• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rented '16 1200GS for 3,600 km in Ireland: Crosswinds 2 up : NO PROBLEM, Wow

Only one wethead post mentioned "crosswinds" and it was old.

Thought I'd pass on my astonishment after 13 days riding, 3,600km, 2 up mostly on the Atlantic coast of Ireland on a '16 1200GS.

Abrupt endings on high hedges and walls with crosswinds over 50 mph didn't budge the front wheel in the least. Our helmets would suddenly veer but not the bike. I could not believe how well it handled crosswinds due to weather, hedges, bridges, oncoming buses etc. Didn't matter if the stock windscreen was cranked up or down. We had the three large OEM boxes on board as well.

I'm coming from an '85 K100RS that I've ridden over 150,000 miles in North America. It veers a few inches, maybe a foot in those conditions.

We enjoyed the trip, the people and the bike.

Original Poster Here: Rented from Celtic Rider, outside of Dublin

Our trip was awesome. We rented from Celtic Rider, outside Dublin. They were awesome as well.

Touring Ireland with Celtic

Only one wethead post mentioned "crosswinds" and it was old.

Thought I'd pass on my astonishment after 13 days riding, 3,600km, 2 up mostly on the Atlantic coast of Ireland on a '16 1200GS.

Abrupt endings on high hedges and walls with crosswinds over 50 mph didn't budge the front wheel in the least. Our helmets would suddenly veer but not the bike. I could not believe how well it handled crosswinds due to weather, hedges, bridges, oncoming buses etc. Didn't matter if the stock windscreen was cranked up or down. We had the three large OEM boxes on board as well.

I'm coming from an '85 K100RS that I've ridden over 150,000 miles in North America. It veers a few inches, maybe a foot in those conditions.

We enjoyed the trip, the people and the bike.

Greetings - I'm heading over to start of 15 day ride with Paul @ Celtic Tours (wild atlantic) on 10/3/16 and wondering if you have any pointers or special spots to 'commend. Also, did you take your gear or rent it? Helmet on board the flight? Thx.

Helmets on plane:

My helmet and both Sena's unclipped and two clear and one dark shield in one large checked Luggage, just under 50 pounds. My wife carries-on her full face Shoei in its Shoei bag with drawcord shoulder cord as her "purse" with wallet and few things inside. I wear my leather jacket and pants and boots over presentable shorts and carry moccs in my carry on backpack with heavy stuff like lock, tools(no knives), electronics, . She wears her (hiking) boots has a drag around fishnet carry on for her riding jacket and pants and rainsuit.

This has now worked for two round trips over the Atlantic.

Sorry for the late response.

Back