• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

MOA Owners News gift coupon

It is my understanding that this is a joint promotion by BMW Motorrad USA and BMWMOA. That being the case, I trust that BMWMOA did, in fact, make an effort to get BMW Motorrad Canada to join in on this promotion and were unsuccessful, however, we have no way of knowing that this point.

Would our leadership care to comment on the above?

Same issue!!!!!

I must pass this issue along.

I get the MOA magazine like all members do. In the magazine was an offer for MOA members only. One was a discount for $$ towards clothing and etc if you purchase a bike from BMW. The other a "gift" worth $19.00 for MOA members only. No purchase necessary.

Sounds great right?

Here I am in Anchorage Alaska. I went into BMW bought some "needed products" and had my BMW MOA card and "free gift certificate, original copy as stated". Well, they said "What in the heck is this?" I explained. They handed it back to me and said "we don't honor this. We have no idea what it is" So on that note before I go and make a fool of myself again, does anyone know what is going on? Is Alaska BMW Void from this gift? Is Anchorage Alaska another planet? ....Cannot wait to go south where it is warmer and the possibility of the BMW shops knowing what to do with the certificate are possible!!!

I fear for the person who walks into BMW in Anchorage and buys a new BMW and wants to use the other certificate that states you get I think, $500 towards clothing or whatever and they say "What is this? Sorry we do not honor that".....YIKES!

FWIW I find myself more out of curiously as a customer and an MOA member researching these issues. I'm getting educated. As recently as last Wednesday I was in the Pensacola dealership talking to staff. Ken Englman also is talking to dealership personnel trying to drill down on the lack of standardization in implementation of promotions. Talking to the Sales manager at Adventure Motorsports, Graham, I learned that a lot of the break down is coming from BMW NA specifically their DSC bulletine website where dealerships get their information from NA. From what I could gather the website is the channel where NA "pushes" Everything to the dealers. And by everything I mean mostly car stuff. A recall on a 2009 328i sedan would be buried right there with the ADVANTEC oil promo. Coupled with no effective search engine and an anemic bulletine that may or may not explain how a dealer actually files the claim or rebate and you have at least one variable to the problem. Graham said he and another sales manager from a different dealership had a discussion with the NA regional rep and was made aware of the problem.

Regarding BMW NA and BMW...Canada? I need to do some more research. I was under the impression NA covered Canada. So much to learn. I feel like I own some of these issues now so I take it upon to do my research and seek avenues to facilitate solutions.

...Regarding BMW NA and BMW...Canada? I need to do some more research. I was under the impression NA covered Canada. So much to learn. I feel like I own some of these issues now so I take it upon to do my research and seek avenues to facilitate solutions.
Unfortunately Reece, I am quite certain they are different entities and actually, from what I've heard, don't co-operate with one another. The feed-back that I've gotten from those that have had to deal with both and tried to get them on the same page is that BMW International has not enforced the idea that they are part of an overall whole and therefore should have the same objectives and should recognize that it is not only in their best interest, but BMW International really needs to actually make it a requirement that they work together as a family and be supportive of each other (not support each other but at least be supportive and collaborative).

I believe that BMW Motorrad Canada is a division of BMW Canada, and BMW Motorrad USA is a division of BMW of North America, LLC. However, I believe that untrue to it's name, BMW of North America, LLC only deals with the US and no other parts of of North America and that BMW Canada is a completely separate company under BMW International. That, at least is what I've been told by folks in the past.

The thing to identify is if BMW Canada is part of BMW of North America, LLC.

I used to race a BMW M3 (the car took two separate Canadian National Class titles) and there didn't appear to be any cooperation between the two groups for sourcing parts, etc.

I can't go to any dealers. A free neck tube-

BMW_Easy_Tube_small.jpg

will probably cost me a new GSA :)

Have to stick with HF flashlights.

OM

The thing to identify is if BMW Canada is part of BMW of North America, LLC.

The fact is that they are completely separate corporate organizations. BMW NA handles the US, and markets, supports dealers, trains, provides warranty support for BMW cars and motorcycles. It appears that BMW Canada does the same for cars in Canada, and BMW-Motorrad Canada does the same for BMW motorcycles in Canada. Note that I say "appears" as corporate divisions are not my specialty.

Alaska, Canada, Chicago - at least we are all in the same boat...

Now I feel almost bad about having brought up this topic. :type At least we are all united in misery about our dealers not participating; that's also a way to build community, if you think about it. Just not the way BMW and the MOA had intended... :beer

At least we are all united in misery about our dealers not participating; that's also a way to build community, if you think about it.

From what I've heard, lack of dealer/distributor support was one of the reasons for forming the MOA. Together, the old owners assumed they could figure-out how to keep their toys running.

Please note, I might be wrong in this interpretation.....

So, you are saying it's just like in the good old days?

Thinking about it, it also makes sense that the last people a dealer wants to attract are the ones coming in looking for freebies. Hell, they might scare paying customers away, or might inadvertently drop that you could service your own bike!

In the meantime, while i'm still waiting for the phone call from Countryside, I got an email from them telling me about a BMW and MOA event on August 20th. Free give-aways! Bummer; I think that is a Saturday, otherwise I might have been tempted to stop by on the way home from work.

