• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

OK...Who's got that hideoous front end squeak!!!

mrmrsnct

Spoke with MAX service, they said there is "No bushing replacement that they know of" and to "Squirt some silicone spray on the bushings, joints etc."

well, that lasted about ........ 100 miles. And I don't know which bushing or joint it is, so I tried to hit everything.

Doesn't do it until you've been riding a while.....but it does it everyday now. :(

Front end squeak

I had a 2013 GT. Traded it back to a GS this past spring. Anyway, mine developed a squeak last summer coming back home to Arkansas from New York. Stopped in PA at dealer in State College they couldn't find a problem. Said maybe the front tire was put on too tight.. So, when I got home to AR I called my dealer, Bentonville BMW and they told me it was most likely the front shock, as he had already changed several. It was and covered by warranty.. Good luck. I bet it is your front shock

If it is the front shock........

I had a 2013 GT. Traded it back to a GS this past spring. Anyway, mine developed a squeak last summer coming back home to Arkansas from New York. Stopped in PA at dealer in State College they couldn't find a problem. Said maybe the front tire was put on too tight.. So, when I got home to AR I called my dealer, Bentonville BMW and they told me it was most likely the front shock, as he had already changed several. It was and covered by warranty.. Good luck. I bet it is your front shock

...They're not saying so or suggesting they change it.....certainly not before my warranty runs out.

Front end squeak

My riding buddy commented that my bike was particularly quiet. I told him, it's not warm enough out. On a long, hot ride to Birmingham, AL the squeak came back. The problem is I can video it but can not replicate it when the dealer has it. The mechanics or good, but the are light and don't have enough time to have the problem occur. (About 20-30 minutes on a hot day)

They know about my complaint; the next step is to have a good video to take it to the dealer.

I called my dealer and told him what it was doing. He said you need a shock. He ordered it and put it on when it came in. I bet corporate has slowed the dealers down on replacing them..

Squeak

I purchased a used 2012, the previous owner said it had developed the squeak, dealer replaced the shock under warranty with the updated version and the problem went away.
Good luck.

2013 k1600 gtl

I developed "the Squeek" 1.5 years into my warranty period. Went specifically with an appointment to the dealership for this problem ONLY. The service manager said we rarely get something like this. The service tech said he has never run across this problem. I was grilled thoroughly to see if I ride in the rain frequently LOL, but said that mostly happens when touring as I don't as a rule go out riding when its raining. In the end the tech thoroughly squirted the shock and bushing with lubricant but it only worked for 5-10 minutes. This "service" was performed once more over the next year, and with me "making sure that it is noted on a service ticket of which I was assured, and they would let me know if BMW comes up with the fix. Well, warranty has run out and I changed my service to another dealership who stated "unfortunately there is not a record of this service". So, I'm out of luck with the bmr Gods. I was told that MOST owners resort to Wilburs shocks, but the ride is more stiff. For now, ear plugs totally block out the sound so it doesn't spoil the ride.

I have not heard that the Wilburs are more stiff at all. In fact you can tell them what your normal payload weight is on the bike, and they will adjust the shocks accordingly before sending them back to you. I'll be changing out to Wilburs this winter, as my stock shocks are definably over the hill.

Trpt16

I have a 2015 K1600GT that started doing the front end squeak after riding all day long. I took it to the dealer and he said he couldn't hear it, but he only rode it for a little while. I only have 12000 miles on the bike and I want to get rid of the squeak before I go out west this summer. Does anyone know for sure what causes it. At least then I could go into the dealer and insist that the bad part be replaced under warranty.

K16 squeak

I have a 2015 K1600GT that started doing the front end squeak after riding all day long. I took it to the dealer and he said he couldn't hear it, but he only rode it for a little while. I only have 12000 miles on the bike and I want to get rid of the squeak before I go out west this summer. Does anyone know for sure what causes it. At least then I could go into the dealer and insist that the bad part be replaced under warranty.

My 2016 K16GTL started squeaking right after the warranty expired. I turn my radio up and ride faster and between the wind noise and radio volume, the squeak goes away.

2014 K1600 GT intermittent but continuous squeak

I have the squeak. Started the first year of ownership (bought new April of 2014). The bike has spent several months at the dealership (basically all of the winter of 2015). It's been back in several times outside of that. I have about 3,000 in trips to the dealership which is about a 300 mile round trip. They have replaced most of the front end, culminating with a new shock last Fall. I'm now out of warranty and the squeak is back. I am not a happy camper.

Front End Squeak

My 2014 K1600 GTL developed the imfamous front end squeak at 18,000 miles. It coincided with a service interval so I asked my dealer, Mischlers, to check it out. My bike was delivered to me new in February of 2014 with shorter shocks from Hyper Pro. So if the problem is with the shocks, as some owners have claimed, it happens with after market shocks as well. Mischlers thought that the shock mounting point was the problem, so they ground some extra side clearance, and then lubed everything up. I then commenced on a 6 week 7,000 mile trip to CA and back from WI. The squeak returned the first day of the trip, and seemed worse on hot days. I just ignored it on the trip, but wonder what long term damage is occurring. A squeak is indicative of friction and if lube only lasts a few hours, WTF is a person to do?

Back