• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Black Block of Styrofoam

As I was looking at my cooling system weep hole, I glanced up and noticed the generous block of black Styrofoam mounted above the forward edge of the left cylinder. Now, considering that I keep bike for 15-yrs, I'm wondering what that block of Styrofoam will look like on my next purchase.

Are you sure it isn't some piece of packing material? When I brought my new 2008 RT home from the dealer it had a very large tie -down strap all tangled up inside the steering column/front forks. I found out when some of it unwound and started flapping against the outside tupperware. :eek

I looked at the Max BMW parts fiche for the R1200RS. Under section 46 there is a listing for some foam blocks used for "heat protection." Here is the URL for the entire bike (http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=57054&rnd=07012015), but section 46 is the appropriate place to find the "heat protection" blocks.

You're probably looking at part number: 46 63 8 537 933 The description is "THERMAL PROTECTION, LEFT, FOAM INSERT" and its price is $18.59.

As I was looking at my cooling system weep hole, I glanced up and noticed the generous block of black Styrofoam mounted above the forward edge of the left cylinder...
Nothing like that on my RTW, but perhaps the factory thought it was a GS not an RS and put it in there for buoyancy for high-water crossings. ;-)

Nothing like that on my RTW, but perhaps the factory thought it was a GS not an RS and put it in there for buoyancy for high-water crossings. ;-)

Cheaper than the ferry from Halifax to St. John's. Think she would make it?

Heat protection

I suspect it's to keep hot air from the radiator exhaust from roasting our privets. Had a K1100RS. It cooked me once I moved to Tucson. Worked with the dealer and tried everything they recommended. Nothing helped. Aluminum tank and radiator cooked the boys. Traded it in on an R1100RS. Great bike. Very god for hot weather ridding with the jugs put in the air.

K bike was a bit of pig anyway.

There are two such blocks on the K13GT, one on each side down low inside the fairing. Heat control and noise suppression would be the two most likely reasons for them, IMHO. They will be just fine until they get lost or accidentally tossed during service, or unless they get drenched by a fuel leak. And what are the chances of those foam bits being available in the parts channel 10-12 years from now?

Best,
DG

As I was looking at my cooling system weep hole, I glanced up and noticed the generous block of black Styrofoam mounted above the forward edge of the left cylinder. Now, considering that I keep bike for 15-yrs, I'm wondering what that block of Styrofoam will look like on my next purchase.

Of course not every part is expected to be a lifetime part. This should be commended as a very light, pretty inexpensive solution rather than criticized as something that won't last forever.

Many of the cars on the road today have styrofoam under the plastic bumper covers. I would expect it to last the life of the bike.

Of course not every part is expected to be a lifetime part. This should be commended as a very light, pretty inexpensive solution rather than criticized as something that won't last forever.

One has to be really careful with inexpensive solutions. If it conveys thoughtful design, that's one thing. If it conveys cheap, that's another.

Many of the cars on the road today have styrofoam under the plastic bumper covers. I would expect it to last the life of the bike.

Hmm........over on a helmet thread.......they say the styrofoam in my helmet only lasts 5-yrs.

I'm confused:scratch

But, seriously, I get your point.

Hmm........over on a helmet thread.......they say the styrofoam in my helmet only lasts 5-yrs.

I'm confused:scratch

But, seriously, I get your point.

I guess the small differences are less critical in the auto application?

Though I have noticed that my 4 year old helmet is sitting closer to my eyebrows. (Could that have something to do with thinning hair? Naw...)

Indeed. And a while back I hit a bunny rabbit with my 2014 Ford Focus. It is in the shop as I type. The bill - $2,200. The days of the 5 mph bumper are long gone, replaced by a bunch of expensive but throwaway plastic parts. Ugh!

There are two such blocks on the K13GT, one on each side down low inside the fairing. Heat control and noise suppression would be the two most likely reasons for them, IMHO. They will be just fine until they get lost or accidentally tossed during service, or unless they get drenched by a fuel leak. And what are the chances of those foam bits being available in the parts channel 10-12 years from now?

Best,
DG

At the current cost, buy a couple now, if the future availability is a concern.

Indeed. And a while back I hit a bunny rabbit with my 2014 Ford Focus. It is in the shop as I type. The bill - $2,200. The days of the 5 mph bumper are long gone, replaced by a bunch of expensive but throwaway plastic parts. Ugh!

How fast was the bunny going? I think at a speed greater than 5 MPH, so the bumper evidently performed as designed.

I guess the small differences are less critical in the auto application?

Though I have noticed that my 4 year old helmet is sitting closer to my eyebrows. (Could that eeehave something to do with thinning hair? Naw...)

One of those young members with hair. I see.

Back