At least we are all united in misery about our dealers not participating....

Well, not quite ALL of us.

For the life of me, I've never seen so much bellyaching about free stuff - be it a liter of over-priced oil or a neck tube I've never seen anyone wear.

Carry on....

Now I feel almost bad about having brought up this topic. :type At least we are all united in misery about our dealers not participating; that's also a way to build community, if you think about it. Just not the way BMW and the MOA had intended... :beer

Don't. I for one appreciate very much your reporting from the field. Its what we call in the military HUMINT (Human Intelligence, what many consider the most valuable source of intel from which to base ones actions and decisions upon.)

For the life of me, I've never seen so much bellyaching about free stuff - be it a liter of over-priced oil or a neck tube I've never seen anyone wear.

Carry on....

It's actually more than that. One such program that I'm finding isn't being executed as briefed (In addition to the ones already mentioned) is the one year free trial membership to the MOA with the purchase of a new BMW bike from a dealership. A lot of these programs are hit and miss at the dealerships. As their execution directly affects our members, our membership numbers, growth and potential retention, It's important we work to get this sorted. The Regional Coordinator program I think can do a lot to fix this through dealership interface, once the program becomes more robust. More RC's capable of reaching more dealers. In the interim for the pensacola dealership anyways, I've worked hard as an customer for years to advocate that the dealership recognizes and supports the MOA and its members. I have had some success. As the staff continues to create and provide more dealership targeted promotions for members its incumbent upon the members to let us know how the programs are working. Open session minutes from the rally aren't published yet, but I'll lead with a bit from the minutes here as it pertains to the conversation and issue. Ken Engelman, Director of Business Development, briefed in the open session board meeting at Das Rally that he could be contacted anytime by members with issues regarding the 87 member benefits we have and if a member has a request for a future benefit. As I feel its important to get the benefits we do have working correctly I encourage members who use these benefits and have issues to contact Ken directly at ken@bmwmoa.org In the minutes I left his email as a link in the hopes that the link will remain in the digital version on the ON for ease of use for members to contact him. These promotions are a direct result of his hard work and he is very enthusiastic about them and wants to ensure their success. He's already called the Pensacola dealership on my behalf this month trying to get to the bottom of some of these issues.

Hope this helps. Stay on top of the issues, you have a lot of committed people working hard to ensure the members are taken care of.

It's actually more than that. One such program that I'm finding isn't being executed as briefed (In addition to the ones already mentioned) is the one year free trial membership to the MOA with the purchase of a new BMW bike from a dealership. A lot of these programs are hit and miss at the dealerships. As their execution directly affects our members, our membership numbers, growth and potential retention, It's important we work to get this sorted.

I agree that if there are publicised programmes promoting certain offers to our members, they should be executed accurately and on a timely basis. On the other hand if people join the MOA only because of the prospect of free stuff, what is the value of membership? Personally, I couldn't care less if I got a free whatchamacallit or a reduced price doohickey because I'm a MOA member. But that's me. Others are free (there's that word again) to spend their time chasin' the dream of free stuff.

I agree that if there are publicised programmes promoting certain offers to our members, they should be executed accurately and on a timely basis. On the other hand if people join the MOA only because of the prospect of free stuff, what is the value of membership? Personally, I couldn't care less if I got a free whatchamacallit or a reduced price doohickey because I'm a MOA member. But that's me. Others are free (there's that word again) to spend their time chasin' the dream of free stuff.

I find much value in the MOA without the latest program but would be very pleased to exercise a $500 discount on BMW Motorrad motorcycle accessories purchased over $1500 as outlined on the the card in the August 2016 ON. This could include useful things such as gloves, helmets, jackets, etc. This is not a dream - this is a program that MOA has negotiated with BMW Motorrad. All we are asking is to ensure that Canadians be included.

Additional question; if Canada is included then would the dollar values quoted be the the same but in Canadian dollars or would it be a prorated amount?

Carry on....

Perhaps you missed my point? This isn't at all about free stuff. Right now I'm feeling the value of MY membership has been diminished because my international club, which follows an international brand celebrating a milestone event, has created an offer that I cannot participate in due to my geographic location. If there was any offer that YOU wanted to take advantage of but were denied because of where you live, would you feel the same way as you do now?

coupon

Not sure what's up with Countryside BMW...Gateway BMW in St. Louis knows all about the BMW Motorcycles and BMW MOA joint promotion that is exclusively for BMW MOA members.

Neither the Tulsa BMW shop nor the Oklahoma City shop knew anything at all about it. Had a crowd at the okc shop with coupons in hand. Not a good thing so hope somebody notices and does something about it. mt

free stuff

Neither the Tulsa BMW shop nor the Oklahoma City shop knew anything at all about it. Had a crowd at the okc shop with coupons in hand. Not a good thing so hope somebody notices and does something about it. mt
Nobody I know cares about stuff being free ($19.00); we use the notice as a "reason" to go visit the dealers. I try to get my friends to go there and visit and drink coffee while we plan things. It is useful if everybody is on the same page. Let's try again. mt

Back