Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CO2 cartridges or air compressor?

CO2 cartridges or air compressor?

I'm always worried about encountering a flat in the middle of nowhere, though in 40 years of riding, it hasn't happened yet.

What is your preferred method of tire inflation in that circumstance? Old school CO2 cartridges or one of these newer compact air compressors?
    Dave
    2015 R1200rtw San Marino Blue
    2005 R1200rta Red - sold; 1999 R1100 Blue - sold; 1998 R1100S Yellow - gone
    1975 R90/6 - My first love, and still in the garage

Quote Originally Posted by utahskies View Post
    What is your preferred method of tire inflation in that circumstance? Old school CO2 cartridges or one of these newer compact air compressors?
    I'm a belt-and-suspenders guy; I carry both compact air compressor and CO2 cartridges (around 10 or so of those). I used to also carry a small bicycle handpump.

I like redundency, because I really like redundency.....

I also carry both, but I'll use the CO2 first. Easier and faster, no load on the electrical system.

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    I am trying to make this decision also. Does CO2 leak out of the tire any faster than air? Seems I read that somewhere or maybe dreamed it - not sure which.

Quote Originally Posted by mikegalbicka View Post
    I am trying to make this decision also. Does CO2 leak out of the tire any faster than air? Seems I read that somewhere or maybe dreamed it - not sure which.
    IMHO the "leakage speed" of CO2 vs "air" vs Nitrogen is moot. If you're using the CO2 to fill a tire, I think the quality of the plug repair will be a bigger concern.

Which is why I have a back-up compressor. Once you're out of cartridges you're out.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    If you want to be sure- there is the Slime 12V compressor-

If you want to be positive- there is the Cycle Pump-

If someone comes out with a Schrader adaptor for the 88grm Co2 cartridges.....with a shutoff valve it may change my mind on Co2. The 12grm- Meh.

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I've been using a Slime compressor for over 10 years. Used it on bikes, cars & trucks without a problem. Mostly use it on other peoples tires. Baled a biker out the other day because his CO2 cartridges leaked while trying to fill his tire. And the stations pump had a damaged chuck.
    Ed Kruse
    '16 R1200RT Ebony
    Naples FL
    "Just Kruse'n"

Quote Originally Posted by justkrusen View Post
    his CO2 cartridges leaked while trying to fill his tire.
    With my kit you have to attach the cartridge to the hose, but not tight enough to puncture it, then the hose to the valve, then tighten the cartridge to puncture and fill. Then remove hose from the valve and then remove cartridge from the hose. Any other order will cause leakage.

Article on available compressors:

http://www.roadrunner.travel/2015/01...le-tire-pumps/

Harry

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Air compressor is more reliable and gives you a 2nd chance. I stopped to help a guy once, we found and plugged the hole, and hooked up mu Slime pump, it seemed slow to build pressure so we started looking and found a 2nd hole!!! After plugging that it pumped up normally. If I only had co2, he would have been out of luck as it would have all leaked out while plugging the 2nd hole.

Moto pumps makes some great small pumps that take up no more room than co2.

http://motopumps.com/
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    Air compressor is more reliable and gives you a 2nd chance. I stopped to help a guy once, we found and plugged the hole, and hooked up mu Slime pump, it seemed slow to build pressure so we started looking and found a 2nd hole!!! After plugging that it pumped up normally. If I only had co2, he would have been out of luck as it would have all leaked out while plugging the 2nd hole.

Moto pumps makes some great small pumps that take up no more room than co2.

http://motopumps.com/
    "More reliable and 2nd chance" got my attention. I think I'll go with a compressor. Thanks much.
    Dave

Out There Somewhere ricochetrider's Avatar
    You don't get much tire inflation from a Co2 cartridge. I had a flat, made the repair, and injected my 4 cartridges- it equated to 20 lbs or less of air. To really, seriously inflate a tire that needs 40 lbs of air... well, one poster above mentioned he carries 10 cartridges.

Compressor.

Stop n Go has a compressor that uses motor power- remove a spark plug, insert compressor attachment, and pump up your tire.

http://www.stopngo.com/engine-powere...release-lever/

A friend of mine has one of these, and I remember being VERY impressed with it. He did say "it's expensive".... It's THE most expensive option, almost without doubt. BUT.

http://www.stopngo.com/cycle-pump-ad...ll-trucks-too/
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

I was getting about 5 lbs/cartridge so 7 got me home fine. Today I should receive my cyclepump and 10 more replacement cartridges. Tomorrow I get the tire replaced and will be ready for the next mishap.

So much for the notion that CO2s are more compact. I had no idea I needed at least 7-10 of them. I went with the compressor from Dynaplug, and having given it a test run, it seems like a solid choice.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by ricochetrider View Post
    You don't get much tire inflation from a Co2 cartridge. I had a flat, made the repair, and injected my 4 cartridges- it equated to 20 lbs or less of air. To really, seriously inflate a tire that needs 40 lbs of air... well, one poster above mentioned he carries 10 cartridges.

Compressor.

Stop n Go has a compressor that uses motor power- remove a spark plug, insert compressor attachment, and pump up your tire.

http://www.stopngo.com/engine-powere...release-lever/

A friend of mine has one of these, and I remember being VERY impressed with it. He did say "it's expensive".... It's THE most expensive option, almost without doubt. BUT.

http://www.stopngo.com/cycle-pump-ad...ll-trucks-too/
    The key to using one of these compression pumps is to make sure you ground the spark plug while it's in the spark plug cap so the spark plug cap. Otherwise you may destroy a coil. Voice of experiments, as my friend Ozzie would say. I did this on an old airhead. Personally, I'd never use one again. I have a compact electric pump (from Walmart), on each of my bikes, along with a plug kit on the ones with tubeless tires and tube, patch kit, long tire irons and rim savers on the ones with tubes.
    Gary Phillips - #6322
    Wildland Firefighter, Retired, Riggins, ID
    Heartland Moto Locos BMW Riders
    '77 R100/7 Dirt Hack, '83 R80ST, '85 K100RS w/EML, '93 K1100LT, '00 R1100RS