• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

No more group rides.......

Well, I've never been a fan of group rides, having seen some boorish behavior by the Pirate types, but a local dealership has been trying to coordinate Sunday morning group and demo rides to spur sales. So, to be supportive and help build group participation, I've tried to attend the rides and meet some of the other riders. But, today will be my last.

I arrived at the meeting site just as the departure started so I took a spot at the back. Pulling out on the 4-lane, divided highway, I was getting queasy with the rolling stop / right-hand turn on red, but the herd was going thru. I prefer to interpret "right on red" as "turning right after stopping" not a yield to oncoming traffic. At the next intersection, it was the classic pirate move......the first few guys make their left hand turn with a green light, then the next several riders assume that they've entered the intersection on a green light, regardless of it being red. Well, today, I decided, I wasn't going to perform a moving violation or risk being a minivan hood ornament, so I stopped at the red light. That was great for me, but the following guy on the HD Electro-Glide didn't see it that way and stopped in a heap after hitting the back of my bike. I felt the bump but wasn't knocked over. In the confusion, while other guys were picking up the fallen HD, I flipped up my face shield and asked the guy where he hit my bike. He said he hit something, but getting out of the intersection was the most important thing at the time. Yes, I had to get the bike in gear (i.e., retracting the kickstand allows the starter to engage) and was a bit shaken and concerned relative to any damage. However, my bike seemed to function normally.

Since the lead group continued, I stayed with the ride until the next stop when I could check the rear of my bike for damage. I dismounted, checked the rear of my bike for damage and then asked the HD rider where he hit my bike. IIRC, he said, "I think my fairing hit your rack". He said nothing more and remained mounted on his bike. There was no expression of regret for hitting my bike or any concern about damage to my bike or me. Once again, the crowd was ready move, so there was no chance to ask for names and insurance information, but none was offered.

At the next stop, I chatted with a fellow rider and noticed that the HD guy zoomed up to talk with the leader of the demo ride. And, later at the same stop was summoned to look at the some malfunctioning warning light on a demo bike. Hmm...it's pretty obvious that the HD rider is somehow connected with this whole demo event. At a subsequent stop, a young Ducati rider, who was functioning as a ride tail/sweep, identified the HD rider as a shop mechanic.

Now, what do you think the chances are that I'll go in that BMW shop for service? Think I'll ever consider their service department to be an asset relative to a vehicle purchase at that dealership?

A few simple words..........."I'm sorry I hit your bike. Let's see if everything is OK" That would have changed the outcome, completely.

Well, I've never been a fan of group rides, having seen some boorish behavior by the Pirate types, but a local dealership has been trying to coordinate Sunday morning group and demo rides to spur sales. So, to be supportive and help build group participation, I've tried to attend the rides and meet some of the other riders. But, today will be my last.

I arrived at the meeting site just as the departure started so I took a spot at the back. Pulling out on the 4-lane, divided highway, I was getting queasy with the rolling stop / right-hand turn on red, but the herd was going thru. I prefer to interpret "right on red" as "turning right after stopping" not a yield to oncoming traffic. At the next intersection, it was the classic pirate move......the first few guys make their left hand turn with a green light, then the next several riders assume that they've entered the intersection on a green light, regardless of it being red. Well, today, I decided, I wasn't going to perform a moving violation or risk being a minivan hood ornament, so I stopped at the red light. That was great for me, but the following guy on the HD Electro-Glide didn't see it that way and stopped in a heap after hitting the back of my bike. I felt the bump but wasn't knocked over. In the confusion, while other guys were picking up the fallen HD, I flipped up my face shield and asked the guy where he hit my bike. He said he hit something, but getting out of the intersection was the most important thing at the time. Yes, I had to get the bike in gear (i.e., retracting the kickstand allows the starter to engage) and was a bit shaken and concerned relative to any damage. However, my bike seemed to function normally.

Since the lead group continued, I stayed with the ride until the next stop when I could check the rear of my bike for damage. I dismounted, checked the rear of my bike for damage and then asked the HD rider where he hit my bike. IIRC, he said, "I think my fairing hit your rack". He said nothing more and remained mounted on his bike. There was no expression of regret for hitting my bike or any concern about damage to my bike or me. Once again, the crowd was ready move, so there was no chance to ask for names and insurance information, but none was offered.

