Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: OK...Who's got that hideoous front end squeak!!!

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Central Ct.
    Posts
    15

    OK...Who's got that hideoous front end squeak!!!

    Spoke with MAX service, they said there is "No bushing replacement that they know of" and to "Squirt some silicone spray on the bushings, joints etc."

    well, that lasted about ........ 100 miles. And I don't know which bushing or joint it is, so I tried to hit everything.

    Doesn't do it until you've been riding a while.....but it does it everyday now.

  2. #2
    IBA# 5819 61996's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Apple Valley, MN
    Posts
    3,574
    Comes and goes with the ambient temperature.
    “Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
    The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'

  3. #3
    Registered User kenlavine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Western Massachusetts
    Posts
    54
    WD40 fixed mine.....for now.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Registered User bmrrdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maumelle, AR. Little Rock area
    Posts
    44

    Front end squeak

    I had a 2013 GT. Traded it back to a GS this past spring. Anyway, mine developed a squeak last summer coming back home to Arkansas from New York. Stopped in PA at dealer in State College they couldn't find a problem. Said maybe the front tire was put on too tight.. So, when I got home to AR I called my dealer, Bentonville BMW and they told me it was most likely the front shock, as he had already changed several. It was and covered by warranty.. Good luck. I bet it is your front shock

  5. #5
    Registered User d martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    "The Gas City" SE Alberta
    Posts
    38

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Central Ct.
    Posts
    15

    If it is the front shock........

    Quote Originally Posted by bmrrdr View Post
    I had a 2013 GT. Traded it back to a GS this past spring. Anyway, mine developed a squeak last summer coming back home to Arkansas from New York. Stopped in PA at dealer in State College they couldn't find a problem. Said maybe the front tire was put on too tight.. So, when I got home to AR I called my dealer, Bentonville BMW and they told me it was most likely the front shock, as he had already changed several. It was and covered by warranty.. Good luck. I bet it is your front shock
    ...They're not saying so or suggesting they change it.....certainly not before my warranty runs out.

  7. #7
    Registered User bmrrdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maumelle, AR. Little Rock area
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmrsnct View Post
    ...They're not saying so or suggesting they change it.....certainly not before my warranty runs out.
    Of course not. You will have to keep on them. I can almost guarantee you it's the shock. Good luck

  8. #8

    Front end squeak

    My riding buddy commented that my bike was particularly quiet. I told him, it's not warm enough out. On a long, hot ride to Birmingham, AL the squeak came back. The problem is I can video it but can not replicate it when the dealer has it. The mechanics or good, but the are light and don't have enough time to have the problem occur. (About 20-30 minutes on a hot day)

    They know about my complaint; the next step is to have a good video to take it to the dealer.

  9. #9
    Registered User bmrrdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maumelle, AR. Little Rock area
    Posts
    44
    I called my dealer and told him what it was doing. He said you need a shock. He ordered it and put it on when it came in. I bet corporate has slowed the dealers down on replacing them..

  10. #10

    Squeak

    I purchased a used 2012, the previous owner said it had developed the squeak, dealer replaced the shock under warranty with the updated version and the problem went away.
    Good luck.

  11. #11
    i've got it, sprayed it, fix lasted about a month
    Tom Barrie
    http://bluegrasspicker.blogspot.com/
    2012 K1600GTL
    2002 R1150RT (sold)

  12. #12

    2013 k1600 gtl

    I developed "the Squeek" 1.5 years into my warranty period. Went specifically with an appointment to the dealership for this problem ONLY. The service manager said we rarely get something like this. The service tech said he has never run across this problem. I was grilled thoroughly to see if I ride in the rain frequently LOL, but said that mostly happens when touring as I don't as a rule go out riding when its raining. In the end the tech thoroughly squirted the shock and bushing with lubricant but it only worked for 5-10 minutes. This "service" was performed once more over the next year, and with me "making sure that it is noted on a service ticket of which I was assured, and they would let me know if BMW comes up with the fix. Well, warranty has run out and I changed my service to another dealership who stated "unfortunately there is not a record of this service". So, I'm out of luck with the bmr Gods. I was told that MOST owners resort to Wilburs shocks, but the ride is more stiff. For now, ear plugs totally block out the sound so it doesn't spoil the ride.

  13. #13
    I ride with DOG 2bikers1collie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA, USA
    Posts
    579
    I have not heard that the Wilburs are more stiff at all. In fact you can tell them what your normal payload weight is on the bike, and they will adjust the shocks accordingly before sending them back to you. I'll be changing out to Wilburs this winter, as my stock shocks are definably over the hill.
    ---
    Jess & Christine, the Chauffeurs, for Tobi & Skye the Border Collies.
    2013 K1600 GTL (the boys' ride), 2016 S1000XR (The grrrl's ride)
    Motorcycle Safety Foundation Coach#166465

  14. #14

    Trpt16

    I have a 2015 K1600GT that started doing the front end squeak after riding all day long. I took it to the dealer and he said he couldn't hear it, but he only rode it for a little while. I only have 12000 miles on the bike and I want to get rid of the squeak before I go out west this summer. Does anyone know for sure what causes it. At least then I could go into the dealer and insist that the bad part be replaced under warranty.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri
    Posts
    3

    Smile K16 squeak

    Quote Originally Posted by trpt16 View Post
    I have a 2015 K1600GT that started doing the front end squeak after riding all day long. I took it to the dealer and he said he couldn't hear it, but he only rode it for a little while. I only have 12000 miles on the bike and I want to get rid of the squeak before I go out west this summer. Does anyone know for sure what causes it. At least then I could go into the dealer and insist that the bad part be replaced under warranty.
    My 2016 K16GTL started squeaking right after the warranty expired. I turn my radio up and ride faster and between the wind noise and radio volume, the squeak goes away.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •