• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fuel pump/filter access hole a wee bit too small?

Has anyone else felt, as I do now, that getting the pump/filter assembly out of the fuel tank on the 1100s is next to impossible? I turn it around, lift it this way and that and it is always catching on something. That something is usually the end of the arm for the fuel level float. I figure if I bend that by accident, the fuel level will forever be off. Could BMW have made the hole any smaller? Another 1/2 inch would be a big help. I took the same units out of a K75 in five minutes. The videos on YouTube show the whole unit just practically falling out of the tank. I don't think so. Any tricks to getting this thing out of the tank without damage?

All this just to change the fuel filter. I now see why people rig them to be outside the tank.

As my Grandpa use to say, "you have to hold your mouth right" and then it comes right out. After I changed mine the first time I move it outside with no problems.

Practice makes perfect.
It helps to have a foam pad & old towel to lay the tank on so the fear of scratching is minimized.

Same on the 1150GS (lines just a tad too short), but people (OK, one person) who have done it a lot swear you can pull the assembly out and get at the fuel filter without disconnecting the lines.

Same on the 1150GS (lines just a tad too short), but people (OK, one person) who have done it a lot swear you can pull the assembly out and get at the fuel filter without disconnecting the lines.

The float arm assy is easily damaged if forced out. I always remove the vent lines.

Has anyone else felt, as I do now, that getting the pump/filter assembly out of the fuel tank on the 1100s is next to impossible? ...

The first time I changed the fuel filter on my 94 R1100RS there were some dark thoughts. It was like getting a 5 gallon bucket out of a 3 gallon hole.
I eventually got the assembly out and have changed the filter a number of times since. Happily, the first time was the most difficult.

Better luck is assured if one has on-hand the o-rings for the fuel fill cover and the fuel filter cover. If the internal vent lines are pulled loose it will
likely be necessary to remove the fill cover - the o-ring may swell and not be able to be re-used. If you have the replacement o-ring handy, fate
may smile on you and there will be no need to use the spare.

To replace the fuel filter cover o-ring, I use a dab of grease to hold the o-ring place and use a criss-cross gradual tightening method for the cover screws.

I know some folks like using the one-time fuel line clamps (called oetiker clamps) which require a special tool to install. I am not among those folks.
There are special clamps for fuel injection lines that are re-usable (not standard hose clamps). I much prefer the re-usable clamps. YMMV!!!

If you have a second set of O rings you can alternate between the 2.
The swollen ones will shrink back to be usable the next tank service.

You can also put it back together wrong but you have to be a real moron to put everything back together before you figure that out. Don't ask me how I know that.

I just went through the process of removing the pump/filter unit a couple of times. Here are a couple of observations. Mark the location of the plate in relation to the tank, couple of big dots with a magic marker on the plate and tank give you the proper location. When I wiggled the plate out I removed the single use vent clamps and replaced them with this style http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/product-p/fp-231hoseclamp.htm. I also bought a new filter and sock from these folks,considerable savings from the dealer, sock was a Bosch part, filter Mahle. I put a brass ring on the drain line so I knew which was which when I hooked them up, saves me from blowing into the line to figure this out. I had bought a new O-ring and new vibration pad from dealer, this time the unit wiggled in. Musta been holding my mouth right this time.

All good responses. I particularly liked the one about "walkaways". Yes, I did that several times. I found that sort of turning the unit on it's back seemed to help get it out, for anyone who is in the same predicament. I used the same method getting it back in and, of course, it went in a lot easier than it came out. I should have ordered a new "sock filter", as mine had to be sewn closed at the end where they apparently always split apart. I'll live with it. I would like to get a little riding in before the snow falls.

Back