• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Removal of Bluing on Chrome exhaust pipes

04r1150rs

ONE LESS HARLEY
I have an '04 R1150RS with about 5,000 miles with bluing exhaust pipes, unlke the R12C with dual wall tubes the RRS has single wall tubes which turn blue quicker, so what's the best product out there to remove it? If there is any such beast. Thanks

Replaced the '93 K11RS with the RRS in April, and I love the bike. It looks so much better than the KRS. The K was looking dated but the RRS still holds it's own in the looks department. Not to mention the ride and lack of heat off the left side. :german Even Harley riders have commented on it, some of them recognize a good bike, beleive it or not.

You may receive some good suggestions, but I am proud of the blue. Means my bike is ridden not just a trailer dolly. Of coarse my bike is filthy which also says it is ridden. Good luck. :bolt

Good Luck

If you ride regularly and can keep up with it more power to you. I thought I would try that with my GS and cleaned them once. They are a nice brown up front now.

I borrowed the stuff to clean mine but I think it was the oldest bottle of Mother's that was still semi-liquid.

ride safe.
Gabe

Has anyone else noticed that the 2 spark models have bluer headers than the previous models? I've checked it out at rallies. Maybe they burn hotter which would explain the slight increase in mileage.

I have the dual spark and yes they get fairly blue allright. I just take metal polish every now and then when the mud washes off and bring up the shine some but the blue effect stays there...kinda like a blue anodizing...cool. You will spend entirely too much time trying to keep them not-blue...an option would be some of the after market dual wall pipes that I have seen somewhere. Otherwise go and get the mud on and nobody will notice and we won't tell... :D

The pipes on my GS never really got blue, but have turned a kind of copper color. Anyway, I had a 94 RS (pearl) and the pipes turned a really beautiful almost purplish-blue, particularly in the area where they merged before entering the colostomy bag. Depends on what you like, but I think bluing looks cool.

I have a 94 RSL and pipes that turned blue about 6 years ago. I believe it happened after the gas vapor recycling canister got damaged (the bike leaned over on some soft asphalt and filled the can with gas). Someone told me the bike will run with a different mixture after that happens and cause it to run hotter. I went to a custom motorcycle shop and asked for help in getting the blue out and was told, basically that there is no remedy for this. I did try some liquid products and saw no improvement.
If someone has a remedy for this I too would love to hear back. :)

04R1150RS said:
I have an '04 R1150RS with about 5,000 miles with bluing exhaust pipes, unlke the R12C with dual wall tubes the RRS has single wall tubes which turn blue quicker, so what's the best product out there to remove it? If there is any such beast. Thanks

Replaced the '93 K11RS with the RRS in April, and I love the bike. It looks so much better than the KRS. The K was looking dated but the RRS still holds it's own in the looks department. Not to mention the ride and lack of heat off the left side. :german Even Harley riders have commented on it, some of them recognize a good bike, beleive it or not.

Have them coated by HPC. I did my SuperHawk 5 years ago and they still look great and clean easy. I am doing my RT this winter.
http://www.hpcoatings.com/motorcycle.htm

OK, give it to us straight.....does that Blue Job REALLY work?? I didn't think there were any chemicals that would remove the blueing.

Even when the blueing is removed (there are a few metal polishes that will do it with the power polisher) it will come back every time as a natural result of the steel heating through the temp ranges, such as the blue by the heads and the dtraw colour by the cat.

The double wall pipes are among the few solutions to permanantly hide the blue, or the ceramic or powder coat. I like that link above.

Back