At the next stop, I chatted with a fellow rider and noticed that the HD guy zoomed up to talk with the leader of the demo ride. And, later at the same stop was summoned to look at the some malfunctioning warning light on a demo bike. Hmm...it's pretty obvious that the HD rider is somehow connected with this whole demo event. At a subsequent stop, a young Ducati rider, who was functioning as a ride tail/sweep, identified the HD rider as a shop mechanic.

Now, what do you think the chances are that I'll go in that BMW shop for service? Think I'll ever consider their service department to be an asset relative to a vehicle purchase at that dealership?

A few simple words..........."I'm sorry I hit your bike. Let's see if everything is OK" That would have changed the outcome, completely.

sounds horrible. I don't do group rides, for many reasons, your experience being one of them.

So, any damage to your bike?

sounds horrible. I don't do group rides, for many reasons, your experience being one of them.

So, any damage to your bike?

From what I can see, no. But I did feel the bump, so I'm still checking.

But, If I do find something...........then I have to go confront the guy at his place of employment. I'm really hoping that doesn't happen.

Just go see the guy. Tell him you are sorry his bike fell over. If you find damage just nicely ask for his insurance info. Take the high road. He was both unhappy and embarrased at the time.

No thanks to group rides-these folks don't ride their bikes daily, thus, it's a crap shoot on their skill level!

No thanks to group rides-these folks don't ride their bikes daily, thus, it's a crap shoot on their skill level!

Joe,

Beyond the skill level issue, which I don't want to claim superiority relative to others, I find the group dynamic to be the most problematic. Traffic lights have their own period which is likely inconsistent with the size of the group or the time of approach. But everybody wants to stay with the group.

I guess, I'm better suited for meeting at a destination.

Damages may have to come from the Demo ride organizer

If Mechanic was riding as part of a demo ride and not on his personal bike you may have to seek damages from the organizer of the demo ride. Glad no injuries. I avoid group rides except with my club that are well led and managed with experienced riders.

Curiosity here....

How many people were on this group ride? Were any rules regarding stop lights ("Do not go through red lights"), course changes ("Someone will wait at all intersections where we are turning onto a different route"), etc. discussed at a pre-ride meeting? I understand you arrived as the group was departing but these are sort of standard conversations. I'm happy you weren't injured and that your bike seems to have sustained little/no damage and can't blame you for not wanting to participate further.

As others have suggested, just approach the fellow who bumped you and have a polite conversation. Nothing to add to what Mr. Glaves has posted.

If Mechanic was riding as part of a demo ride and not on his personal bike you may have to seek damages from the organizer of the demo ride.

Then I'm the SOB that killed the only dealer / club activity that they've generated.....That's not my intent in making the post.

FWIW, the appropriate party to make a claim against is the owner of the motorcycle that hit you. Their insurance is primary, and they will determine who to subrogate against. I would assume you notified your insurance company of the hit ? If not, do so ASAP, as your policy probably has a notification requirement for coverage..

I gave up on group rides when the local mostly HD group did monthly rides to various places around Louisiana. Great idea except when 80-100 bikes show up and string out over 3 miles or more. Then there is the problem noted above about skill levels. There are good riders, and there are obvious rolling Darwin Award candidates. There are those who insist on riding within touching distance of someone next to them and are playing "CHiPs" trying to ride side by side. Offset staggered positions have no meaning to them, despite the ride captain briefing that. One of my pet peeves is the geniuses who will ride into an intersection and hold traffic so the rolling roadblock can pass in review. Since I have strong LEO association, that kind of leaves me cold because it is clearly illegal activity.

My final group ride was the usual Christmas ride to the Veterans home. That always attracted lots of riders. Every year there was some kind of incident with somebody getting hurt because they can't ride properly. My last ride I was riding in the rear (safely away from the bad riders) and noticed everyone stopping ahead. Seems a rider on a trike managed to run off the road into the woods. Someone riding behind said he dropped the right rear tire off the road and went down into the ditch into the woods. Amazingly he managed to clear between a telephone pole and its guy wire (8 foot clear path, luck prevailing) and land in some brush and small trees. Trike totaled, he sustaining a bad cut on his leg requiring a hospital run via EMS.

I now only ride with people I know really, really well. They are mostly fellow MSF instructors, and mostly on BMW's of various kinds.

I give the "know your group" speech in classes about things to watch out for on the road to avoid getting killed.

