• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Left over 2015 r1200r or 2016 r1200r or r1200rt

motor4

So looking at a blue smurf left over 15' r1200r with 3,xxx miles on her. She down shifts hard into first gear. Can get very little for my trade, 2005 r1200rt, which happens to slip into first so easy you don't even know you are in it. The 05 is a fine ride, engine feels tight even at 44k miles on her.
BMW is offering its 0.9/60 and bmwmoa just sent a $500 off if you spend $1,500.

Rode the blue smurf, sadly the color is growing on my. Other then issue dropping into first gear at light she is a nice ride and smooth in all other gears.

So what say you bmw wet head owners -
*Live with the hard/loud clunk into first gear and get the smurf if price is right?
*Do a new 2016 r1200r, guessing black color
*Live large and spend extra for 2016 blue r1200rt even though I may not travel out of state with it?
*consider a GS low

My 05 large trunk would fit on the new rt believe and I do like bags to put a rain suite or leather in. Then there is the cost of windshield, side bags and trunk for the r1200r model which is yet extra cost. The gear shift pro did not do that much for me, just seems that would be hard on the transmission over time. Then there is the concern about the water pump leaking, it might seem.

Bottom line -
1. If you got the stripped down r1200r are you still smiling?
2. If you moved to a gs, anyone do the low model (I'm only 5'10 and 32" inseam) and if so any down sides to getting the low model. I wont' take it off road, 95% pavement.
3. Those stepping up to the r1200rt, ever feel she is just getting a bit heavy? I am 58 and it is weird though it seems the 16 model is harder to get off the side stand then my old 05 model.

Ok, thanks everyone. Ride safe and watch for the crazy cars turning left.

The '15 has a wet clutch; your '05 a dry one. They'll shift (and go into gear...or not) differently. What you describe for the smurfbike doesn't sound normal, and suggests the clutch isn't releasing completely when the clutch lever is squeezed.

But this is a dealer, right? If they have a demo LC twin and it shifts better, you might point out to the salesperson that the demo bike doesn't manifest the tough shift into first like the used bike does, thus having some evidence that something's awry withe the used bike. You could offer to meet their price providing they fix it.

Good insight, thank you. Weird thing is all others gears are smooth then again, though I did not test to confirm...the bike might have pulled ever so slightly when clutch was in when in gear and I was not attempting to move. I will have to ride it again to see since I could be mistaken one this last point though if not will have the dealer inspect it.

Don't forget you also get $400 off if you join the BMW Car Club of America.
I did this a few days before we bought or bikes and all we had to do is give the dealer our membership numbers.

*Live with the hard/loud clunk into first gear and get the smurf if price is right?

I would say 95% of the time our 2016 R1200RSs go into first gear without a clunk.

There is a difference between a clunk, a loud clunk, and "shifts hard into first gear". Some may think a clunk means the latter, when that is not true. Many BMWs are known for a clunk. It's harmless.

So looking at a blue smurf left over 15' r1200r with 3,xxx miles on her. She down shifts hard into first gear. Can get very little for my trade, 2005 r1200rt, which happens to slip into first so easy you don't even know you are in it. The 05 is a fine ride, engine feels tight even at 44k miles on her.

Rode the blue smurf, sadly the color is growing on my. Other then issue dropping into first gear at light she is a nice ride and smooth in all other gears.

*Do a new 2016 r1200r, guessing black color
*Live large and spend extra for 2016 blue r1200rt even though I may not travel out of state with it?
*consider a GS low

My 05 large trunk would fit on the new rt believe and I do like bags to put a rain suite or leather in. Then there is the cost of windshield, side bags and trunk for the r1200r model which is yet extra cost. The gear shift pro did not do that much for me, just seems that would be hard on the transmission over time. Then there is the concern about the water pump leaking, it might seem.

Bottom line -
1. If you got the stripped down r1200r are you still smiling?
2. If you moved to a gs, anyone do the low model (I'm only 5'10 and 32" inseam) and if so any down sides to getting the low model. I wont' take it off road, 95% pavement.
3. Those stepping up to the r1200rt, ever feel she is just getting a bit heavy? I am 58 and it is weird though it seems the 16 model is harder to get off the side stand then my old 05 model.

Ok, thanks everyone. Ride safe and watch for the crazy cars turning left.

With the dealer and customer incentives, you'll likely get a better deal on the new products. As others have noted, current incentives range from $750 to $950, depending on wethead model, plus $a 500 loyalty bonus for prior owners or $500 for new owners. Then, you can spend $48 for a CCA membership to get a $400 rebate.

Tell me of the suspension on your old bike? Is it stock? If it's been upgraded, the DESA suspension on the wethead R1200R (same as the RS) might not be all that much of an upgrade for you.

The throttle by wire vs cable is a different experience. If you're an old school BMW rider that used a throttle screw for several decades, it could very well drive you nuts. It can be minimized, but requires an additional $110~150.

Your message contained numerous references to bags and top boxes. I wouldn't assume any BMW bag is interchangeable from prior models. A Ztechnic shield for the R1200R costs $365. A GIVI top box will run $2~400 plus $180 for the adapter plate. A set of BMW side bags for the R1200R/RS runs ~$1000. In my opinion, if you want these features, it's best to buy a bike that includes them as standard items. Back-fitting the features to the R1200R will only increase cost and put you on bike with a non-paralever (tele-lever?) suspension. You'll have bags, but have to rely on electronics to provide the inherent anti-dive control of the RT suspension.

As Lee said, there should be no clunk with the wethead transmission.

As for the water pump? BMW has been selling water cooled bikes since 1985 with "to the grave" reliable water pumps

Yes indeed, the old throttle screw. Sort of miss the old days with my first bike a r75/5 1991 model. I am leading towards keep the old 05 r1200/rt. It needs a 42k service I am told and the tires are over 5 years old though have good thread. I purchased a low front seat, which is nice, and an extra low combo bmw seat (that thing is just too darn low for me to use).

