in mind - but unfortunately - I forget the manufacturer and I never got to try one, but it uses a disk that is spring loaded pressing against the end of the throttle grip. If the spring force is linear over at least some small distance - expansion of the grip inner liner won't have much effect on the amount of drag it applies.

Had Throttlemeister on my R12R and now have a Kaoko on a Super Tenere. The Throttlemeister was easier to adjust and maintained the setting better than the Kaoko. Could be a function of the difference in the bikes as much as the devices themselves. I love having cruise control on my other bike. Caution should be exercised in the use of both the throttle locks or cruise control. I had a recent lesson in the importance of having both hands on the bars when I was hit by a deer. I believe I would have lost control of the bike had I not had both hands on the bars. The force transfered to my left hand was substantial.

Like Don, notice the grip heater issue, but more so on our 11xx's.

Most of our bikes are second owners, so we have had about every brand to try as most bikes had some version.
My RT had the OEM set up, great on long straights, and able to leave hand on the grip ,just loose enough to chill, w/out shutting it off. As Kevin mentions, really good idea to still have hands in a good position. H rode it home from Big Bend one time and steadily pulled away from me on my GS. You do not realize how much you vary throttle until you try that with a real cruise in the lead.
Y'all know I take my hands off too take pictures, raise/lower visor, look in tankbag for a cookie,wave and stretch...But still am vigalent of how things can change quickly.
Back to aftermarket options...

Have gone to Pep Boys and tried the o-ring...it's always "on" so didn't care for it as sometimes you need a snappy throttle. Some of the oilheads we have owned had a piece of bleach bottle donut cutouts between the rubbers and the collars...worked great in winter with grips on high,not so much the rest of time.

Kaoko with its gear type thumbwheel is easiest to adjust for me, especially with winter gloves on.It works with handguards and is on my GS and her 12Roadster.

Bob's Wristrest has a nice knurled ring...but I " think" the tightening rotation is opposite the rest...it seems different and odd to me
Throttlemeister is sleekest look and on one of the oilheads, it needs tweaking on a day when grips are on. But with sleek, it is harder to rotate on/off...more so with winter gloves

I bought this for a fellow clubmember for his R12R...before a test on his bike, he sadly decided riding
wasn't for him anymore...but that subject was discussed in another thread...so back to this item from Excel Throttle Control.

KIMG1507.jpg
has an adjuster wheel for tension, then a flip on/off lever. Have not given it a go, just remembered I had it.

Yeah , but..

On my 2011 RT, it was too easy to creep up the speed on the cruise control when my hand was loosely on the throttle.

On my 2015, the throttle is more by-wire and the cruise control works much better in this regard.

Hard to stretch out like this without some kind of throttle lock:jester

View attachment 58283

Didn't all the airheads have provision for installing the ubiquitous throttle screw? IIRC, my 86 K75 throttle housing was delivered with the machined screw hole, but you had to the purchase the screw. On my oilhead, I had to order a special police bike throttle housing which included the screw.

I have one of these and I rate it as better than the usual twist locks. It's much easier to deploy and disconnect.

Like Don, notice the grip heater issue, but more so on our 11xx's.

Most of our bikes are second owners, so we have had about every brand to try as most bikes had some version.
My RT had the OEM set up, great on long straights, and able to leave hand on the grip ,just loose enough to chill, w/out shutting it off. As Kevin mentions, really good idea to still have hands in a good position. H rode it home from Big Bend one time and steadily pulled away from me on my GS. You do not realize how much you vary throttle until you try that with a real cruise in the lead.
Y'all know I take my hands off too take pictures, raise/lower visor, look in tankbag for a cookie,wave and stretch...But still am vigalent of how things can change quickly.
Back to aftermarket options...

Have gone to Pep Boys and tried the o-ring...it's always "on" so didn't care for it as sometimes you need a snappy throttle. Some of the oilheads we have owned had a piece of bleach bottle donut cutouts between the rubbers and the collars...worked great in winter with grips on high,not so much the rest of time.

Kaoko with its gear type thumbwheel is easiest to adjust for me, especially with winter gloves on.It works with handguards and is on my GS and her 12Roadster.

Bob's Wristrest has a nice knurled ring...but I " think" the tightening rotation is opposite the rest...it seems different and odd to me
Throttlemeister is sleekest look and on one of the oilheads, it needs tweaking on a day when grips are on. But with sleek, it is harder to rotate on/off...more so with winter gloves

I bought this for a fellow clubmember for his R12R...before a test on his bike, he sadly decided riding
wasn't for him anymore...but that subject was discussed in another thread...so back to this item from Excel Throttle Control.

View attachment 58282
has an adjuster wheel for tension, then a flip on/off lever. Have not given it a go, just remembered I had it.

Back