Be careful out there :thumb

Curiosity here....

How many people were on this group ride? Were any rules regarding stop lights ("Do not go through red lights"), course changes ("Someone will wait at all intersections where we are turning onto a different route"), etc. discussed at a pre-ride meeting? I understand you arrived as the group was departing but these are sort of standard conversations. I'm happy you weren't injured and that your bike seems to have sustained little/no damage and can't blame you for not wanting to participate further.

As others have suggested, just approach the fellow who bumped you and have a polite conversation. Nothing to add to what Mr. Glaves has posted.

In prior rides there was a brief discussion and the ride was broken into two smaller groups with staggered departure times. Smaller groups seem to be a good option.

Relative to the polite conversation, I tried to do that when I asked where his vehicle contacted mine. I was remiss in not expressing sympathy towards his situation. But, then again, I'm not the best person for the role of Saint or Pope Francis.

Wow, sorry you got bumped into. And I'm glad nobody was hurt in this incident.
People never cease to amaze me. I'd feel horrible if I bumped into another bike, and would definitely want to be certain the rider and their bike weren't hurt.

I sort of feel like the dealership or whoever was in charge of the organization of the ride should have made some effort to talk to you and the *other* guy- separately, together, or both. I sort of see the fact that zero effort was made to make sure everything was square between you two and that both parties and their bikes were OK as a shortcoming on the part of whose ever ride it was.

However, I think Paul nailed it: take the high road. At this late juncture, I'm not sure what you'd accomplish in trying to "reach out" to anyone over this (unless you find there IS damage) .

Best you can do is thank your lucky stars & chalk it up to experience.

I used to go on "group" rides as well. but they were mostly poker runs from bar to bar. :dance

Don't do THAT anymore, believe me! :)

One of my pet peeves is the geniuses who will ride into an intersection and hold traffic so the rolling roadblock can pass in review. Since I have strong LEO association, that kind of leaves me cold because it is clearly illegal activity.

My LEO association is a lot weaker............Art museum security guard and animated football traffic signal / Winnebago barrier during my college days. However, that self-appointed traffic cop move truly pisses me off and surely the state patrol officers are aware of it. But, in central and, especially, southcentral PA, riding in a pirate herd apparently gives you that privilege.

I'd feel horrible if I bumped into another bike, and would definitely want to be certain the rider and their bike weren't hurt.

While your lawyer will tell you to admit nothing, your insurance company hopes you diffuse the situation by acknowledging any liability and offering assistance. Of course, the lawyer will profit from his advice while the insurance company hopes to avoid additional expenses.

What you experienced is exactly why I won't do any group rides with strangers. It hurts me to not take part in some of the charity rides that are advertised, but like was stated previously, all it takes is one rider that's over his head, either from inexperience, inexperience on that particular bike, or, in a group of 100, you can be sure at least a couple are impaired.

I ride with a small meet-up group of riders and we limit the rides to 10 or 12 participants. We never roll thru stops or continue after traffic signals have changed. The leader always checks that everyone has gotten thru a turn or intersection, and we know that she will be waiting down the road if we get split up, until she sees all of us and our sweeper riding up. We also keep to the staggered formation with adequate following distance. In my LEO days I had to train and ride in the side-by-side in a single lane style, and I hated every second of it and I knew the other riders were top notch. I can only think that the reason that style survives, is that it "looks cool".

My LEO association is a lot weaker............Art museum security guard and animated football traffic signal / Winnebago barrier during my college days. However, that self-appointed traffic cop move truly pisses me off and surely the state patrol officers are aware of it. But, in central and, especially, southcentral PA, riding in a pirate herd apparently gives you that privilege.

While in my car, I was stopped in the middle of an intersection by a helmetless, shirtless pirate on a Famous American brand bike while about 15 of his comrades filed thru the red light. No wonder the general public think motorcyclist are a bunch of nuts.

Our local "classics" club met up with two groups ( one from southern CA, the other from northern CA) for a ride from Santa Maria to the Solvang Vintage Motorcycle Museum in Solvang, CA. The Betteravia Road Chevron station that was the rendezvous point looked like downtown Sturgis on a Saturday afternoon. No American iron, but there must have been 75 motorcycles there.

I fell in trail but based on the rider behavior ahead of me decided in quick order that I'd just break off and unwind some back roads by myself on the way back home.

Three's a crowd.

Back