Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32

Thread: Helite Turtle Airbag Hi-Viz Vest Review

  1. #1

    Helite Turtle Airbag Hi-Viz Vest Review

    Hello All-

    Here is Moto Mouth #11 - my review of Helite's Turtle Hi-Viz vest, which is a mechanically actuated airbag you can wear over your favorite riding jacket!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI7iFZtuf70

    -MKL
    Moshe K. Levy
    Moto Mouth Moshe https://www.youtube.com/c/motomouthmoshe
    1973 BMW R75/5 / 1987 Yamaha YSR50 / 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer / 2015 BMW R1200RT

  2. #2
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    5,638
    Quote Originally Posted by moshe_levy View Post
    Hello All-

    Here is Moto Mouth #11 - my review of Helite's Turtle Hi-Viz vest, which is a mechanically actuated airbag you can wear over your favorite riding jacket!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI7iFZtuf70

    -MKL
    I was a demonstration dummy for the Helite folks at the Hamburg Rally. I was impressed with how the vest functioned and can see its application to motorcycling and other activities (i.e., immobilizing limbs during downhill skiing crash??). It's good technology, that will likely become standard equipment in the future.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    I was a demonstration dummy for the Helite folks at the Hamburg Rally. I was impressed with how the vest functioned and can see its application to motorcycling and other activities (i.e., immobilizing limbs during downhill skiing crash??). It's good technology, that will likely become standard equipment in the future.
    Unreal! I think I saw you there that day. It's a pretty nifty idea, that for sure. Rather shocking the first time it goes off though, right? I censored out some of my more colorful comments, and left in "OH MY GOD!"

    -MKL
    Moshe K. Levy
    Moto Mouth Moshe https://www.youtube.com/c/motomouthmoshe
    1973 BMW R75/5 / 1987 Yamaha YSR50 / 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer / 2015 BMW R1200RT

  4. #4
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    5,638
    Quote Originally Posted by moshe_levy View Post
    Unreal! I think I saw you there that day.
    If it was a really good looking guy, that was me.......

    Seriously, Moshe, I appreciate your efforts at product reviews. While everybody has an opinion, a thoughtful review can be extremely helpful to fellow riders.

    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

  5. #5
    Thank you!
    Moshe K. Levy
    Moto Mouth Moshe https://www.youtube.com/c/motomouthmoshe
    1973 BMW R75/5 / 1987 Yamaha YSR50 / 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer / 2015 BMW R1200RT

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    738
    Great review! Thanks for taking the time to do the demonstration and find a way to film it in slow-motion as well.

    I looked at both the Helite vest and the Hit-Air when I purchased my own a couple years ago. I apologize if I'm repeating myself now. On another sport-touring forum, one of the member was leading a group when he went straight and the road turned. (He has no recollection of what happened.) Anyway, he escaped with no road rash. The protective clothing and helmet he was wearing did its job.

    However...he had something like 17 broken bones in the rib cage, a fractured vertebrae and a ruptured vertebrae. They almost lost him. If he'd had an air bag vest on at the time, he probably would've walked away.

    It seems expensive, but one night in the ER will be more than the airbag vest.

    The Hit-Air MLV-PY vest I bought seems to do the same great job. Cost is about $520. (I have no connection with them except for being a happy satisfied customer.)

    Like Moshe wrote, you won't deploy the vest by just getting off the bike and walking away. It takes a good jerk on the tether to deploy the vest. However I dropped my bike a couple months ago. I was pulling out into a busy intersection when a teenager on a skateboard stepped in front of me. No fault on the teenager's part. He did have the light to cross. But I grabbed the brake and over the bike went. As I'm laying there on the ground against the curb, I realized I felt no impact with the ground or with the edge of the curb. The airbag vest had deployed just like advertised. And after buying a new C02 cartridge, I was in business again.

    Chris

  7. #7
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    5,638
    Quote Originally Posted by daboo View Post
    It seems expensive, but one night in the ER will be more than the airbag vest.

    Chris
    The typical copay on a ER visit is $200. After that, you have the deductible and then the 20% copay until you hit the out-of-pocket maximum. The $550 cost of these vests will come and go in a blink of the eye when measured in ER visit spend rates.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

  8. #8
    Thanks for the kind words, Chris. I'm trying my best to improve these videos, to try to show the viewers what is sometimes challenging to describe in words (in my articles.)

    -MKL
    Moshe K. Levy
    Moto Mouth Moshe https://www.youtube.com/c/motomouthmoshe
    1973 BMW R75/5 / 1987 Yamaha YSR50 / 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer / 2015 BMW R1200RT

  9. #9
    It is what it is. Bud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Long gone
    Posts
    7,414
    Due to your review, I'm shopping for one.

    Thanks!

  10. #10
    Rally Rat
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    5,320

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    I was a demonstration dummy for the Helite folks at the Hamburg Rally. I was impressed with how the vest functioned and can see its application to motorcycling and other activities (i.e., immobilizing limbs during downhill skiing crash??). It's good technology, that will likely become standard equipment in the future.
    Just got back from a 5,760 mile ride to the Pacific and back. Wore the Helite the entire trip - generated a lot of positive discussions across all brands of riders.

    Never ride without one again.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    The typical copay on a ER visit is $200. After that, you have the deductible and then the 20% copay until you hit the out-of-pocket maximum. The $550 cost of these vests will come and go in a blink of the eye when measured in ER visit spend rates.
    He's right you know.

    I have a hit-air vest. I'm not going to make a claim it works since I haven't been in an accident with it. I think $500 is well worth the cost against the risk. Any vest is better than no vest. If it only works once it's worth the price.

  12. #12
    Rally Rat
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    5,320

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by anglojaxon View Post
    He's right you know.

    I have a hit-air vest. I'm not going to make a claim it works since I haven't been in an accident with it. I think $500 is well worth the cost against the risk. Any vest is better than no vest. If it only works once it's worth the price.

    And, if it survives the abrasion of the slide with the air bladder intact, you can re-arm the vest right there and then and its back in service (at least, that's how my Helite works)!

    FYI, throw in the ambulance ride to the hospital (rarely covered 100% by insurance) and that brief ER visit exceeds a $1k

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    738
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post
    And, if it survives the abrasion of the slide with the air bladder intact, you can re-arm the vest right there and then and its back in service (at least, that's how my Helite works)!

    FYI, throw in the ambulance ride to the hospital (rarely covered 100% by insurance) and that brief ER visit exceeds a $1k
    The Hit-Air works the same way.

    Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

  14. #14
    Rally Rat
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    5,320

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by daboo View Post
    The Hit-Air works the same way.

    Chris

  15. #15
    SURVIVOR akbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Big Sky Country
    Posts
    7,628
    I do not yet see a list of venders planning to be at the SLC Rally, but my guess is there will be at least one vender selling air vests attending.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •