• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

MOA Owners News gift coupon

I find much value in the MOA without the latest program but would be very pleased to exercise a $500 discount on BMW Motorrad motorcycle accessories purchased over $1500 as outlined on the the card in the August 2016 ON. This could include useful things such as gloves, helmets, jackets, etc. This is not a dream - this is a program that MOA has negotiated with BMW Motorrad. All we are asking is to ensure that Canadians be included.

Additional question; if Canada is included then would the dollar values quoted be the the same but in Canadian dollars or would it be a prorated amount?

As I have commented before in a previous thread, and to go from the sublime to the ridiculous, just because there is a promotional programme in the USA does not mean that every country in the world has to have the same programme. If BMW Canada chooses not to participate, that is their business. Would I enjoy having the additional discount of which you speak? Of course, but I'm not going to get my knickers in a twist because I can't. And not only are you asking for the programme to apply in Canada, you're also expecting to have the exchange rate taken into account? Seriously? You want it MORE free or a bigger dollar discount? :laugh

Now, I hope you've taken advantage of the 2% discount on the purchase of a new BMW motorcycle available to you if you are a member of a charter club in Canada? :thumb

If there was any offer that YOU wanted to take advantage of but were denied because of where you live, would you feel the same way as you do now?

I heard that BMW France has a heckova offer on accessories of which I cannot take advantage. I'm feeling disrespected because of where I live. :laugh

Quick question: How did you come by your online name? Its priceless!

And not only are you asking for the programme to apply in Canada, you're also expecting to have the exchange rate taken into account? Seriously? You want it MORE free or a bigger dollar discount? :laugh

I am sorry for you since you do not understand nor seem care to discourse in a respectful manner.

I have been dealing with dealerships since 1984. Some are excellent. Some suck! Some lose Service Bulletins! Some don't know about recalls. The BMW only ones are best. Those with 4 Japenese and a couple of other brands are the worst. Suppose you are getting stuff from 6 franchisors? Pretty easy to lose track, huh?

Take the stuff about deals or specials, Show it to them. Educate them. Get a good relationship with a dealer. Nurture it. You will be a winner.

I am sorry for you since you do not understand nor seem care to discourse in a respectful manner.

C'mon Bog, I haven't insulted you in any way. I respect your right to an opinion. I just don't agree with what you've said.

And I'm the last person for whom you want to feel sorry. :D

And, as usual, Mr. Glaves makes a lot of sense.

I think the point Squiffy's trying to make is that when, as Canadian members of the BMWMOA, we've asked about the 'America' part, we've been assured that 'America' does not mean strictly the USA, but the whole of North America.

If that's true, in my opinion, promotions and benefits offered to the membership should endeavour to include all members in North America. If the particular provider of a service is USA based only and unable to accommodate members outside of the US (for legal reasons or whatever), then the MOA should make an effort to find a substantially equivalent service for those members. To tout a variety of member services and benefits as a reason to join and/or renew that are unavailable to a sizeable portion of that membership who live within the club's self described membership area is very disappointing, to say the least. It's not that we joined to get free stuff; it's just that if a membership bonus is being offered, we'd appreciate being included.

I think the point Squiffy's trying to make is that when, as Canadian members of the BMWMOA, we've asked about the 'America' part, we've been assured that 'America' does not mean strictly the USA, but the whole of North America.

If that's true, in my opinion, promotions and benefits offered to the membership should endeavour to include all members in North America. If the particular provider of a service is USA based only and unable to accommodate members outside of the US (for legal reasons or whatever), then the MOA should make an effort to find a substantially equivalent service for those members. To tout a variety of member services and benefits as a reason to join and/or renew that are unavailable to a sizeable portion of that membership who live within the club's self described membership area is very disappointing, to say the least. It's not that we joined to get free stuff; it's just that if a membership bonus is being offered, we'd appreciate being included.

IIRC correctly, Ontario, Alberta and BC have per capita MOA membership rates which exceed the average for US states. Accordingly, MOA leadership should be mindful of your comments.

In other words, keep the customer happy.....

There certainly seems to be a very high participation level on this forum by our Canadian members. I can understand being irritated by being excluded from any offer/program promoted by the MOA. It is less about the details of the offer then it is about being excluded. I don't see a solution so long as BMW operates differently on either side of the border.

I have been dealing with dealerships since 1984. Some are excellent. Some suck! Some lose Service Bulletins! Some don't know about recalls. The BMW only ones are best. Those with 4 Japenese and a couple of other brands are the worst. Suppose you are getting stuff from 6 franchisors? Pretty easy to lose track, huh?

Take the stuff about deals or specials, Show it to them. Educate them. Get a good relationship with a dealer. Nurture it. You will be a winner.

Paul, your words here are spot on, concerning nurturing a good relationship with a specific dealer. In any transaction of two or more participants, the customer holds the upper hand by controlling the money side of a transaction; the vendor or whatever title goes with that side of the transaction also controls something the customer wants. How much of that "want" that is satisfied during the transaction is partially dependent on the attitude of the customer, so developing a good relationship is paramount to creating a win-win transaction. Just my opinion....

There certainly seems to be a very high participation level on this forum by our Canadian members. I can understand being irritated by being excluded from any offer/program promoted by the MOA. It is less about the details of the offer then it is about being excluded. I don't see a solution so long as BMW operates differently on either side of the border.
My sentiments exactly Kevin.

My point is however, is that:

1 - BMW International (BMW Group) has been slightly strict in requiring/requesting that all charter clubs use a standardized Logo and "branding" structure that is dictated by "BMW Group"
2 - Both BMW Canada and BMW USA (BMW NA) are subsidiaries of BMW Group
3 - If BMWMOA can't get BMW Canada to enter into joint activities, than, on behalf of the membership that is being excluded, I feel it is incumbent on BMWMOA to ask BMW Group if they would be willing to assist in trying to make the case to BMW Canada that their participation is desired and expected, barring any legitimate issues that would preclude such involvement.

I agree 100% that being two separately run companies makes this difficult but they do, after all, both answer to BMW Group, and if BMW Group wishes to continue to ask BMWMOA to request that it's member clubs all follow the same branding, etc., than they have to accept that it falls back on them to demonstrate that they consider the relationship with BMWMOA a two-way street and that BMW Group require it's members (BMW Canada and BMW USA) to also act in a coordinated and standardized manner, working together where there is an overlap of members/clients.

That doesn't mean that those efforts will be successful, but I would like BMWMOA to try to ensure that all members have access to as many of the advertised benefits of membership as possible, regardless of location within it's coverage area. That is never going to be 100% achievable, but neither should it be expected 90%+ would be great and we're likely there or close to it.

1 - BMW International (BMW Group) has been slightly strict in requiring/requesting that all charter clubs use a standardized Logo and "branding" structure that is dictated by "BMW Group"
3 - If BMWMOA can't get BMW Canada to enter into joint activities, than, on behalf of the membership that is being excluded, I feel it is incumbent on BMWMOA to ask BMW Group if they would be willing to assist in trying to make the case to BMW Canada that their participation is desired and expected, barring any legitimate issues that would preclude such involvement.

I agree 100% that being two separately run companies makes this difficult but they do, after all, both answer to BMW Group, and if BMW Group wishes to continue to ask BMWMOA to request that it's member clubs all follow the same branding, etc., than they have to accept that it falls back on them to demonstrate that they consider the relationship with BMWMOA a two-way street and that BMW Group require it's members (BMW Canada and BMW USA) to also act in a coordinated and standardized manner, working together where there is an overlap of members/clients.

That doesn't mean that those efforts will be successful, but I would like BMWMOA to try to ensure that all members have access to as many of the advertised benefits of membership as possible, regardless of location within it's coverage area. That is never going to be 100% achievable, but neither should it be expected 90%+ would be great and we're likely there or close to it.

Hard to disagree with any of this. :thumb

Once again Canada is not included. For an international club supporting an international brand this is disappointing.

I fired off this beauty to BMW Motorrad Canada this morning. Let's see if and how they respond.

"Good morning, I would like to bring to your attention a situation that has developed that puts BMW Motorrad Canada in a less than supportive position for the Canadian members of the BMWMOA (BMW Motorcycle Owners of America).

The BMWMOA is the premiere club for owners of the marque with over 30,000 members throughout the world, and the BMW group is celebrating it’s 100th anniversary this August.

The MOA is currently running 2 promotions in the August edition of the Owners News magazine to help celebrate BMW’s anniversary- http://www.bmwmoa.org/page/100th

These promotions are being well received but are not available to residents of Canada.

The promotional video for the 100th anniversary has this message-

“It’s time”

“It’s time for a broader perspective”

“It’s time to forge new paths”

“From today to tomorrow”

“Together we’re creating history, the history of tomorrow”

I also agree it’s time.

It’s time for BMW Motorrad Canada to work closer with BMW Motorrad US and the BMWMOA to support their Canadian members.

It’s time to treat Canadian and US promotions as one entity.

It’s time for BMW Motorrad Canada to take a leadership role in making this happen.

I urge you to reach out to BMWMOA to see how BMW Motorrad Canada can start taking the relationship from it’s current position of exclusionary to Canadian members to one that includes owners regardless of geographic location. That would be a history of tomorrow I would be proud of.

I look forward to receiving your response.'

Squiffmiester,
I find your comments both pithy and relevant. If you get a response from Canada corporate please post here.

My point is however, is that:

Folks, all I did was get a little PO'd and decided to do something about it. I had to start somewhere so I went "local" and emailed BMW Motorrad Canada, who have yet to respond (but it's only been a day).

The quoted members have hit the nail on the head. Well done folks :thumb

But we do have a bit of an elephant in the room: my currently unanswered request for any of our club leadership to comment on this statement:

"I trust that BMWMOA did, in fact, make an effort to get BMW Motorrad Canada to join in on this promotion and were unsuccessful"

Now I'm not looking to start a fire here, but rather determine IF there was an attempt made to include the Northern Neighbours.

I know our leadership doesn't like to comment on internal club business on the forum, and I understand why. If I got a private message from a newly elected board member (hint, hint) saying "Yes we did" or "No we didn't" it will give us an idea who we need to talk to in this process and I promise to not squeal and to use the info constructively.:ca

Squiffy,
Ken Engleman at ken@bmwmoa.org is our director of business development. Regarding any current promotions for BMW NA is something he has worked probably 6 months ago. I highly encourage you to contact him with this issue. I do not know if he works with BMW Canada on these promotions, or more likely if Canada works with him. He would be able to articulate the nature of the relationship. Truth: even my dealer in Pensacola does not participate in the ADVANTEC oil promotion. When I contacted NA as a customer I received a response that reminded me that the dealerships were independently owned and that the program was limited to participating dealers. As consumers we do have some purchasing power in getting the dealers to participate, as Paul indicated in his earlier post. However, I understand that power is compromised in Canada if BMW CAN refuses to honor the rebates, than the profit margin loss would be coming directly out of the dealers pocket.

Again contact Ken on this issue, I suspect strongly he's the man with the answer, and knowing Ken like I do, if members want it he will pursue it with a passion.

Well, not quite ALL of us.

For the life of me, I've never seen so much bellyaching about free stuff - be it a liter of over-priced oil or a neck tube I've never seen anyone wear.

Carry on....

And now the thread is all the way to page four.

There's a BMW dealership about 15 miles from me, which is about 15 more miles than I would be willing to ride for the free neck tube. I wouldn't ever be seen wearing that on the road. :nyah

Thank you Reece. I will contact him and get back to the collective with some info, but don't expect it for a week or so. Heading out of town for a project and will be incommunicado until I return.

And now the thread is all the way to page four.

There's a BMW dealership about 15 miles from me, which is about 15 more miles than I would be willing to ride for the free neck tube. I wouldn't ever be seen wearing that on the road. :nyah

I really like mine.
It's not very noticeable when wearing it.

It was a nice day, so I decided to go for a ride. I needed a liter of final drive oil and decided to drive to the multi brand dealer 60 miles from us, VanWall in Indianola Iowa.
I had the MOA coupon in my wallet and asked the parts guys if they were familiar with the MOA free gift.
They told me they knew about it because several MOA members had been in with the coupon, but they had not been able to find the info from BMW on how to deal with it.
I explained they had to mail in the coupon to BMW, but I had no idea of which department to mail it to.
They were very nice about the whole thing and said they had been handing out a free T-shirt to riders that come in with the coupon.
They were doing this at there own expense. I already have a Neck Tube, so a free T-shirt worked for me :)

Back