• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Any good reason to have dealer do the 600 mile service ??

If the dealership does everything it is supposed to do then the price is a bit more reasonable and includes more than just an than an oil change. It is supposed to include observing a whole bunch of things to make sure the factory QC was adequate. That said, the price does seem high, but so do the hourly rates I've seen lately.

I just had this done too and the price was the same $389 for me. They also do the final drive, what gets me $40 for 180ml of final drive oil from bulk container. What adds up are shop charges, including disposal fees. The dealership is a good size with lots of people they all need to be paid, plus the dealership supports our local BMW club in a huge way so I don't mind paying because the dealership does give back to the club. I live over 80 miles each way, too many of those miles are very high traffic city miles so I do my own service but I do like to have the brake in service done by the dealer. They do go over a lot. They also found a fault with the instrument cluster, they sent this to the mother ship, a replacement is on order. My GS-911 doesn't show a fault. Nor do I see any problem but I'm sure this is a very pricey part plus labor to fix so I'm glad they got it. FYI it faulted 255 occurrences.

If there any good reason why the dealer has to do the 600 mile break in service ?
The only thing I can't do is hook it to a BMW computer / software :)

As an add-on to this thread - I'm in Canada and I would like to know what the normal price is for the first service at most dealers. Anyone care to share?

If the dealership does everything it is supposed to do then the price is a bit more reasonable and includes more than just an than an oil change. It is supposed to include observing a whole bunch of things to make sure the factory QC was adequate. That said, the price does seem high, but so do the hourly rates I've seen lately.

As Paul noted my dealer did ALL the checks and the tech spent a couple hours on the bike. But thanks ghat is my dealer and I can’t speak for all dealers.

As Paul noted my dealer did ALL the checks and the tech spent a couple hours on the bike. But thanks ghat is my dealer and I can’t speak for all dealers.

My dealer absolutely did not spend a couple hours on my bike.

This is the second new bike I've purchased from this dealer. They have good mechanics, but they sell so many bikes they take short cuts. I'm with you on the giving back to the dealer network thing, but this is a near $30K motorcycle. There is a limit to how much giving back I'm willing to do. I've support this dealership for years buying things I didn't really need for too much money.

Now they're making meg-bucks. I'm not the least bit concerned with their ability to break even. They don't support any local clubs to my knowledge. They pay their mechanics well and run a good shop unlike a lot of the joints in our area. Great, but they give me the same stories when they don't want to do something. Their labor rates are nuts. Things like these routine services are flat-rate and it's even higher because they spend minimal time on the bikes. I know because I waited for it.

My dealer absolutely did not spend a couple hours on my bike.

This is the second new bike I've purchased from this dealer. They have good mechanics, but they sell so many bikes they take short cuts. I'm with you on the giving back to the dealer network thing, but this is a near $30K motorcycle. There is a limit to how much giving back I'm willing to do. I've support this dealership for years buying things I didn't really need for too much money.

Now they're making meg-bucks. I'm not the least bit concerned with their ability to break even. They don't support any local clubs to my knowledge. They pay their mechanics well and run a good shop unlike a lot of the joints in our area. Great, but they give me the same stories when they don't want to do something. Their labor rates are nuts. Things like these routine services are flat-rate and it's even higher because they spend minimal time on the bikes. I know because I waited for it.

That’s a shame. My experience with the half dozen BMW dealers I’ve visited across the country has been positive. Sounds like it’s time for you to find a new dealer.

Back