Thread: Rented '16 1200GS for 3,600 km in Ireland: Crosswinds 2 up : NO PROBLEM, Wow

Rented '16 1200GS for 3,600 km in Ireland: Crosswinds 2 up : NO PROBLEM, Wow

Only one wethead post mentioned "crosswinds" and it was old.

Thought I'd pass on my astonishment after 13 days riding, 3,600km, 2 up mostly on the Atlantic coast of Ireland on a '16 1200GS.

Abrupt endings on high hedges and walls with crosswinds over 50 mph didn't budge the front wheel in the least. Our helmets would suddenly veer but not the bike. I could not believe how well it handled crosswinds due to weather, hedges, bridges, oncoming buses etc. Didn't matter if the stock windscreen was cranked up or down. We had the three large OEM boxes on board as well.

I'm coming from an '85 K100RS that I've ridden over 150,000 miles in North America. It veers a few inches, maybe a foot in those conditions.

We enjoyed the trip, the people and the bike.

Sounds like a great trip, it's on my bucket list! Where did you rent the GS?
    14 R1200GSA, 93 R100R, 15 FJ-09, 15 Road King, 07 Moto Guzzi Griso No car is as fun to drive as any motorcycle is to ride.

Original Poster Here: Rented from Celtic Rider, outside of Dublin

Our trip was awesome. We rented from Celtic Rider, outside Dublin. They were awesome as well.

Thanks 75038 I've noted Celtic BMW in my UK folder.
    14 R1200GSA, 93 R100R, 15 FJ-09, 15 Road King, 07 Moto Guzzi Griso No car is as fun to drive as any motorcycle is to ride.

Touring Ireland with Celtic

Quote Originally Posted by 075038 View Post
    Only one wethead post mentioned "crosswinds" and it was old.

Thought I'd pass on my astonishment after 13 days riding, 3,600km, 2 up mostly on the Atlantic coast of Ireland on a '16 1200GS.

Abrupt endings on high hedges and walls with crosswinds over 50 mph didn't budge the front wheel in the least. Our helmets would suddenly veer but not the bike. I could not believe how well it handled crosswinds due to weather, hedges, bridges, oncoming buses etc. Didn't matter if the stock windscreen was cranked up or down. We had the three large OEM boxes on board as well.

I'm coming from an '85 K100RS that I've ridden over 150,000 miles in North America. It veers a few inches, maybe a foot in those conditions.

We enjoyed the trip, the people and the bike.
    Greetings - I'm heading over to start of 15 day ride with Paul @ Celtic Tours (wild atlantic) on 10/3/16 and wondering if you have any pointers or special spots to 'commend. Also, did you take your gear or rent it? Helmet on board the flight? Thx.