Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Helite Turtle Airbag Hi-Viz Vest Review

Rally Rat

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    I do not yet see a list of venders planning to be at the SLC Rally, but my guess is there will be at least one vender selling air vests attending.
    Otherwise Kevin, just call Nicole at Helite in CA and mention my name. I had flown down to the AIMExpo in Orlando 2 years go at the behest of my editor (Not ON - different mag I also write for), tested the vest, got one to review, and couldn't be happier.

Never ride without one.

Besides, if they sell 3 more with my recommendation, I win an all-expense paid trip to Toadsuck, AR.

HELITE Turtle vest saved my hide!

March 25th, 2017 was a day I would rather forget. Long story short, I was rearended and thrown violently from my almost brand new R 1200 GS. As luck would have it + ATTGATT + HELITE I landed flat on my bike after a ballistic trajectory launched me up and over the car that hit me. From the waist up, not a scratch or a bruise. The horseshoe collar stabilized my helmet and my neck to the point where the helmet never even hit the ground!

I had hit the top box with my lower back and literally tore it off the bike but the vest had already inflated and I never felt the impact. By all rights I should have broken ribs, pelvis, back and possibly even my neck but I didn't.

Unfortunately, I hit my left femur hard enough to break it, so ended up at UCLA for a week. I work in the mc industry as a Freelance journalist/photographer/PR/copywriter with a personal emphasis on rider safety and training. While I was laying in the hospital bed, staring at the ceiling it occurred to me that I have a duty to share my experience with all of you in the hope that the word of this relatively cheap "insurance" is spread wide and far. PM me if interested in a very substantial discount on any HELITE product including the new jackets.Name:  IMG_6404.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  111.9 KB

Rally Rat

Smile

WOW! Hope you're healing well and will be back on two wheels yet this summer.

Thanks for posting. It's one thing for me to say I thought the Helite was the best air-bag vest on the market. It's another thing for your event to put the exclamation mark on any endorsement.

I hope many riders contact you. Getting rear-ended happens too often, and you're survival is a testimony on how the Helite was a 'game-changer' in the outcome.

I and my co-rider both faithfully wear our Helites whenever we ride.

Hope the bike gets fixed up as fast as you do.

Quote Originally Posted by ericmotoman View Post
    March 25th, 2017 was a day I would rather forget. Long story short, I was rearended and thrown violently from my almost brand new R 1200 GS. As luck would have it + ATTGATT + HELITE I landed flat on my bike after a ballistic trajectory launched me up and over the car that hit me. From the waist up, not a scratch or a bruise. The horseshoe collar stabilized my helmet and my neck to the point where the helmet never even hit the ground!

I had hit the top box with my lower back and literally tore it off the bike but the vest had already inflated and I never felt the impact. By all rights I should have broken ribs, pelvis, back and possibly even my neck but I didn't.

Unfortunately, I hit my left femur hard enough to break it, so ended up at UCLA for a week. I work in the mc industry as a Freelance journalist/photographer/PR/copywriter with a personal emphasis on rider safety and training. While I was laying in the hospital bed, staring at the ceiling it occurred to me that I have a duty to share my experience with all of you in the hope that the word of this relatively cheap "insurance" is spread wide and far. PM me if interested in a very substantial discount on any HELITE product including the new jackets.Name:  IMG_6404.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  111.9 KB
    I'm glad the vest helped you walk away. But I have to say, your story ending in the offer to make a sale on the jackets and vests sends a "mixed" message.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I started this thread about 7 weeks before my accident. I believe it is encumbent upon all of us to discuss and promote safer riding techniques and equipment improvements. When I first started riding 44 years ago, I came very close to losing a fatal argument with a very big tractor. As luck would have it, I narrowly escaped. Did I learn from that experience? Nope! Instead, I started thinking that I was invincible and that my luck would never run out. Eventually, witnessing the death of a close friend and horrible injuries to a total stranger, I woke up to the realization that Motorcycling is far more dangerous than we are willing to admit. In other words, my attitude has reversed itself completely.

Some years ago, I began promoting new, safer technologies as they became available. I lead by example, I speak at motorcycle seminar and events and I coach safer riding techniques. I do so without pay, simply in the hopes that lives may be saved.