Did not think about wet vs dry clutch nor drive by wire. Both are different then the old school bmws. A bit better and a bit not.

The new engine on the wet heads is nice and I see on Craigslist they now have the blue smurf down to $14,000 though as you point out by the time you add a windshield, bags and trunk the cost adds up darn fast. Of course the smurf could just be a local ride with a windshield and trunk only, old school in my book. Too bad the 2013 and prior small bmw case that fits on my 05 won't fit on the wet head with an adapter mounting plate (at least not that I know).

Does seem though discounts can start to add up after awhile...
Loyalty bonus $500 (was unaware of that one)
CCA membership $400 rebate (did not know that one either)
BMW $750 off new r1200r - Córdoba (blue) color
Bmwmoa $500 off when spending $1,000
Will have to ponder a bit more on this.

I do have a 2014 gl1800 that I just picked up. A Harely dealer said it had abs, turned out it did not sadly though did have build in nav...for what that is worth on a 2014 goldwing model. Thus that could be a long distance rider if I did not wish to take the 05 r1200rt out of state (not that it won't do just find doing such duty). Had then return the dealer fee to me though they would have taken it back if I wanted.

...as you point out by the time you add a windshield, bags and trunk the cost adds up darn fast....

I have an '05 ST, and went through this analysis when the new RS came out last year. In the end, I rationalized that the '05's are still pretty good machines, and have three fewer operating systems than the LC boxers. Oh yeah and not to forget the telelever. Maybe we'll need to arrange for t shirts with a new motto: "Simpler by choice"? :D

In the end the decision to upgrade may come down to whether someone is prepared to take a nick out of their (pre)retirement portfolio. :)

And welcome to MOA.

Last edited:
I have an '05 ST, and went through this analysis when the new RS came out last year. In the end, I concluded the '05's are still pretty good machines, and have three fewer operating systems than the LC boxers. Maybe we'll need a new motto: "Simpler by choice"? :D

In the end the decision to upgrade may come down to whether an owner feels comfortable with taking a nick out of his retirement portfolio. :)

And welcome to MOA.

Some of us..................apparently a very few "some" .......... aren't retired! ;)

Just call me.......Sonny.

To throw my 2 cents in on the GS part of your question. You might want to ride the standard height model. I just bought a 2016 and I thought for sure that I would need the low suspension model (at 5'7", 29" inseam), but I ended up buying a standard suspension height as I can just about flat foot it. I went from an 04. RT which was actually more of a reach for me.

Don't forget you also get $400 off if you join the BMW Car Club of America.
I did this a few days before we bought or bikes and all we had to do is give the dealer our membership numbers.

I do know that in order to get the cash as a member of the Car Club on the purchase of a 4 wheel vehicle you must be a card holding member for a full year before you receive that benefit, so in essence you can't use it till your second year. Kinda puts the stops on people joining for one year only to get the rebate. I tend to think it works the same way on the bikes.

I do know that in order to get the cash as a member of the Car Club on the purchase of a 4 wheel vehicle you must be a card holding member for a full year before you receive that benefit, so in essence you can't use it till your second year. Kinda puts the stops on people joining for one year only to get the rebate. I tend to think it works the same way on the bikes.

It does not appear to be that way. See:

"UP TO $750 OFF THE ULTIMATE RIDING MACHINE:
THE 2016 BMW CAR CLUB OF AMERICA MEMBERS PURCHASE PROGRAM

Effective: January 1 - December 31, 2016

BMW Motorrad USA is pleased to announce a special motorcycle purchase program for all BMW Car Club of America Members. This program provides the following allowances based on the purchase of a new BMW motorcycle of their choice. Only new, unregistered BMW Motorcycles qualify.

BMW Model Series Incentive
S-Series*, $750
K-Series, $500
R-Series, $400
G-Series, $250
F-Series, $250
C-Series, $250
*HP4 model is excluded.

Purchasers are eligible for one (1) BMW Car Club of America Members Purchase incentive during the program calendar year (January 1, 2016 through December 31, 2016). Recipient must be an active BMW Car Club of America member at the time of the motorcycle delivery. Motorcycles purchased and reported under a name other than the eligible BMW Car Club of America member applicant do not qualify. Sales documentation and claimant ID must match.

Motorcycles must be purchased through an authorized BMW Motorrad USA dealer. Dealers are responsible for complying with all applicable sales tax regulations regarding customer incentives for their state. Purchases through a 3rd party or BMW dealers outside the USA are not eligible. Motorcycles sold to brokers or not delivered to the ultimate retail purchaser by dealership employees are not eligible for sales support.

This incentive may be combined with any other monthly retail customer incentive* available at the time of purchase for a qualified model (unless specifically excluded in the incentive program rules), which is defined as any new, previously unregistered BMW motorcycle sold between the dates of January 1, 2016 through December 31, 2016. BMW Motorrad fleet, auction, HP4 models or official P2 demonstrator units do not qualify.

*May not be combined with other special purchase programs including BMW MOA / BMWRA / VBMWMO Offers, Military, Emergency Services, MSF RiderCoachSM, Ride Smart Reward or BMW Group / Center Employee or Valued Vendor Purchase Programs.

BMW Motorrad USA reserves the right to make changes to the Program and/or terminate the Program at any time without prior notice. See your authorized BMW Motorrad dealer for more details.
"

This is separate from the car rebate handled thru CCA. In the case of cars, you actual apply for the rebate thru CCA. According to this information on this promotion, as long as you're a CCA member, Motorrad USA will provide the incentive to your dealer to lower the purchase price.

Back