• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Calling all my Vancouver Island Compadres

BobbyB26

Throwing together a group run to Vancouver Island in 3 weeks. Camping near Comox, BC and taking "loop out" rides from there. Looking for a ride report/ road report from anyone who lives in the area or who has recently been thru these areas.... From Comox we have 4 possible loop-out rides we can choose from:

1- Comox to Port Renfrew
2- Comox to Port Alice
3- Comox to Gold River/ Washington Mtn
4- Comox to Tofino

Any areas to avoid? Road construction? Bear poo on the road at mile marker ??.....you get the picture. Also, any points of interest that we can try to weave into our days would be cool. Thanks guys!

RCMP Roadblock

Didn't go to any of the places you listed so I can't provide any info. But did ride out to Cape Scott from Port Hardy. The road was very pot holed and muddy. But it was a fun ride. If you meet any log trucks they don't budge - they have the right-of-way.

Also, experienced a first... went through an RCMP roadblock that was stopping only motorcyclists just out of Sayward to check if they had their motorcycle endorsement. We were all ok. Two young kids were seen pushing their bikes down the road and the stop was in a really remote area. They had a long, long way to go to any civilization.

Campbell River to Gold River will keep you on your toes. A fun ride. :thumb

And Coombs to Tofino is also enjoyable albeit with a fair amount of traffic this time of year.

The Port Renfrew loop from Victoria is a great ride. Allow about 4 hours. The road between Port Renfrew and Lake Cowicahan is pretty good but there are a few heaves you don't notice until it is to late to slow down. Overall a very fun ride. If you are coming from Comox it will probably be an eight hour day to do the loop and get back to Comox.

The Port Renfrew loop from Victoria is a great ride. Allow about 4 hours. The road between Port Renfrew and Lake Cowicahan is pretty good but there are a few heaves you don't notice until it is to late to slow down. Overall a very fun ride. If you are coming from Comox it will probably be an eight hour day to do the loop and get back to Comox.

Yep, about 8hrs is what I was figuring. We came thru that area last year and really liked that road from Renfrew to Lk Cowichan, but I distinctly remember those whoops as we got closer to Renfrew....I was glad I could stand up just a bit and allow the bike to move under me. If I remember right, the road from Renfrew to Souke was lumpy too?? I was thinking about heading back up thru Cowichan on the way back and avoid the whole Victoria area...should I reconsider?

Yep, about 8hrs is what I was figuring. We came thru that area last year and really liked that road from Renfrew to Lk Cowichan, but I distinctly remember those whoops as we got closer to Renfrew....I was glad I could stand up just a bit and allow the bike to move under me. If I remember right, the road from Renfrew to Souke was lumpy too?? I was thinking about heading back up thru Cowichan on the way back and avoid the whole Victoria area...should I reconsider?

I would still go that way. If you have not ridden it from the lake Cowichan end I think you will like it. the scenery seems completely different going that way, especially from Port Renfrew to Sooke. since you are aware of the whoop-de-dos you will be fine. It is one of my favourite rides.

First of all, I am not from there, but have spent a fair amount of time there. All of your planned rides should be good. On the ride to Tofino, there is the Old Country Market in Coombs where they have a sod roof and goats on the roof, and Cathedral Grove is well worth a stop. Try and include the Malahat pass either on the way to or from Port Renfrew. There is a restaurant in Port Renfrew with a sundeck/patio overlooking the ocean. There is an inn or restaurant along the Malahat that was called the Malahat Inn or Malahat Chalet which is on the east side of hwy. 1 and is more easily accessed while northbound. (Also has a deck and a great view of one of the ocean inlets, I believe it is called Finlayson Arm).

If you have more time, you might look into what was once known as the Sunshine Coast loop. It would involve ferry crossings, departing from Comox to Powell River, Saltery Bay to Earl's Cove, Langdale to Horseshoe Bay and then Horseshoe Bay to Departure Bay (Nanaimo). If you want to slow the pace down at some time, the old highway 19A runs along the ocean through Qualicum Beach and right up to Comox with a short section joining up on the island hwy (19). If you want to really go in depth in your planning, there is a map book available online, "Destination Highways - BC" which I have found helpful in locating lots of interesting roads throughout BC. I think they also do a book and map for Washington as well. Hope all this helps.

First of all, I am not from there, but have spent a fair amount of time there. All of your planned rides should be good. On the ride to Tofino, there is the Old Country Market in Coombs where they have a sod roof and goats on the roof, and Cathedral Grove is well worth a stop. Try and include the Malahat pass either on the way to or from Port Renfrew. There is a restaurant in Port Renfrew with a sundeck/patio overlooking the ocean. There is an inn or restaurant along the Malahat that was called the Malahat Inn or Malahat Chalet which is on the east side of hwy. 1 and is more easily accessed while northbound. (Also has a deck and a great view of one of the ocean inlets, I believe it is called Finlayson Arm).

If you have more time, you might look into what was once known as the Sunshine Coast loop. It would involve ferry crossings, departing from Comox to Powell River, Saltery Bay to Earl's Cove, Langdale to Horseshoe Bay and then Horseshoe Bay to Departure Bay (Nanaimo). If you want to slow the pace down at some time, the old highway 19A runs along the ocean through Qualicum Beach and right up to Comox with a short section joining up on the island hwy (19). If you want to really go in depth in your planning, there is a map book available online, "Destination Highways - BC" which I have found helpful in locating lots of interesting roads throughout BC. I think they also do a book and map for Washington as well. Hope all this helps.

That second paragraph almost perfectly describes our route last June...up along the Sunshine coast to Powell River, across to VI and down to Sydney. Gave us just enough of a taste, that we have been targeting VI as a place we needed to get "back too". This trip is going to be VI centric, so your first paragraph is all good stuff....thanks.

Campbell River to Gold River route

The road from Campbell River to Gold River is a biker's dream. It will test your skills and perhaps your nerve on decreasing radius turns. Elk,deer and bear cross this road,so keep your eyes peeled. There is a bar and a restaurant in Gold River.There are also lots of these in Campbell River. Whales also transit very close to shore past Campbell River. Cheers from Campbell River.

Back