Little did I know that a potentially fatal accident would befall me just a few weeks after I started this thread.

However, this gave me the unique perspective to that Comes with Personal Experience.

http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...lcome.1202146/

Quote Originally Posted by BMARC153920 View Post
    I'm glad the vest helped you walk away. But I have to say, your story ending in the offer to make a sale on the jackets and vests sends a "mixed" message.

'Walking away' with a broken femur? Did you seriously write that?

I started this thread about 7 weeks before my accident. I believe it is encumber upon all of us to discuss and promote safer riding techniques and equipment improvements. When I first started riding 44 years ago, I came very close to losing a fatal argument with a very big tractor. As luck would have it, I narrowly escaped. Did I learn from that experience? Nope! Instead, I started thinking that I was invincible and that my luck would never run out. Eventually, witnessing the death of a close friend and horrible injuries to a total stranger, I woke up to the realization that Motorcycling is far more dangerous than we are willing to admit. In other words, my attitude has reversed itself completely.

While I was laying in the hospital I decided that from now on, I would promote the new, safer technologies as they became available. Little did I know that a potentially fatal accident would befall me just a few weeks later. However, this gave me the unique perspective to that Comes with Personal Experience.

The initial cost of the HELITE airbag vest isn't super expensive, about the same as a first rate helmet:
    $ 649. However, as I mentioned earlier, there are avenues to obtain substantial discounts.

'Walking away' with a broken femur? Did you seriously write that?
    Lol I didn't mean it litterally.

Turtle

I wear mine all the time! I've noticed that even in the heat I get a fair amount of air past it and into my jacket. I'll put up with a little loss of airflow for the safety it provides.

Jeff

Rally Rat

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Aztecking View Post
    I wear mine all the time! I've noticed that even in the heat I get a fair amount of air past it and into my jacket. I'll put up with a little loss of airflow for the safety it provides.

Jeff

Similar experience.

Since you buy it over-sized, and it fits loosely around whatever jacket you prefer, it doesn't really add a lot of 'thermal penalty' to my riding ensemble.

IMO, best air-bag vest on the market.

Aren't y'all hot in that thing?
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS

Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post
    Similar experience.

Since you buy it over-sized, and it fits loosely around whatever jacket you prefer, it doesn't really add a lot of 'thermal penalty' to my riding ensemble.

IMO, best air-bag vest on the market.
    My opinion also, however, I haven't had any experience with other brands. I do however enjoy the increased peace of mine that comes with knowing I have the latest state of the art safety gear that will make a positive difference in a crash scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by shortythorne View Post
    Only during the summer months.
    Last edited by rangerreece; 08-06-2017 at 01:13 PM.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President

Quote Originally Posted by shortythorne View Post
    Yup, it gets warm. But I still get some air flowing through. And the peace of mind, is worth it.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

Rally Rat

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by daboo View Post
    Yup, it gets warm. But I still get some air flowing through. And the peace of mind, is worth it.

Chris
    Ditto

I started this thread about 7 weeks before my accident. I believe it is encumber upon all of us to discuss and promote safer riding techniques and equipment improvements. When I first started riding 44 years ago, I came very close to losing a fatal argument with a very big tractor. As luck would have it, I narrowly escaped. Did I learn from that experience? Nope! Instead, I started thinking that I was invincible and that my luck would never run out. Eventually, witnessing the death of a close friend and horrible injuries to a total stranger, I woke up to the realization that Motorcycling is far more dangerous than we are willing to admit. In other words, my attitude has reversed itself completely.

While I was laying in the hospital I decided that from now on, I would promote the new, safer technologies as they became available. Little did I know that a potentially fatal accident would befall me just a few weeks later. However, this gave me the unique perspective to that Comes with Personal Experience.

The initial cost of the HELITE airbag vest isn't super expensive, about the same as a first rate helmet:
    $ 649. However, as I mentioned earlier, there are avenues to obtain substantial discounts.

I for one would like further info regarding the "avenues to obtain substantial discounts". Thanks.
    '17.5 R1200GS
    Priors: '16 R1200R, '14 R1200GS, '13 K1600GT, '08 R1200RT, '04 R1150RT, '05 R1200GS, '73 R75/5 (LWB).